What's new

44x40 Shop Build

I've started moving stuff in, running the air line, etc.

Two major construction projects remain, but I'm not sure when they're getting done.

One is the loft.

IMG_20210406_230340961-me.jpg

Stairs would be on the left, coming down behind the man door.

I need an LVL to go from side to side (40'). I'll probably add another 2x6 or two on the ends to help support it. I also will have at least one post at about the 20' mark, and it would be easy to add another at the edge of the stairs, too.

Then the plan would be 10' floor joists, overhanging the beam by 2'.

With 16' walls, I can have 8' of headroom on the floor, a 12" deep second floor, and still have ~7' ceiling.

The other big project is the bonus room.

IMG_20210321_121606547_HDR-me.jpg

IIRC 13' wide at the front and maybe 15' at the back (tapered).

The front would sport a 9x9 door, the rear a man door on the right and a window on the left (near the solar inverters).

The bonus room is only going to be 28' deep - you can see the color change on the right wall between the original garage and the lean-to, that's as far back as it goes.

I think we can lay a truss against the old garage wall for starters, add a few across.

I was told to just cut the siding on the new building, to lay in some L or J channel flush, then go forth and add the steel roofing.

On the butt splice to the old shop, I think we essentially "flash" the gap - this might be a spot for the "pitch break" panels perhaps.

I'm still hoping to hire someone that knows what they're doing, but it seems everyone is busy building still - and lumber is nuts. :D

This oversize single car would be another parking area, block off this wind tunnel (cutting down on drifts), but it also seems like a decent spot to think about painitng in.

That's why I'm planning a window on the west end, where the wind comes from - put some filters in and maybe a box fan and get a draft going.

And now we start filling it full of sh*t..

IMG_20210531_170113665-me.jpg

Finally turned some wrenches on a rig IN the shop, not working ON the shop.

Compressor is in, air lines run, power reels and hose reels in, shelves in most places.. almost ready to hook up the stereo. :D

Where is the beer fridge covered in stickers? :flipoff2:

Looks bad ass!

The beer fridge is in the old shop (now the garage) - it's a 1950s era IH unit, of course.

I've been kicking around whether I move it or not (or get another one), and I think I leave it.

If you need a drink, you walk to the old workshop and get it - if you can't make it that far, you probably don't need another. :D

More room for tools. :D

Hung some stuff from the ceiling in an attempt to cut down on the echo..

img_20210607_220324610-me-jpg.jpg

Love it! Now I just need to look for all the Ih rigs next time I come to town haha.
The Mountaineers know me.. and where/how to find me. :)

I'm hard to miss if you're not blind and have even the slightest clue where to look. :)

Though with the SnowScout in the shop, it's a little less of a landmark.. but most of the IHs are still outside.

And there's the 40' tower in back..

Top Back Refresh