What's new

35 years ago today..

Sceep

🖕___ 😆___ 🖕
Member Number
Loc
Central NM

I was in 3rd grade. We were all huddled around a TV cart in the library cheering for the astronauts who were zooming off into space with a teacher who "could have been" one of our own. It was amazing, awe inspiring. Until it wasn't. :frown:

RIP.

Turns out we are the same age and my story is exactly the same. RIP

I was around 4 and I was down in FL at the time. I don't remember the significance of it, but do remember watching from a window.

Remember it clearly. I was a senior in HS.

I was < 5 and don’t remember it al all.

I was stationed in Korea. I didn't believe it until I saw the cover of Stars and Stripes (.mil news paper) :eek:

6th Grade for me. We were watching both because of the teacher, and also Dick Scobee was from our state (Washington) and actually graduated from high school two cities south of us.

Sitting in my "new" office at the time with a couple of other engineers (gps developers), commenting on the success of the program...damn was that a bad day

I was 29..... it was a tragic day for our astronauts that day. :frown:

I was 9. First time I watched TV and didn't understand/could not comprehend... I couldn't believe I just watched people die. The second time I had that feeling was 9/11.

Watched it live in second grade. I laughed and got yelled at by Miss Lemke.

Was about 21 and at college in Florida. We were close enough to get a good view from the ground and when it exploded we weren't really sure what happened for a few seconds we all just kind of looked at each other bewildered until it hit us what happened.

6th grade for myself as well...

Whole class was at the IMAX theatre in Denver (which was a big deal itself as I went to school in the mountains 1.5 hours away) to watch a film on space exploration. They wheeled a "big screen" TV in so we could watch the live launch. After the explosion there was an awkward silence, pretty sure one of the teachers said something but I don't remember what it was and then they played the movie. I'm pretty sure as a 6th grader we were already coming up with jokes on the bus ride home!

5th grade, had to take a math quiz during recess, so it was just me and the teacher in the classroom, she was watching it.

my wife's grandpa was at the launch, he was working for NASA at the time. he was one of the many who told them to cancel it.

5th grade, had to take a math quiz during recess, so it was just me and the teacher in the classroom, she was watching it.

my wife's grandpa was at the launch, he was working for NASA at the time. he was one of the many who told them to cancel it.

Why did he tell them to cancel it?

Why did he tell them to cancel it?

I dont remember exactly what he said and he has passed away so i cant ask him again, but it was something to do with cold and fuel leaks. I do remember him telling us something about wetting tampons and sticking them on the fittings/joints that were leaking and they would freeze on and temporarily stop the leak.

Top Back Refresh