What's new

4th Gen 4Runner: Cross Country Runner

It's not as busy during the week but weekends and holidays it's a mad house. Right now everyone is gearing up for rally. But like Labor day weekend we will run into groups of 20-30 sxs every 30 mins.

Flag Mountain was an old fire tower lookout similar to Cement Ridge, don't think I mentioned that.

Last day here. Rained all day so we went and did tourist stuff.

Jewel Cave, Mt. Rushmore, and Candyland. Headed back east tomorrow.

Damn it I love this state.

Last day here. Rained all day so we went and did tourist stuff.

Jewel Cave, Mt. Rushmore, and Candyland. Headed back east tomorrow.

Damn it I love this state.

Great wheeling there.

Really, really, really wish we had purchased a place in Nemo in 2018-2019 when we were thinking about it. Prices are up 300%.

That area was on our list to check out also, we never even made it there to look and opted for NID since we would know other people here. Hind sight that was basically not a factor. Relocating your life is a strange experience.

Have an appointment next week for tint on the windows. Then I’m going to detail it. Then start on swapping in the FJ Cruiser t-case as well as building skid plates and rock sliders.

Too many projects adding up, but this is usually always priority.

I'll admit I hit the easy button with skid plates, just seemed like kinda a pain yo build under there.

Although I'm not super happy with them, they are beefy as fuck.

I'll admit I hit the easy button with skid plates, just seemed like kinda a pain yo build under there.

Although I'm not super happy with them, they are beefy as fuck.

Man, I know…but I priced out everything and it was a stupid amount of money.

They also get you with an engine/transmission skid, then a transfer case skid, and oh you need a gas tank skid because these gas tanks are in terrible locations. Combined total is like $1,200.

I can build something. :laughing:

Great wheeling there.

Really, really, really wish we had purchased a place in Nemo in 2018-2019 when we were thinking about it. Prices are up 300%.
Yea there is!! I did my shakedown run after my SAS in the black hills, I want to go back there BAD!!

Today we hit Camp 5 road. Headed in from the north end, and the wife refused to let me go over this obstacle. I got the look and a head nod, “No.” :laughing:

8CDBA663-F11E-4EAD-8211-F23FFEC7AAB9.jpeg

So I recommended heading in from the south to explore the trail more. So we did that. She shot me down at this spot next.

DA2540AE-D876-436F-8D1D-E20751A340F2.jpeg

I was pretty certain we’d make it just fine. Her gut feeling on the second spot ended up working out, because as we got back to the FS road a nasty storm was rolling in as I was airing back up.

I asked her what would have to happen to make her more confident in hitting more challenging trails…and she said one of two things: either she’s not there with us doing it, or we stop wheeling alone.

Obviously it’s a terrible idea wheeling alone with two kids and the wife in a place that we are not familiar with. So I guess alone with adding skid plates, and carrying more spare parts with us, I’ll be looking to hook up with people on these trips for one or two days.

Weasel said he’d be willing to meet up next year. So now I just need someone lined up for Utah. :flipoff2:

However, Moab will have a lot more people wheeling. We spent a lot of time on Camp 5 and saw 2 people who were headed the other way…that was it all day. One thing I noticed is we almost never see people on these trails out here. If we do it’s a blip and then never see anyone again.

Anyways, one more day and back home we go.
Isn't camp 5 road hal johns? If so that's a pretty gnarly trail to be wheeling an IFS 4runner with no skids on :laughing:

Isn't camp 5 road hal johns? If so that's a pretty gnarly trail to be wheeling an IFS 4runner with no skids on :laughing:

Camp 5 is like a bypass road around all the super gnarly stuff. We didn’t hit the nasty stuff.

I haven’t taken my wife in the rocks yet in the Tracker. September we have a weekend planned at Benjamin Franklin Range again and I’ll break her in on rocks then. Hopefully it will ease her mind the next time I pick a line and take my time through it in the Toyota. I’m not a huge fan of wheeling alone in rocks, but we could’ve made it. We can always…maybe…make it. :flipoff2::laughing:

That's what the winch is for :flipoff2:

My wife has been apart of plenty of bad situations getting stuck in bfe by ourselves. Including a overnight 12+ hour Winch fest in the snow. But she does not like cliffs at all. :laughing:

Last edited:
Camp 5 is like a bypass road around all the super gnarly stuff. We didn’t hit the nasty stuff.

I haven’t taken my wife in the rocks yet in the Tracker. September we have a weekend planned at Benjamin Franklin Range again and I’ll break her in on rocks then. Hopefully it will ease her mind the next time I pick a line and take my time through it in the Toyota. I’m not a huge fan of wheeling alone in rocks, but we could’ve made it. We can always…maybe…make it. :flipoff2::laughing:
I don't blame you, I don't like solo wheeling either!!

That's what the winch is for :flipoff2:

My wife has been apart of plenty of bad situations getting stuck in bfe by ourselves. Including a overnight 12+ hour Winch fest in the snow. But she does not like cliffs at all. :laughing:

My wife just needs more time out in a full size vehicle hitting harder stuff.

I also do not like cliffs or vertical climbs.

The one picture I posted had me more rattled than her. It was the ascent up a steep climb with loose rocks, and at the bottom was a super steep cliff. Toyota handled it fine. My ass was puckered. No idea why, I just don’t like climbing steep hills.

I get it, high risk situations can be stressful when you have your family in the rig and are in the middle of bfe, even if it's not that hard of an obstacle.

Utah is my favorite place so far, and I haven't even seen but probably 100 miles or less from Nevada

What's your list of destinations? I'd almost say you have to see sand hollow, even in such a mild rig.

Plan is to hit up the niece’s wedding in Colorado, then head to Moab/Arches. From there plan is to do a loop down southern Utah. Canyon lands, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Sand Hollow, to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Then home.

Last edited:
Looks like 4 years and trips to Colorado, Wyoming, and South Dakota and these junk Power Stop calipers are sticking on one piston. 16,000ish miles in them.

Anyone have luck tearing down and rebuilding your own calipers? I can’t find any calipers that are worth a fuck. Any recommendations? OEM are retarded expensive.

About 2 months away from Colorado/Utah now.

Looks like 4 years and trips to Colorado, Wyoming, and South Dakota and these junk Power Stop calipers are sticking on one piston. 16,000ish miles in them.

Anyone have luck tearing down and rebuilding your own calipers? I can’t find any calipers that are worth a fuck. Any recommendations? OEM are retarded expensive.

About 2 months away from Colorado/Utah now.

What's your dates for Colorado? We'll be there late July early August, hartsel area.

Need any zuk or Yota junk? :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh