What's new

35 whelen

Member Number
Loc
Band for life
Help me spend money.

Quick background:
Iowa is legal to hunt with rifle if .350 on up (essentially). I like the idea of have one "big game" rifle. I have from 7mm on down in a variety of calibers.

The focus isnt handloading or ammo, that's not an issue or care.

if its 30-06, I dont mind sending it off to jes for a rebore, or anyone for that matter.

all in, I want this to be a guide gun+ as the goal of goals.

so, pawn shop 30-06 rebore? Garand (though indont think they can handle common pressures so educate me on this)? New offerings are slim outside single shots, or a ruger/etc new 06 rebore.

Signed
Idiot in iowa

When did they start allowing bottleneck cartridges vs just straight wall?

Whats the logic behind the over .35 for rifle?
Who knows, its iowa..probably 34 cal travels too fast too light, must be too dangerous. 35, too heavy, fat dumb and slow.

I'm guessing though in honesty itll open up in a few years. Rifles here started a few years back, straight wall 35 up only. So that left very little options and appeased the rifle hunters. Then 450bm, 45-70, 350nlegend, 50 cals really wakened it up and the dnr opened up the restrictions from straight to any cal 35-50.

So you can use a .50bmg but not a .30-06 or .308 or .243? Makes sense. This just for deer right? Whites and Mules? Are there elk in Iowa?

So I went to the Iowa DNR website and it states .35 - .50 except for the January antlerless wich is any centerfire .24 and bigger. That doesnt make any sense.

Last edited:
For some reason I  think there was an exclusion. Sort of not to exceed a value, and not to be less than 500ftlb. but cant find the NTE if it's true at all.

Just deer. Whites. No elk. No restrictions though in other categories where rifles are allowed.
SmartSelect_20220505-222213_Drive.jpg

That is kind of confusing, I must be missing something. Just the added verbiage of "straight wall or any centerfire cartridge" is amorphous (ridiculous). What other kind of cartridges are there? Is my way, way obsolete .38 rimfire that no one makes ammo for anymore permitted? Can I hunt with my Dreyse pinfire muskettoon or not? One would think it might be more clear with a simple bullet diameter definition, such as in CO (nothing smaller than .26cal IIRC). Again, this is Iowa, where pumpkins were to be taxed as a decoration but not as food. At least suppressors are legal there now. :laughing:

The previous edict said straight wall cartridge with no taper or something like that. I agree, if you weren't aware of the original youd ask wtf.

But yeah, we can have suppressors now, are constitutional carry too, now.

That is kind of confusing, I must be missing something. Just the added verbiage of "straight wall or any centerfire cartridge" is amorphous (ridiculous). What other kind of cartridges are there? Is my way, way obsolete .38 rimfire that no one makes ammo for anymore permitted? Can I hunt with my Dreyse pinfire muskettoon or not? One would think it might be more clear with a simple bullet diameter definition, such as in CO (nothing smaller than .26cal IIRC). Again, this is Iowa, where pumpkins were to be taxed as a decoration but not as food. At least suppressors are legal there now. :laughing:
did you miss the muzzle energy req?

More humorous than serious... Just pointing out that the rule is unnecessarily complicated and overly worded. Additionally, a Dreyse is too large a caliber. I'm not going to hunt in IA anytime soon, carry on...

It’s an odd rule. I’m not sure what they’re trying to accomplish. There are a lot of very powerful calibers that fit that description and also the typical pistol cartridges. Minimum energy makes sense.
I always thought the old rules were odd if it was for safety. You can only use these slow bullets for deer, but coyotes and prairie dogs are anything you want.
I’m not from here so I figured there was an historic justification. Maybe not.

It’s an odd rule. I’m not sure what they’re trying to accomplish. There are a lot of very powerful calibers that fit that description and also the typical pistol cartridges. Minimum energy makes sense.
I always thought the old rules were odd if it was for safety. You can only use these slow bullets for deer, but coyotes and prairie dogs are anything you want.
I’m not from here so I figured there was an historic justification. Maybe not.
I'd have to ask, but I'm quite sure it's always been shotgun, muzzle, archery. Iowa is slow to change regardless. Look at pheasants, in pretty sure surrounding states do a bit in the stocking department whereas iowa does not.

"It's the way we've done things, and so it shall be"

I have a well sporterized O3A3 and a custom Interarms Mark X (commercial Mauser action) in 35 Whelen, they both feed well and work great. It's a very effective carteridge and the recoil isn't bad, about like a 30-06 I think finding a good 30-06 for cheap and sending out for a re-bore is a good idea. I have used JES before with very good results.

Top Back Refresh