What's new

4 cyl to V6 HP Locker Question

FleshEater

Ordinary Average Guy
Member Number
Loc
Pennsylvania
Is there anyway to adapt a Toyota 4 cyl. Grizzly locker to an FJ80 high pinion 3rd member?

I called East Coast Gear Supply and they said they don’t work. But I found something on the old place that briefly stated running something from Davezoffroad, but it’s a dead link.

I’m not familiar enough with what the difference is between the two. But I know there are some encyclopedias here when it comes to old Toyota swaps. :smokin:

Who did you talk to? Will really knows his shit. If he said it doesn’t work I’d be fairly inclined to believe him. I think the HP uses the V6 style carrier though. Could probably get scientific and measure bearing IDs and race OD and find an adapter bearing to go 4cyl carrier into V6 housing if that was the case.

Since this is my fault :flipoff2: I read into it.

V6 locker into 4cyl housing is pretty easy with just different p# carrier bearings. The other way around seems a little more unknown. One guy mentioned making shims to fit between the bearing ID and carrier OD but I don't think anyone has done it.

I'd think if you were serious about going HP, the complete 4cyl 3rd with 5.29s and a grizzly would be much more valuable than trying to rob the locker out and sell just the gears?

Since this is my fault :flipoff2: I read into it.

V6 locker into 4cyl housing is pretty easy with just different p# carrier bearings. The other way around seems a little more unknown. One guy mentioned making shims to fit between the bearing ID and carrier OD but I don't think anyone has done it.

I'd think if you were serious about going HP, the complete 4cyl 3rd with 5.29s and a grizzly would be much more valuable than trying to rob the locker out and sell just the gears?

Yeah, I see that now. Looks like Davezoffroadperformance had them. Someone called them wedding rings.

I guess since I have everything in front of me I can see what is needed. Might be easy enough to build a shim. Easier and more betterer than dropping $860 on a new locker.

Fwiw
Zip
I dumped the ancient arb ? Rd23? V-6 carriers From my 83 s/a diff right into the hi pinnion.
Yes I had conversion bearings as mentioned above
Ymmv

Yesir

Unfortunately the 4 cyl carrier may not be doable.
As the ?spindle? for the carrier bearing is probably the wrong size( to small) the conversion bearing (iirc) have a thinner race, so as to fit the 4 cyl. bearing caps...

Let's look at the posts # 5 and quote #6
The quote doesn't have the
V-6 carrier???:eek: wtf over:beer:

Holee Fawk!!!!

This might be it.

I’ll call Will and talk to him, Byro and see. This might be my saving grace to run an HP 3rd.

Ext. 1011

I don’t see how a bearing doesn’t exist that is the 4cyl ID and V6 OD. Then again, I’m no scientist.

We sent a man to the moon in the 60's with a slide rule...
So YEA:lmao:

Yeah, I see that now. Looks like Davezoffroadperformance had them. Someone called them wedding rings.

I guess since I have everything in front of me I can see what is needed. Might be easy enough to build a shim. Easier and more betterer than dropping $860 on a new locker.

What I'm saying is that 3rd is complete, it's worth something ($1800 from a vendor), so why not try selling it to fund a HP locker instead of robbing the locker from it and making it almost worthless? 3rds are easy to ship, so you can advertise it anywhere.

Reactions: Clb
Email Gearinstalls.com ZUK and see what he says?

FleshEater did you see this:
CA - 8" toyota High Pinion third. Stock

That’s a great price, but would be expensive to ship.

What I'm saying is that 3rd is complete, it's worth something ($1800 from a vendor), so why not try selling it to fund a HP locker instead of robbing the locker from it and making it almost worthless? 3rds are easy to ship, so you can advertise it anywhere.

It won’t be useless. I’ll have a spare R&P for my rear 3rd member in the buggy. Used stuff isn’t selling very well and especially not Toyota stuff.

No luck. Those bearings are to adapt a V6 into a 4 cylinder. But GearInstalls.com has a thread on it.

Not sure about the ring gear not laying tight on the locker…probably just going to drop the coin on a new locker.

That’s a great price, but would be expensive to ship.

Last few 3rds I shipped were like $60-80

It won’t be useless. I’ll have a spare R&P for my rear 3rd member in the buggy. Used stuff isn’t selling very well and especially not Toyota stuff.

Maybe not over there, but lots of guys still running Toyota axles on this side of the country. post it on ebay, it would probably sell. The 2 seconds I searched, there was a similar one for $1400.

We did it 10+ years ago but I can’t recall how. I’ll try to remember.

Edit. Maybe it was not a full case locker.

I've done it recently with a low pinion v6 diff and a 4cyl Detroit locker. You have to freeze the diff, I'm serious like a couple days in the freezer and the you have to heat the fuck out of the sieeve. It's still a hard interference press fit and I had one break. Buy 3 when you attempt it.

1000007248.jpg

Just so people know when looking at the thread

4cylinder bearing journal is 45mm

V6/hp bearing journal is 50mm

B4Runner do you have any pics of that diff we put together?

I've done it recently with a low pinion v6 diff and a 4cyl Detroit locker. You have to freeze the diff, I'm serious like a couple days in the freezer and the you have to heat the fuck out of the sieeve. It's still a hard interference press fit and I had one break. Buy 3 when you attempt it.

1000007248.jpg

This allows you to run the V6 bearings then, correct?

I had a set of wedding ring from Dave’s worked great. They were like what sluggy posted. But with less ID interference he recommended the green lock tight for sleeve locking iirc.

Top Back Refresh