What's new

.38 S&W

Lee

Guild of Calamitous Intent
Member Number
Loc
The Natural State
Stupid time to add a new caliber to the collection, and a rare one at that.

Stupid question, is .38 S&W Short and .38 S&W the same thing and/or interchangeable?

I've seen .38 S&W Short listed a few times. For example SGAmmo sells a .38 S&W Short, Fiocchi I think, of course it's not in stock now, but the pictures (when they were in stock) looked just like the boxes other folks have on their website that don't call them Short. Google has led me to Reddit threads that haven't really answered my question.

Also anyone have any .38 S&W they want to part with? Bonus if it's 38/200.

Yes they are the same so is .38 Colt NP, or .38/200. No I dont have any. Thats a roll your own caliber these days.

Reactions: Lee
Thats a roll your own caliber these days.

Father-in-law has a lead hot pot, and the 200 grain molds aren't all that expensive on Midway. Brass seems to be challenging though, can I cut down .38 Special brass? Probably all moot, without primers. :shaking:

I've found .38 Short Colt brass in stock, that's probably different than .38 Colt NP huh?

Edit: relevant article says Short Colt isn't the best idea.

200 grain seems heavy for that... but I haven't loaded or shot that caliber :homer:

200 grain seems heavy for that... but I haven't loaded or shot that caliber :homer:

British military load, .38/200 common in WWII and later Webley & Enfield pistols. I don't think any modern options are that heavy.

I have my grandfathers S&W model 10 “Military and Police“. I never heard of the .38 Smith & Wesson round until I had possession of my grandfathers pistol. It came with 2 boxes of ammunition, I fired a couple rounds out of it just to be able to say I fired it.

This is the only ammo I have in .38 S&W (compared to .38 special)

D003C9B7-5248-4208-ADBD-D95E0B0E2D79.jpeg
FB5EC54D-7787-46CB-A4DD-AD2A8513E360.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh