What's new

4.3 / 700r4 in a 62 Scout 80

Safe Dude

Member Number
Loc
Ventura Ca
I have a 62 80 that i got for $500 complete and for the most part rust free ,motor turns over trans was sitting in the bed top cover off and full of water . i have a friend that bought a running 88 S-10 ( 2 wheel drive) and wants to give me the motor and trans i also have a 1980 CJ short output dana 300 , anyone done this swap that can give me any input on the swap as far as fitment problems ? i also have a few sets of Scout ll axles that i will swap in as well , i plan on running 4:56 gears and 33s so i an assuming a 3 or 4 inch lift ( i dont want to cut sheet metal ) . looking for any answers that might be helpful as to fitment , the guy giving me the motor and trans has done 50 plus motor swaps ( all LS ) and graciously offered his help with the swap . just want to have everything i need before i jump into this ,Thanks !

Clb

another toyota from P.R.K
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Proofreading. First 50 club
Nice find.
4.3 should be a good swap, (thanx for not ls ing it) different is GOOD...
I'm a manual trans guy so take that fwiw.
Lift sounds about right but need to set it up how you want it first.
Start a build thread.

Safe Dude

Member Number
Loc
Ventura Ca
Nice find.
4.3 should be a good swap, (thanx for not ls ing it) different is GOOD...
I'm a manual trans guy so take that fwiw.
Lift sounds about right but need to set it up how you want it first.
Start a build thread.

Never was the kind of guy that had a high HP rig , my main interest is driveability as a dd with very light off roading as sheet metal is too hard to find . i have a few built jeeps and sheet metal is available for them so they will serve as my off road rigs , the 62 will be my one for all around fun i am doing a 65 mostly stock with interior upgrades along with the factory running gear i will post pics as soon as i can figure out how to down load them ( my computer can't see them on my phone ) the build on the 62 is coming about because i have all the main parts ( 4.3 , 700r4, dana 300, Scout ll axles and a good friend that asked me if he could help and is donating the motor and trans . i will still need to find springs ,shocks. radiator, trans adapter and a bunch of little stuff but this all and all should be a sub 4 grand build total

Clb

another toyota from P.R.K
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Proofreading. First 50 club
Binders rock
your dd plan sounds solid.
dont get crazy with spring rate, for the streetability, disk front will be nice.
4.3 is like a modern dauntless so perfect double the power of the harvester eng.

Snoop dogg

Saturday Night Special
Member Number
Loc
PDX
Straightforward. U have the super super simple tbi version..pre94/95?? Very easy to get running. Some box steel and plate for motor mounts, new crossmember, driveshafts etc. Cut and turn is butter for those dana 44s, use same springs...go soa, z link, and 33s. Throw some eagle 589s on that bitch:smokin:

Safe Dude

Member Number
Loc
Ventura Ca