Projectjunkie

Whatever
Member Number
Loc
Tucson Az
20230501_104244.jpg

I bought a 10k forklift with the pulley separate

20230501_105018.jpg

Anyways, it's a MFer to get in there to work, even with the counterweight off, I don't think I can deal with the bolts with it in there.

What's the right puller for that bad boy?

Looks like you need to weld the broken bolts out first. After a that any sbc/bbc/any other 3 bolt puller will peal it right off.

Looks like you need to weld the broken bolts out first. After a that any sbc/bbc/any other 3 bolt puller will peal it right off.

That's the hard part, I slid my phone up underneath to take that picture, welding won't be easy, damn near impossible

If I could extract them in the machine, I'd just bolt the pulley back on

My understanding is it's just a press fit, not sure if they're the same in the auto world, but they are in the forklift world

Definitely is a press fit. Is the center 7/16" bolt broken off too? If there is no room for a welder I doubt there is any room for a generic 3 jaw puller

Definitely is a press fit. Is the center 7/16" bolt broken off too? If there is no room for a welder I doubt there is any room for a generic 3 jaw puller

Center bolt? I'm not sure what's supposed to be in the center, or what I'm looking at in that picture, whether that's a bolt head, or a threaded hole. I'll know more in the morning

I'm thinking there's nothing to grab
Screenshot_20230526_205039_Chrome.jpg

This is the LS tool that looks doable

Screenshot_20230526_205132_Chrome.jpg

The good ones are $100 and the $40 ones bend after one use

I'll probably crawl in there with a welder tomorrow and melt something to something else:laughing:
buy the cheap one soak it in BP blaster, preload it up to the bending point and whack it with a hammer, you might get lucky.

oh ya gentle heat:flipoff2:

buy the cheap one soak it in BP blaster, preload it up to the bending point and whack it with a hammer, you might get lucky.

oh ya gentle heat:flipoff2:

I can get pb blaster to it, but not much of a hammer:laughing:

I'd consider welding my slide hammer to it

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Edit:

Worse case I'll weld that fucking pulley to the balancer :laughing:

I can get pb blaster to it, but not much of a hammer:laughing:

I'd consider welding my slide hammer to it

We'll see what tomorrow brings.
just thinking preload it then apply some shockload to jar it loose.

did I miss why your pulling it?

I always used puller from auto zone and don't have issue doing that, but never had it bad as yours yet so

room for a 3 jaw puller?

Fucking piece of shit Northstar I got the fucked water pump out but I damn sure couldn’t get the new water pump in without the special fucking tool!

I’d shove the carbide bit in a die grinder and make room for standard puller

Pulley attachment bolts seem to have sheared away.

Center bolt head is missing or totally gone, which would make it easier.

just thinking preload it then apply some shockload to jar it loose.

did I miss why your pulling it?

Pulley attachment bolts seem to have sheared away.

Center bolt head is missing or totally gone, which would make it easier.
The link he posted had fingers that reach behind the balancer through the slots so it didn't use the threaded bolts.

I was understanding he was pulling it to replace it as the bolts that holdnon the pulley look to be sheared off and the pulley is toast.

The 3 bolts that hold the pulley to the balancer sheared off, I need to bolt it back on

I need to remove the bolts from the balancer, the same 3 bolts used to remove the balancer from the engine... and it's dropped into an engine bay with very limited access, kinda like a boat:homer:

Yup, spent all morning drilling the 3 bolts to use the standard chicken foot puller, now find the center boltbroken off too

Fuck the last guy who worked on this thing

Now I've got to decide if I want to mess with the center bolt, or hammer it home... maybe warm it up to 250 and send it

The center bolt would need to come out no matter if you cut the balancer off or try to pull it off as it holds ( secures the balancer in a normal non rusted in situation)

Yup, spent all morning drilling the 3 bolts to use the standard chicken foot puller, now find the center boltbroken off too

Fuck the last guy who worked on this thing

Now I've got to decide if I want to mess with the center bolt, or hammer it home... maybe warm it up to 250 and send it
Fuck drilling. Weld and spin right out

So I spent the weekend at the pool and everybody wanted to know why my left arm was scratched, a cut above my left eye, and a cut on my left shoulder. Apparently women and children aren't as impressed with forklifts as gear heads are:homer:

Anyways I cleaned the 2 holes in the balancer, tapped the 3rd up a half size in metric, cleaned the crank hole, installed a new front seal and bought an oem pulley for $18 on Amazon, and it's back together. Still need to hang the counterweight

Thanks

Sounds like one of those jobs where I bitch for several hours over a couple days and it turns out the job only took me 30 minutes :laughing:
Not quite, but the shift from "is not possible to extract those bolts from here" shifted to "well, after 2.5 miserable hours extracting those bolts, I'm glad it's done" :laughing:

I'll certainly appreciate it when I'm picking up heavy things for the next 10 years:laughing:

Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Top Back Refresh