What's new

4.3 guys.. Flywheel balance question..

urjb

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Pollock Pines, CA
So I'm doing a 4.3 v-6 swap into a Jeep.. engine is non Vortec with a 1 pc rear main seal. came with a flywheel and new clutch mounted to it, but I know it was never ran with that set-up. It came from someone else's project, and i dont have ultimate faith in the parties who screwed it together.

my search does not come to a definitive answer, but it looks like if it fits, it'll work. meaning since the bolt pattern is right, it must be for a 1 pc seal engine, and it looks like the v-8 flywheels are the same by matching up a part # i found while searching.

https://mcleodautomotive.com/product/v2010/

just looking for some confirmation before it put it together.

thanks.

They are the same. I run a v8 flywheel and t5 trans from an 87 Camaro behind a 4.3

They are neutral balance - they use the same flexplate as the 305/350.

What is weird is the factory 4.3L flywheels I have found are heavier/thicker than the V8 counterparts. Perhaps related to the engine being balance-shaft or not? TBI was used on some balance shaft engines also. (93-95ish)

They are neutral balance - they use the same flexplate as the 305/350.

What is weird is the factory 4.3L flywheels I have found are heavier/thicker than the V8 counterparts. Perhaps related to the engine being balance-shaft or not? TBI was used on some balance shaft engines also. (93-95ish)

Thanks,

This actually came with 2 Flywheels.. the one that was bolted to it is very heavy. It has a small area that is "lighter".. meaning it has a bit of a void cast into it (this is consistent with my search).. no markings at all on it.

The other that was just kinda thrown in with the package is a little lighter and has a "heavy" spot cast in some four digit # cast in it but nothing that looks like a part #.

planning to run the heavy flywheel.. haven't weighed either one. I havent opened up the engine yet, but I dont think it has a balance shaft.. timing cover looks normal. I would ask the guy the guy I got it from but...

Top Back Refresh