What's new

4th gen 4runner 2uzfe timing and ecu issues crank no start and no crank no start

Zsummerhays

Dingerhopper
Member Number
Loc
Utah county Utah
I recently have had two different issues with my 4th 04 v8 gen 4runner that I had a hard time finding info about and diagnosing

1. I had unknowingly had some water leaking into the cab from the section where the inner fender meets the front of the firewall under the wiper valence.

I had parked the rig facing downhill for a few days on my side yard which is decently steep and it rains a bunch.

Water leaked down the driver kick panel behind the trim and got into some electrical that is behind it

E3D86396-CC90-4B63-B207-5C5364FB6906.png

This isn’t my photo but on the left you can see the connectors the one on the bottoms got wet and shorted. It cooked the ecu which caused it to not even power on therefore the truck was in a no crank no start situation and there was no communication with the ecu (no check engine light in the gauge cluster)

I replaced the ecu with a used unit and was able to jump pin 13 and 4 with a small length of tig rod for 30 min (longer will not hurt) and it fired right up

I ended up pulling the connector and repairing a pin the burned up then filled the connector with bulb grease, taped the hell out of it and pushed it as high up in the dash as I could.

No more issues here

2. I recently washed the engine without the engine running or warmed up and on a cold Utah winter morning

Went to fire it up after and it fired but immediately stalled

After it would crank but not fire. I was getting fuel and spark. I checked 4 of the 8 cylinders for compression and they were all at 100 psi which seemed low but not low enough to not even get a sputter.

After checking a bunch of stuff I decided to pull the timing covers and see if the belt had jumped or had broke.

I found that the timing gear at the crank had jumped 2-3 teeth

After wondering if the engine was good I decided since I still had compression I would try and do a t-belt/water pump and see if it survived.

After putting it back together it fired right up and has been running great.

I’m not sure if it was bound to happen or if washing it caused water to get on the belt or gears and freeze either way I’m greatful It’s okay and running.

The t-belt and water pump had about 97,000 miles on them so it was about time either way.

FD25D7B9-66C7-4937-9C29-034D3CECA5B6.jpeg

Top Back Refresh