What's new

4th gen topper on 3rd gen

Wheelin66bronco

Pure Blood
Member Number
Loc
Star Valley, Wyoming
Anyone know if a 4th gen topper will fit a 3rd gen bed well? Mega cab, so short box. I'm guessing the tailgate seal may be the only issue. 4th gen toppers are so much more available at this point.

Answered my own question today. At least SnugTop will not fit. Interference in the top center of cab causing the topper to be 1" too far back for front bed seal, and topper hangs over the rear 1".
Bummer because 3rd gen short box toppers are hard to find.

Picked up a "like new" ARE topper for $400. It was on an 06 short bed 1500, part # even says it's for an 06 1500. Can't imagine what the difference would be between 1500 and 2500, it fits perfect.
Sanded and ready for color match paint. Tough to keep the shop warm enough when it's in the single digits outside, burning a lot of oil today.
PXL_20221119_230945397.jpg

Wow, $400 is a good deal. It seems like anytime I’ve looked people want $1000+ for a decent one, or $500 for one of the aluminum framed ones that fits nothing well.

Last edited:
Wow, $400 is a good deal. It seems like anything I’ve looked people want $1000+ for a decent one, or $500 for one of the aluminum framed ones that fits nothing well.
That's what I expected going down the rabbit hole looking for one.
KSL classifieds that covers SE ID, SW WY, and salt lake actually had dozens in the $400-$800 range. I was pleasantly surprised to find this one close to me in ID and for that price.
I tried a 4th gen first, bed lines fit but the top of the cab interferes.

I ended up with a softopper. Mainly because I need it off the truck and out of my way the majority of the year.

Top Back Refresh