What's new

47Re diagnosis and opinions

Covecrawler

Member Number
I have an 01 Ram 3500. I bought it with a bad trans.

I bought an “425hp” kit from Power Driven Diesel. Seemed like it had a lot of parts to fix some of the major issues, but no billet shafts as I’m at the stock power level. I also added a low stall billet cover single disc converter from them.

Local builder with a great reputation put it together for me a little over a year ago. Recently the 2-1 downshift has started sounding a little rough on occasion and having a pause or hard downshift.

Yesterday while driving it wouldn’t go into overdrive. Once I got to my destination I went from R to D, at a stop, at idle and it sounded very bad, and basically does nothing now except in 1 and R.

What did I destroy? Is it salvageable or am I back at square one? Any advice other than to throw this pile away? I’m super bummed at how fragile this thing seems to be despite everyone on the internet saying “build the auto”

Thanks in advance.

does nothing now except in 1 and R.
you have 1st when shifted into "D" or "Low" (1st gear via shifter all way down)?

"Low" and Reverse uses the rear band. The trans gets it's 1st gear without the rear band when shifted in "D"

Let us know, as this helps narrow down on what may be going on.

Trans does noting in D, but in 1 it will attempt to move, but still feels locked up or in a higher gear than 1 as it really struggles to move.

All gears pull the RPMS down, but the truck wont move. verified its not the converter bolts today.

This happens a lot when you bring parts to a shop. No warranty.
If you aren’t going to do it yourself, just buy the built transmission. Or even a oem replacement.

If you aren’t going to do it yourself, just buy the built transmission. Or even a oem replacement.
I understand, I knew the risk. I wouldn’t have bought the parts if I hadn’t intended to do the work. I just got too busy with work and life.

As a side note, after doing some reading I believe I broke the overrunning clutch aka sprag.

Reactions: DMG
I did this rout
it was a pain in the ass, but I got it done

Well.

The trans has been at the transmission shop for 6 weeks now.

After continual pestering he took it apart a few weeks ago, explained to me the the rear half of the transmission starved for oil due to a plugged cooler. I had him clean and flow my heat exchanger when he rebuilt the trans. I replaced the oil to air cooler and all the lines when we rebuilt it, so this is a huge bummer. Neither of us are sure what happened. He’s supposed to flow both coolers again.

I had to source a new case, the sprag ruined the steel outer collar doodad.

Regretting big time not buying a $5000 trans the first time.

A bit of an update.

I installed the transmission and a new Mishimoto Cooler. It was great for 1200 miles. Stopped shifting into OD.

Dropped off the whole truck this time. He rebuilt the OD unit again, new clutches. He replaced the OD solenoid claiming it was failing causing the clutches to burn up.

I’m at a loss and bought a 2022 Ford.

Attachments

• 7113E8EC-EA93-4835-A262-5ABFA6CF2395.jpeg
    7113E8EC-EA93-4835-A262-5ABFA6CF2395.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 17
A bit of an update.

I installed the transmission and a new Mishimoto Cooler. It was great for 1200 miles. Stopped shifting into OD.

Dropped off the whole truck this time. He rebuilt the OD unit again, new clutches. He replaced the OD solenoid claiming it was failing causing the clutches to burn up.

I’m at a loss and bought a 2022 Ford.
Ask him for pics of burned up clutches??

Top Back Refresh