What's new

4.3 / 700r4 in a 62 Scout 80

Safe Dude

Member Number
Loc
Ventura Ca
I have a 62 80 that i got for $500 complete and for the most part rust free ,motor turns over trans was sitting in the bed top cover off and full of water . i have a friend that bought a running 88 S-10 ( 2 wheel drive) and wants to give me the motor and trans i also have a 1980 CJ short output dana 300 , anyone done this swap that can give me any input on the swap as far as fitment problems ? i also have a few sets of Scout ll axles that i will swap in as well , i plan on running 4:56 gears and 33s so i an assuming a 3 or 4 inch lift ( i dont want to cut sheet metal ) . looking for any answers that might be helpful as to fitment , the guy giving me the motor and trans has done 50 plus motor swaps ( all LS ) and graciously offered his help with the swap . just want to have everything i need before i jump into this ,Thanks !

Nice find.
4.3 should be a good swap, (thanx for not ls ing it) different is GOOD...
I'm a manual trans guy so take that fwiw.
Lift sounds about right but need to set it up how you want it first.
Start a build thread.

Nice find.
4.3 should be a good swap, (thanx for not ls ing it) different is GOOD...
I'm a manual trans guy so take that fwiw.
Lift sounds about right but need to set it up how you want it first.
Start a build thread.

Never was the kind of guy that had a high HP rig , my main interest is driveability as a dd with very light off roading as sheet metal is too hard to find . i have a few built jeeps and sheet metal is available for them so they will serve as my off road rigs , the 62 will be my one for all around fun i am doing a 65 mostly stock with interior upgrades along with the factory running gear i will post pics as soon as i can figure out how to down load them ( my computer can't see them on my phone ) the build on the 62 is coming about because i have all the main parts ( 4.3 , 700r4, dana 300, Scout ll axles and a good friend that asked me if he could help and is donating the motor and trans . i will still need to find springs ,shocks. radiator, trans adapter and a bunch of little stuff but this all and all should be a sub 4 grand build total

Binders rock
your dd plan sounds solid.
dont get crazy with spring rate, for the streetability, disk front will be nice.
4.3 is like a modern dauntless so perfect double the power of the harvester eng.

Straightforward. U have the super super simple tbi version..pre94/95?? Very easy to get running. Some box steel and plate for motor mounts, new crossmember, driveshafts etc. Cut and turn is butter for those dana 44s, use same springs...go soa, z link, and 33s. Throw some eagle 589s on that bitch:smokin:

Top Back Refresh