What's new

4th gen ram wiring issue

Mattafact

Yellow Skull
Member Number
Loc
The Real Valley
I have a 2018 Ram 6.7 4x4 with ~75k miles that I bought in April. It has never quite started right but it took me a while to notice. This is my 3rd 4th gen and the others I had all started exactly the same, after a couple revolutions. This one would start fine sometimes, other times it would take a bit longer and then it started taking really long and I was getting the service electronic throttle control warning message.

Pulled the codes it was the CPS. Changed the CPS and that didn't fix it. I suck at electrical so I took it to a local diesel mechanic and they said they shook the wires and it made the code go on and off. Said they would order me a pigtail and never did. Wouldn't even return my calls. Next I took it to my local dealer and they said it's the CPS. I told them it's a new cummins sensor, bought from Ram and that it needed a pig tail. The service advisor ignored me, put a new sensor in and when that didnt fix it they said I needed a pig tail. :flipoff2:

They put the pig tail in and that didn't fix it. They said they were going to do an overlay harness back to the computer and see if that fixed it. Said they did it and that it didn't fix it. Then they called today and said they did it again and that it fixed it but that I should really get a new harness. He said it was $5k because they needed to pull the engine. It took them 6 weeks to get to this point so I'm sure as hell not letting them change an engine.

I did some digging and found a new OEM harness for $1000. Do you really need to pull the engine to change it? I love the truck but electrical gremlins make me want to trade it in and take the loss.

What say IBB?

I hate 4th gens. Electric nightmares.

That being said, theres no reason to pull the engine :shaking: Maybe pull the cab. Im betting the harness itself isn't bad, but the pins/connectors themselves are.

Is this out of pocket or covered under the powertrain warranty?

I hate 4th gens. Electric nightmares.

That being said, theres no reason to pull the engine :shaking: Maybe pull the cab. Im betting the harness itself isn't bad, but the pins/connectors themselves are.

Is this out of pocket or covered under the powertrain warranty?
Out of pocket. Haha.

Truck passed the test drive with the new harness but it's leaking coolant from a tube seal that the tech removed installing the harness. :laughing:

Any day now. It's only been 2 months.

Top Back Refresh