What's new

3rd Gen 4runner - AWD mode w/ SAS

rockota

white collar hillbilly
Member Number
has anyone done one or attempted to keep the AWD mode? Mostly just curious if it could be done...

It seems like it wouldn’t be much different than an 80 series land cruiser. I would lean towards wanting a birfield type joint in the front shafts as opposed to a u joint depending on what axle you’re going to use just for smoothness.

It seems like it wouldn’t be much different than an 80 series land cruiser. I would lean towards wanting a birfield type joint in the front shafts as opposed to a u joint depending on what axle you’re going to use just for smoothness.

In theory, I concur. I know the multi-mode TCASE adds some complexity, but no idea how much...

In theory, I concur. I know the multi-mode TCASE adds some complexity, but no idea how much...

Are you considering swapping an AWD transfer case into a truck with a standard J-shift case? That's a whole different can of worms...

Are you considering swapping an AWD transfer case into a truck with a standard J-shift case? That's a whole different can of worms...
not specifically for this question... I have a 3rd gen 4runner w/ multi-mode that I keep thinking about throwing an axle under. But want it to still be DD.

BUT... I have also thought about the idea of a multi-mode tcase in my doublecab... Just because i think it'd be cool.

are you doing locking hubs, does that play into it?
my kids 80 is awd.
is that how the 4runner case works?

are you doing locking hubs, does that play into it?
my kids 80 is awd.
is that how the 4runner case works?

if anything were to be done, it'd likely be a standard toyota-based axle... Diamond/TG... complete w/ hi-pinion, Asin hubs, etc...

the multi-mode 4runner case is 2wd, AWD, awd-center lock (4hi), 4-low.

edit: i know the AWD would be worthless/unusable if hubs are unlocked...:flipoff2:

not specifically for this question... I have a 3rd gen 4runner w/ multi-mode that I keep thinking about throwing an axle under. But want it to still be DD.

BUT... I have also thought about the idea of a multi-mode tcase in my doublecab... Just because i think it'd be cool.

Gotcha.

On your rig with the multi mode case in it, sure it will be fine. Just make sure your front driveline has good angles and is balanced.

In my previous 3rd Gen wiring research I seem to recall that the wiring to a multi-mode transfer case w/ center diff lock has extra wires in the harness that aren't there on other trucks. Just like the E-locker wiring. And it all ties into the stability/traction control system wiring. But that's also dependent on certain model years.

So to get full OEM functionality you may need to get really creative adding wiring to the existing harness, or swap in a full harness from the multi mode truck.

I could also be totally wrong and mixing things up.

Just had a thought as well - would the truck need selectable or open diffs for driving on dry pavement? If the multi mode has the limited slip/torsen center diff, locked diffs might cause some funny driving behavior under power and/or kill the center diff.

Just had a thought as well - would the truck need selectable or open diffs for driving on dry pavement? If the multi mode has the limited slip/torsen center diff, locked diffs might cause some funny driving behavior under power and/or kill the center diff.

100% agree this is a risk. The only advantage of keeping the multimode - aside from not having to source a new tcase - is for the few times a year that having AWD is nice. But it would probably need the correct wiring to ensure that lockers weren't engaged unless center case is locked - or something similar.

for the tacoma idea... I was thinking AWS w/ long travel could be fun.

100% agree this is a risk. The only advantage of keeping the multimode - aside from not having to source a new tcase - is for the few times a year that having AWD is nice. But it would probably need the correct wiring to ensure that lockers weren't engaged unless center case is locked - or something similar.

for the tacoma idea... I was thinking AWS w/ long travel could be fun.

I think the wiring also ties into the wheel speed sensors and ABS pump and all that crap.

But then again, you could probably reduce all that crap and run the center diff lock off a DPDT toggle while deleting the rest of the electronics.

My locker concern is more the mechanical aspect. With a rear locker not allowing the inside rear wheel to spin any slower than the front and rear diffs, the truck would push/understeer hard under power. Add a front locker... That truck is going straight whether want it to or not. :lmao:

What would be the advantage of AWD mode if you have to lock the hubs anyway? You can lock the hubs now and just flip it in and out of 4wd on the fly as needed.

This just seems like more wiring to dick with when you could be driving it, hypothetically speaking:flipoff2:

My third gen needed a speed sensor added to the transfer case, and to gut the ABS, because it was all run off the 4 wheel sensors.
I had to splice into the speedo cluster to get a speedo

What would be the advantage of AWD mode if you have to lock the hubs anyway? You can lock the hubs now and just flip it in and out of 4wd on the fly as needed.

This just seems like more wiring to dick with when you could be driving it, hypothetically speaking:flipoff2:

In AWD mode there is a limited slip center diff working so the drivetrain doesn't bind on dry roads. Then the center diff can be electronically locked to be normal 4 high.

cause tech sucks... :flipoff2:

cause tech sucks... :flipoff2:
Hahaha build everything the same like it always has, duh!!!

No it's a good thought experiment, just asking the why over here....:flipoff2:

Next up you should integrate an electric hub, like halfway down the axle shaft, so you don't even have to get out of the truck when you need 4wd.

I'm just fucking around, I want to maybe build one of this gen 4runner and am curious about the electronics on them so following.

Last edited:
I used to have the multi-mode t-case but got rid of it when I went duals (I'm still IFS btw). A separate 4WD computer controls the t-case, as long as you could trick it to think the ADD (automatic differential disconnect) is engaged when shifting into AWD, I don't see why it couldn't work with a SAS.

Top Back Refresh