What's new

3rd Gen 4Runner Tacoma VSS speed sensor swap

dugEfresh25

Member Number
I have seen several posts on this and for what ever reason (I am assuming trim packages/abs/no abs/locker/limited/blah blah I have different wiring than some of these posts have.

I got a 2000 Toyota 4runner 3.4 manual with a FJ80 axle in the rear. The stock ABS sensors were in the hubs of the original axle. FJ80 rear does not have any speed sensor locations. In result, check engine light and no speedometer.

From my understanding, first gen Tacomas have the speed sensor in the rear of the transmission/tcase. Toyota PN# 8318112020. You can then wire this in replacement of the two rear sensors.

SUPPOSEDLY, the wire you are supposed to TAP into the brown connector at the back of the gauge cluster (Combo meter) specifically C10A pin 1 G-O wire. This wire is labeled to be G-O, but on my 4runner it is actually G-Y. So then I go to where the diff lock ecu is supposed to be where I find the wire harness since I did not have a OEM diff lock. Plug D29 pin 10 G-O. This is actually a G-O wire. At the combo meter, there is a blue connector C11B which does have a G-O wire. These two G-O wires between D29 and C11 have continuity.

I connected 12v +/- to the speed sensor and tested the signal wire. It is pulsing voltage every 4 turns i believe (as specified).

Well this doesn't do anything to my speedometer...

Couple of questions.. There is no reason I should need to actually drive the vehicle for this to work correct? I could simply spin this meter correct? I even turned on the vehicle, put it in gear (with clutch in) and spun the sensor with no luck.

I also question that since my colors are different on my vehicle than these plans AND other write ups on this, whats the issue here?

There was a write up regarding needing to go to put the signal wire to a different pin on C11. I dont want to go throwing voltage somewhere I am not supposed to.

I also read that the ABS ecu accepts the sensor and then converts it to VSS... I am not 100% sure about that either. Can anyone shed light on this please? Thanks!

Photos -
Brown is c10
Blue is c11
white is D29

Attachments

• IMG_2786.jpg
    IMG_2786.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2794.jpg
    IMG_2794.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2793.jpg
    IMG_2793.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2792.jpg
    IMG_2792.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2791.jpg
    IMG_2791.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2788.jpg
    IMG_2788.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2787.jpg
    IMG_2787.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Just so I understand correctly. You have a 2000 4Runner with an 80 series rear axle. You want/need a speed signal and are using the kind that plugs into the transfer case.

Now are you are trying to get wheel speed signals or vehicle speed signals?

I have a 2000 4runner with an FJ80 rear axle.

yes I need a speed signal from the t-case (which I have) and wired up to run the speedometer.

The G-O wire in an output of the combination meter. The combination meter received the 4 pulse signal from the ABS ECU. The combination meter cleans up the signal then outputs it to the diff lock ecu, the 4wd ecu, the AC amplifier etc. You want to add the VSS signal to C28 pin 1 (GR-L) which should then show on the combination meter.
1673989011056.png

Bummer. Try it with the ABS unit disconnected.

Did the speedometer work before?

OK so I eventually figured it out.. Future reference for anyone who has had an issue with this.

I tried several wires at the combo meter... none worked including several wires that people have said worked. Also I had a random pinout that I have not seen other people have.

I decided to try at the ABS ECU (passenger kickpanel) This was so much easier since all the wires were there... Ignition 12v and signal wire.

I tapped into the yellow wire on A17 (bigger connector of the two). That was 12v ignition.

Grey with Blue strip was the VSS wire.

I read (and maybe misunderstood), a couple of things. As I was testing this, I did not know if the vehicle actually had to be running. The vehicle actually needs to be running.

You can bench test the VSS sensor and place it in your hand while spinning the wheel. with the tab up looking at the female side, Left wire is 12v - middle wire negative - right wire is the signal wire.

Left wire goes to solid yellow, middle to ground, right to the grey blue strip wire on A17 of the ECU.

Well it was working and then it stopped. I read multiple places that the ABS ECU accepts the signal and then converts it to VSS or some other readable signal for the other systems to see it. I clipped the Grey Blue wire so that the ABS ECU could not send anything else through this wire... Well that fixed it. Odometer and Speedometer working.

So I have tried both ways that you have described with zero positive results. I see that you cut the wire at the abs module. What side of the wire did you connect the speed sensor to?

When I did my swap my 3rd gen used wheel sensors on 4 corners, I gutted the ABS completely, plumbed straight to the MC,

and for the VSS I used this on the trans

I used this harness

sadly the wiring diagram I had was from Rock solid toys Forum and it does not exist any more, I did find a link to the old site but none of the pictures are there.

That's all I got, not sure if any of this helps.

Also I'm running a first gen gear driven case.

I spliced mine behind the cluster, and can't remember what color it was, and am digging through my notes and pictures to find it,

on the three leads one was switched power, one was ground, and the third was the pulse that went to the cluster. I swear it was a blue wire, But can't find the notes.

mine is a 1997 4runner, so none of this may be relevant, on mine the ECU for the ABS was not part of the main ecu, it was a stand alone module.

Top Back Refresh