What's new

5.7 Hemi First Start After Cam Replacement

lpukas2

Maintains those stupid things that fly
Member Number
Loc
Vail, AZ
Its been a few years since if done engine work. Cam took a shit in my 12 Ram with a 5.7. Getting ready to install new cam, lifters, headers, and MDS delete. What is the best way to get the cam broke in. People are saying to pull the fuel pump fuse and turn the engine over for 10 sec or so to get oil pressure up. The sheet that cam with the new cam (Comp Cams) says to start it ASAP.

Also, any other things I am missing? Run engine around 20 min between 1500-200 RPM and change the oil.

New Hellcat lifters - non MDS
New Comp Cam
Heads have been cleaned and inspected by Machine shop
Headers to replace the shitty stock manifolds
New water pump
MDS delete with plugs and tuner

Will not be replacing the oil pump or timing chain, I cannot rotate the pump to get the pickup tube off of it.

It's a roller lifter right? No real break in needed. That's a flat tappet thing. Soak the lifters in oil before install to get oil in the passages and rollers.

However, you said the old cam was wiped out? How did you clean all of the metal out of the engine before you are putting it back together?

Just start it and run it. No need for break in like a flat tappet. You can run it and then change the oil but I have replaced quite a few and never bothered. Still see most of those customers for regular maintenance and no issues to report.

It's a roller lifter right? No real break in needed. That's a flat tappet thing. Soak the lifters in oil before install to get oil in the passages and rollers.

However, you said the old cam was wiped out? How did you clean all of the metal out of the engine before you are putting it back together?
This has been on going for a while. The shit rollers lifters seize up on the certain year 5.7 truck engines. The damage is a slow process until the cam gets so flat the valve stops working. The metal from the cam has been slowly depositing itself into the oil.

This has been on going for a while. The shit rollers lifters seize up on the certain year 5.7 truck engines. The damage is a slow process until the cam gets so flat the valve stops working. The metal from the cam has been slowly depositing itself into the oil.
It deposits into the oil after it gets run through the rest of the engine, like the rollers of the new lifters you are going to put in.

Just did one this weekend.

Put new shit in, start, drive it and change the oil and filter after a few hours of run time and you're good.

Top Back Refresh