What's new

50k mile transmission failure?

Rat_Power_78

Member Number
Loc
Austin, MN
Since there seem to be people on here that know something about everything I figured I’d ask this here.

I have a 2018 Ram 3500 with the 6.4 hemi. I have owned it since new. Late last week while pulling a trailer it started acting up. I essentially had only first and i think fifth gear. It would not downshift and manual control did nothing. I made it to my destination, unloaded the equipment I was delivering and headed for home. After being shut off for a little while, the truck acted normal for about the first quarter mile. Then it made a short but very hard shift into one of the upper gears and went back to what it had been doing.

Eventually the check engine light came on. I don’t remember what the Trouble code was exactly but it was something to do with overdrive pressure? We cleared the code to see if that would help. The check engine light stayed on, but the truck went back to normal.

It acted fine again until Monday morning. Again same thing, hook up to a trailer to pull a skid loader across town and it starts to act up. Since then the problem has gotten worse. Yesterday morning, on the way to drop it off at the dealer. It was like the truck could not decide what gear it wanted to be in.

The dealer tells me it needs a new transmission. Fortunately I still have power train warranty but just barely. As of yesterday they had not torn into it far enough to determine what the actual problem is but I was doing a little reading about it. It looks like there may be some kind of valve body issue where pressure is able to bleed a crossed into areas it’s not supposed to? I couldn’t find anything very positive, and I don’t know if I really trust diesel tuner forums in general.

Service guy at dealer says he’s seen a couple of these in two years. To me that sounds more common than it should be. Have any of you experienced anything like this? Should I be concerned that I’m going to have to do this again in another 50k?

The truck regularly pulls an equipment trailer with a skid loader and attachments on it and is used lightly in the winter for plowing, but I don’t beat on my trucks. At least not the one I’m depending every day. I’m definitely concerned that Dodge has not gotten away from the transmission problems it was known for several years ago.

Last edited:
Sounds like you just needed a seal or o ring
I wouldnt worry much about it,if it happens again dont assume you need a whole transmission

Paragraphs?

Did you have the valve body recall/tsb done?

Its got powertrain warranty for another year/approx 9000 miles according to the dealer. Its covered this time but should I expect to do another in another 50k miles?

Yep paragraphs would have been better. I did not know about the valve body tsb. I will look into that.

I don’t remember specifics. I had a 16 Power Wagon. While in for something else, they did the valve body or solenoids. I hadn’t noticed any issues at that point, but free fluid change, so not gonna say no.

So also not sure if it applies to or was factory fixed on a 18.

Truck was over 70k miles on it, ~50k of that on 37s and 10% towing. New owner is still beating on it.

Ok, I edited the first post into paragraphs like it should be:flipoff2:.

I will ask the dealer about a TSB for the valve body. I'm going to read up on this a bit more tonight as well. I did read an article by I think BD Diesel where in some cases the valve body was at fault. It was allowing pressure to get into circuits it wasnt supposed to at certain times or something like that? There was also some talk about solenoid issues including wear in the solenoid bore? I dont know a lot about the innards of an auto trans so I could be way off on that.

My real concern is, will this always be a problem? I am pretty dependent on this truck in both my personal and professional life so I need to be able to trust it.

Dealers wont replace anything internal past a filter or relay pack/board. Easier to swap out the whole package and send it.

I had a 2018 with the 6.4. Seems like there was a recall for the torque converter. Had mine replaced before 20K. It had a new rear end at that point also.

My 6.4 had the TQ fail at 59,994 miles. Quite a bit of other work. I flatbedded it to the dealer since I was 10 miles out. They couldn’t believe it. I didn’t get a new trans, but about 5500 in repairs. They renewed the warranty on the trans too so I guess I’m good to 120k. Got really lucky.

I got rid of the 18 I had. A lot of time in the shop, and the truck was never quite right after they “fixed” the transmission and rear end. Think I documented that in the Ram thread at the other place.

Typical Dodge.

We put 5 transmissions in one before 200k, had another that went 250k on the stocker.

68RFE? if so, unfortunately it’s a common. Mine had similar issues around 80k, and I don’t even tow. I Replaced valve body with an upgraded reman from Revmax and the solenoid shift pack ($1,100 ish) and so far so good. Took a couple of hours, and had to perform a relearn with trans. If I used my truck for towing I would look seriously at installing some of the ATS diesel 68RFE upgrade components such as the billet valve body and flex plate, as well as their module to run increased line pressure. glad yours is replaced under warranty this time.

Talked to the dealer today. After almost two weeks they are still waiting for a replacement trans. Shop manager said he is hoping to see it tomorrow.

Hoping to get it back before the week is out but not going to count on it.

Can save you some time, Ram customer care is absolutely worthless. They did nothing meaningful to help speed the process up.
Well, you are correct. Trans is not expected to arrive until May 8th (third time its been pushed back). Only warranty on new parts will be whatever is left of original warranty, which equates to about 8 months or about 9,000 miles.

On top of that, my other truck decided functional gauges are a luxury I no longer need.

Well, you are correct. Trans is not expected to arrive until May 8th (third time its been pushed back). Only warranty on new parts will be whatever is left of original warranty, which equates to about 8 months or about 9,000 miles.

On top of that, my other truck decided functional gauges are a luxury I no longer need.
Sounds like you would qualify for the Lemon Law in the State of Minnesota. Minnesota Lemon Laws | DMV.ORG Since its likely to be out of service for greater than 30 days, and it's during the warranty period. All you need do is notify the manufacturer in writing, mentioning 'lemon law" (or so I'm reading with just a brief glance) ... Since you're so close to warranty expiring, I'd pursue this. It's a well known fact the 'light duty' ram transmission has a high failure rate (68RFE), which is why I bought the 1-ton to also get the heavy duty trans (Aisin)

Talked to the dealer today. After almost two weeks they are still waiting for a replacement trans. Shop manager said he is hoping to see it tomorrow.

Hoping to get it back before the week is out but not going to count on it.
Hopefully they gave you a loaner. I camped up there for a couple hours being quite loud about needing a loaner and got a 1500 hemi big horn 2wd to drive for the 6 weeks they had my truck. Ridiculous amount of time for a trans rebuild, but the loaner was pretty nice and more fuel efficient.

Yeah, $5,500 in repairs and trans that failed at 60k sure sounds lucky to me...:flipoff2:
Well it was $5500 that was covered by the warranty that I was 6 miles under the limit on. I consider that lucky. One more trip to work and back, and I'd be over 60k and I'm sure they would have given me the finger.

Forgot to update this so here goes.

Got the truck back mid-June, just over 2 months after dropping it off at the dealer. So far trans has been fine but im not thinking I want to trust it beyond its warranty.

Replacement trans has 3 year/100k warranty which is far better than what the dealer had initially told me.

Forgot to update this so here goes.

Got the truck back mid-June, just over 2 months after dropping it off at the dealer. So far trans has been fine but im not thinking I want to trust it beyond its warranty.

Replacement trans has 3 year/100k warranty which is far better than what the dealer had initially told me.
Was yours the 6sp or 8sp?

Top Back Refresh