What's new

5-Point Harnesses - What to Get?

So in looking thru PRP, they make the 4.3 with the shoulder belts and and lap belts sewn together. basically swim into it and just simply latch it. You can buy the crotch strap seperate to make it a 5 point. Thoughts on this style versus a traditional all 5 seperate. Seems like it would be handy?

So in looking thru PRP, they make the 4.3 with the shoulder belts and and lap belts sewn together. basically swim into it and just simply latch it. You can buy the crotch strap seperate to make it a 5 point. Thoughts on this style versus a traditional all 5 seperate. Seems like it would be handy?
Hate it.

When you're upside down and your shit's on fire you don't want to fight the belts to get out.

As far as the "sewn shoulders help me put my harness correctly" narrative, I don't know what to say. Just put the damn belts on before driving.

I'm not a fan of the sewn harnesses for many reason, comfort and safety being the main two. Adding a sub belt that is adjustable properly makes the world of difference in how comfortable lap belts fit and safety. Not only do the keep you from sliding forward them mainly keep the lap belt Down when tightening shoulder straps.

That's exactly what's in my rig.

Thats the style I'm running and like it. Makes it quicker to put on. I also liked the chest strap to keep them from. Sliding off the kids shoulders.

I can see how in a race rig that they might not be a good idea since you can't get out as quick as a traditional 5 point.

I have the 5 point with the shoulder and laps sewn together. I wouldn't (probably couldn't pass tech inspection anyway) run them in a race or competition scenario but I like them for a trail rig. As far as comfort, I see no difference from a standard 5 point. Where is does help is ease/quickness of putting them on. This is especially true if you have a rider not familiar with 5 point latch and link systems.

I have the 5 point with the shoulder and laps sewn together. I wouldn't (probably couldn't pass tech inspection anyway) run them in a race or competition scenario but I like them for a trail rig. As far as comfort, I see no difference from a standard 5 point. Where is does help is ease/quickness of putting them on. This is especially true if you have a rider not familiar with 5 point latch and link systems.
They are not race legal as the are not cert'ed in any way.

I guess i better not get those if I ever plan to enter my ghetto fab truggy in KOH:lmao::flipoff2:

I was gonna race my ultrapoor car in Dirtriot at RC and would have needed to swap them which is the only reason I really know. I like the sewn in uppers in my buggy.

So what's the consensus on bolt in vs clip in? Need new harnesses for my flat fender. It's got a basic 6 point cage right now that I'll be adding a harness bar to, but there's nothing but floor for the lower attachment points currently.

Remember the Lap belt is what keeps you in place, the shoulder belts keep you back. Add a sub belt to keep the lap down over your pelvis. Try to avoid having the adjusters in the seating area especially don't have them over your hips/body on the lap. Shit hurts when bouncing around

So what's the consensus on bolt in vs clip in? Need new harnesses for my flat fender. It's got a basic 6 point cage right now that I'll be adding a harness bar to, but there's nothing but floor for the lower attachment points currently.
All solutions are as good as the anchor points.

Whatever is the most convenient for you. Doesn't really matter. Just make sure to use sandwich plates to give the mounting point a large footprint.

I know everyone is going to hate this, but here goes.

For a non-racing trail rig, 90% of the battle is wearing something. When I had true 5-point harnesses, they were always a pain. I didn’t use my POS crawler long enough for it to be an issue, but I’m confident I would’ve gotten to the point that I didn’t buckle up every time I got in.

I use the click 6’s every time I get in. I don’t have to gripe at passengers to use them, because they’re the easiest thing in the world to buckle. Fight the forward thigh belts tight, and you’re good for the day. They’re so damned forgiving for moving around, the retractors seem to work reliably, and they’re very comfortable.

It’s a long way from ideal. But if everyday divers had 5-point harnesses, you’d have far more many 3-point preventable deaths, since people wouldn’t wear the fucking 5-points.

When I had true 5-point harnesses, they were always a pain.
Learn how to use them.

people wouldn’t wear the fucking 5-points.
People are dumb.
Don't be like people.

Looking at the Click6, I don't like it at all. Chest strap and the fact the shoulder straps are not separated from the lap belts makes it hard to get out in case of fire/water.

Learn how to use them.

People are dumb.
Don't be like people.

Looking at the Click6, I don't like it at all. Chest strap and the fact the shoulder straps are not separated from the lap belts makes it hard to get out in case of fire/water.

What portion of deaths and serious injuries in a trail rig are due to fire or drowning, though? How many people connected to this very site have been injured or worse who were busy not wearing their harnesses at the time?

I would wager an uneducated, anecdotal guess that most injuries that would’ve been prevented by proper harness use are due to impact with the frame or impact with the ground. So, anything that helps nudge people toward use, I’m for.

Helmet use is the same story. My wife and I wear DOT helmets, but we’re the exception. And it’s damned tough to make yourself put that on when it’s hot and you’re just casually cruising. How many head injuries could’ve been saved by wearing those delicate Axel helmets? When it’s 105 degrees, I’d be way more likely to put one of those on than the heavy hot bastard.

A lower barrier to entry on safety stuff is sometimes a good thing.

I have PRP 5 point harnesses in by buggy with the EZ adjusters on both lap and shoulder straps. Lap belts have pull up EZ adjusters located on the outside of the seat and they don't work as intended. You can't pull in the loose end of the lap belt and hope it will tighten. The friction when the lap belt goes trough the seat slots makes the EZ adjuster to stop working.
PRP latch link buckle is much more difficult to latch than my Simpson latch link harness. The geometry of the Simpson buckle must be better.

I have pro1 ratcheting belts. IMO say no to 3" straps. there's information out there on Google about how the lap belt fits in your pelvis better with a 2" vs a 3". the 3" shoulders will interfere with Hans devices too if you wear one.

cam locks are cool if you don't wheel in the mud. if you do you'll need to take them apart and clean/lube them regularly. in my experience. I like latch n link personally.

bolt in vs clip in. I like bolt in with double shear tabs and pins, if packaging allows. not many buggies have room for that mine included so clip in is pretty convenient. I have eye bolts but found out McMaster sells the weld on eyelets $12/ea part number 8892T21. clip in makes maintenance easier. might not matter on a trail beater that only comes apart when something is broken. hours saved on a race car that comes apart several times a season.

ratcheting lap belts. this is my first set and just installed them, so no seat time with them yet except for adjusting in the garage. I like the idea of them but time will tell. mine use a 1/4" ratchet that is held in place with a set screw. don't think they're necessary for a trail donkey.

lap belts loosening is mostly a function of suspension seats. you're basically sitting on a trampoline, as the webbing in the seat rebounds, your waist and spine are smashed up into harnesses that are fixed position. theres a little seat settling but thats mostly what causes the belts to loosen. first time I co drove in a car with shell seats was a game changer. never had to tighten my belts and was much more secure in the seat. we can argue until the cows come home about rock rigs and chassis contact with rocks but we g'ed out hard a couple times that race and it felt no different than slamming a skid plate into a rock in a suspension seat. shell seats for me from now on.

I’m running the PRP 5.3’s and have zero complaints. My sub and laps are set and I just loosen the shoulders before I get out. Makes it easy to latch getting back in. I have ran out of talent in my rig twice with one of those being 2.5 times over quickly and violently. Walked away not times without even a bruise.

IMG_6745.jpeg
IMG_6987.jpeg
IMG_1463.jpeg

Last edited:
I know everyone is going to hate this, but here goes.

For a non-racing trail rig, 90% of the battle is wearing something. When I had true 5-point harnesses, they were always a pain. I didn’t use my POS crawler long enough for it to be an issue, but I’m confident I would’ve gotten to the point that I didn’t buckle up every time I got in.

I use the click 6’s every time I get in. I don’t have to gripe at passengers to use them, because they’re the easiest thing in the world to buckle. Fight the forward thigh belts tight, and you’re good for the day. They’re so damned forgiving for moving around, the retractors seem to work reliably, and they’re very comfortable.

It’s a long way from ideal. But if everyday divers had 5-point harnesses, you’d have far more many 3-point preventable deaths, since people wouldn’t wear the fucking 5-points.

I put a driver Click6 in my JK, and have now used it for 4 off road trips (Sand Hollow, 2X JV trips, and Rubicon) and it is in my opinion hands down the best solution for a rec wheeler. I'm using it with a stock JK seat, but I bet they'd be even better with a PRP style seat.

Immi won't sell to consumers, at least they wouldn't when I tried 6 months ago, so you have to buy a Polaris or Kawasaki branded one. I got mine for a RZR. I chose to get the ones for the front seat with individual shoulder retractors mounted on the harness bar. The back seat ones have a single retractor that goes under the seat, which seemed less than ideal for my application. Driver seat has a wire coming off it that I thought I was going to wire into the stock sensor, I still haven't yet.

AJK Offroad sell tabs for the Click 6 Click 6 Tabs - AJK OffRoad

The 4 point lap belt holds you very secure, way better than a 2 point lap belt. The shoulder belts lock and unlock when you think they should.

My only gripe is that you need to pay attention to where the tabs are. The lap belts are pull up adjusters, and the fixed end goes to the floor. For me the adjusters are a bit close to the floor. For a universal fit application, it would be nicer if that was longer, but you could make up for it with a taller floor tab.

The real test will be when I put one on the passenger seat for my wife, but she's preggo now and not wheeling, so that hasn't been a priority.

Did you actually try one? I'm amazed how fast it is to get in and out. Rubber chest strap doesn't seem any less legit than the plastic one on my old PRPs.

The fact that you can lean forward and grab something from the glove box, or reach over and help the passenger, or get a trail soda from the cooler, or look out the window to spot your line, without loosening or removing a shoulder harness makes them way safer for how I use my rig.

They're not for everyone. Race cars take race car parts, but I think these are the best solution for rec wheelers. I have a 1 ton JKU on stickies and generally wheel with all buggies.

Top Back Refresh