What's new

319: SXS’s Need To Organize ASAP

ST4x4 Podcast

snailtrail4x4podcastep319.jpg

================================================================

Please Consider Helping CJ with a CJ. The goal isn’t a lot compared to the medical bills pouring in. He is a great guy and an educational asset to our off road community. Stop by the GoFundMe below and reach out to him on IG @rustylidoffroad with some fun jokes to make his day.
CJ Arnesen Recovery Fund-Raiser, organized by Kelly Radcliffe

================================================================

SXS in California, Midi Fuses, and Cross Member Modifications!! Join Jimmy and Tyler as they chat about their previous week’s activities. Jimmy finished up playing bubble boy, and Tyler was able to get some marginal work done on Kermit after a trip down to Big Bear. Also, some insight to what might be coming for SXS’s in California. Check it out!

WE ARE GIVING AWAY A WINCH! All you have to do to enter is leave us a review on iTunes/Apple Podcasts! Once we reach 500 reviews, we will do the drawing from those 500 reviews! At 300, 350, 400, and 450 reviews, we will do give-aways for some fun swag packs as well! So get your reviews in! Congrats to PEDDY1111 for winning the 300 swag-away! And Six String Trucker for winning the 350 swag-away! And Martlovesgarlic for winning the 400th!

CALL US AND LEAVE US A VOICEMAIL!!!! We want to hear from you even more!!! You can call and say whatever you like! Ask a question, leave feedback, correct some information about welding, say how much you hate your jeep, and wish you had a Toyota! We will air them all, live, on the podcast! +01-916-345-4744. If you have any negative feedback, you can call our negative feedback hotline, 408-800-5169.

Episode 319 is brought to you by all of our peeps over at patreon.com and irate4x4! Make sure to stop by and see all of the great perks you get for supporting SnailTrail4x4! Discount Codes, Monthly Give-Aways, Gift Boxes, the SnailTrail4x4 Community, and the ST4x4 Treasure Hunt! Thank you to all of those that support us! We wouldn’t be able to do it without you guys (and gals!)!

As of April 1st, 2022, we will no longer be supporting Patreon! We are moving all of the “Patreon activities” over to Irate4x4.com. Make sure to head over there, cancel your SnailTrail 4×4 Patreon subscription, and sign up on irate! We will still keep Patreon up and running in case you have to keep using it, but we will not be interacting anymore on that platform.

July’s SnailSquad Giveaway is with Spartan Ropes! We have a 1″ x 30ft kinetic rope and two 7/16″ soft shackles to give away to a lucky winner. The total value this month is just under $300. Make sure to stop by and check out Spartan Rope for all of your pull-out needs!

August’s SnailSquad Giveaway is with Affordable Bender! We have 1 Affordable Bender and single die lined up with Tom for a lucky winner! We have seen first hand what these things can do, and at their price of just under $400, its a winner if you are looking to bend some tube. Make sure you are signed up over at Irate4x4.com by August 30th to get entered!

Listener Discount Codes:​

MORRFlate snailtrail to get 15% off MORRFlate Multi Tire Inflation Deflation™ Kits
Ironman 4×4snailtrail20 to get 20% off of all Ironman 4×4 branded equipment!
Sidetracked Offroad snailtrail4x4 (lowercase)to get 15% off lights and recovery gear
Shock SurplusSNAILTRAIL4x4 to get $25 off any order!
Mob ArmorSnailtrail4x4 for 15% off
Empire AbrasivesSnailtrail4x4 for 10% off first order

Continue reading...

All Jeep sales, all ATV and SXS sales should come with a forced class on behavior and etiquette.

Just yesterday saw a local post where some atv/ SXS guys took it upon them selves to park their rig and trailer in the middle of an open trail and then dissapear. I would have just hooked some straps to it and drug it out, not caring if I wrecked their trans.

All Jeep sales, all ATV and SXS sales should come with a forced class on behavior and etiquette.

Just yesterday saw a local post where some atv/ SXS guys took it upon them selves to park their rig and trailer in the middle of an open trail and then dissapear. I would have just hooked some straps to it and drug it out, not caring if I wrecked their trans.

So you think state or federal government should regulate and mandate that? :laughing:

I think I’s rather leave it up to us to teach idiots not to be idiots.

So you think state or federal government should regulate and mandate that? :laughing:

I think I’s rather leave it up to us to teach idiots not to be idiots.

No not government Lord knows we need less of that in our lives. But there are country wide (Canada too) orgs like Tread Lightly that could have a quick N dirty course and brochures etc, that could get on board with the manufacturers and provide said training.

Like Tyler has stated. Obviously the SXS people can't regulate themselves and it looks like the government is coming in regardless.

No not government Lord knows we need less of that in our lives. But there are country wide (Canada too) orgs like Tread Lightly that could have a quick N dirty course and brochures etc, that could get on board with the manufacturers and provide said training.

Like Tyler has stated. Obviously the SXS people can't regulate themselves and it looks like the government is coming in regardless.

Good luck.

SXS’s are like shelf stocked Ultra4 cars. Tons of horsepower, suspension travel, and a “cage.” It’s like an idiots playground.

Last time we were at Fordyce parked at Eagle Lakes, come back from being on the trail all weekend and some golf cart driver had blocked in 4 tow rigs and trailers, including one of my buddies. We just unhooked the trailer from his truck and rolled it down the hill out of the way. Hopefully he was out with his boyfriend and made a fool of himself when he got back. There was no way he was getting his trailer back on to his truck by himself. You cant teach stupid.

Last time we were at Fordyce parked at Eagle Lakes, come back from being on the trail all weekend and some golf cart driver had blocked in 4 tow rigs and trailers, including one of my buddies. We just unhooked the trailer from his truck and rolled it down the hill out of the way. Hopefully he was out with his boyfriend and made a fool of himself when he got back. There was no way he was getting his trailer back on to his truck by himself. You cant teach stupid.
Did you guys at least leave him a note to make it clear that his trailer was down the hill because he's a douche bag? Or did he just come back and be like "wtfff some douche bags fucked my trailer for no reason! People suck"

Here's a question for everyone watching this thread... if there could be some sort of "test" or "license" that got administered whenever someone took ownership of a sxs, what things should be covered on it?

Trailer etiquette? trail right of way rules? Speed limits in open terrain vs trails? Broken down etiquette? Sand Dune spotters? Age limits on drivers? Alcohol limits?

It's sort of funny when you start thinking about some of these and how there are either no laws or regulations for them, or the lines are super blurred because they don't have their own legal definition of what a sxs is... is it a car? A quad? Ultra 4 car? Buggy? Or something entirely different that needs its own set of rules and understanding of safety?

Can't remember what I was listening to but heard mention of a few states now making you do a online video or course as requirement to get your trail permit and or license plate for atv's/Sxs's.

I know where I live you have to have a green plate on offroad vehicles that aren't licensed for the road. Sxs's aren't even allowed on a lot of trails here only dirt bikes and atv's.

Some municipalities have started allowing them on road right of ways to cross to other trails however.

Can't remember what I was listening to but heard mention of a few states now making you do a online video or course as requirement to get your trail permit and or license plate for atv's/Sxs's.

I know where I live you have to have a green plate on offroad vehicles that aren't licensed for the road. Sxs's aren't even allowed on a lot of trails here only dirt bikes and atv's.

Some municipalities have started allowing them on road right of ways to cross to other trails however.
Can drive them on the under 55mph roads here. State law, though some towns have over ridden it and banned that. When I had my diesel Ranger I'd use it to run to town for stuff if I didn't feel like taking a car. Used it to go get the mail as well.

Looking for a cheap ATV or something now. My mailbox is a mile away.

Can drive them on the under 55mph roads here. State law, though some towns have over ridden it and banned that. When I had my diesel Ranger I'd use it to run to town for stuff if I didn't feel like taking a car. Used it to go get the mail as well.

Looking for a cheap ATV or something now. My mailbox is a mile away.

But does it have to be licensed and insured?

Here's a question for everyone watching this thread... if there could be some sort of "test" or "license" that got administered whenever someone took ownership of a sxs, what things should be covered on it?

Trailer etiquette? trail right of way rules? Speed limits in open terrain vs trails? Broken down etiquette? Sand Dune spotters? Age limits on drivers? Alcohol limits?

It's sort of funny when you start thinking about some of these and how there are either no laws or regulations for them, or the lines are super blurred because they don't have their own legal definition of what a sxs is... is it a car? A quad? Ultra 4 car? Buggy? Or something entirely different that needs its own set of rules and understanding of safety?

They’re UTV’s.

Pennsylvania has a lot of regulations on them.

Owners don’t want to sit through a course. Give them a laminated sheet taped to the inside of the roof or glove box.

1. Don’t be a dumbass.
2. Uphill traffic has right of way.
3. Don’t block trails.
4. Don’t block loading area with trailers/tow vehicles.
5. Don’t drink and drive.
6. Unless racing, DON’T race.
7. Let others on the trails know how many are in your group: hand signals.
8. DON’T BE A DUMBASS.

Please no more regulation. Yea the UTV owners tend to be dumbasses, but this is something the community needs to handle not the .gov. Any rule and regulation requires enforcement and the last thing we need, speaking as an east coast guy, is law enforcement at offroad parks as that will eventually kill the hobby down here. I get that you guys in the west coast are in a whole different mess out there, but here in the east it needs to be non government entities spreading the word on how not to be a dumbass in a SXS.

I will say the nice part is a bunch of these SXS only parks down here are opening their doors to crawlers/jeeps and trucks so that's a plus coming out of the SXS world.

Please no more regulation. Yea the UTV owners tend to be dumbasses, but this is something the community needs to handle not the .gov. Any rule and regulation requires enforcement and the last thing we need, speaking as an east coast guy, is law enforcement at offroad parks as that will eventually kill the hobby down here. I get that you guys in the west coast are in a whole different mess out there, but here in the east it needs to be non government entities spreading the word on how not to be a dumbass in a SXS.

I will say the nice part is a bunch of these SXS only parks down here are opening their doors to crawlers/jeeps and trucks so that's a plus coming out of the SXS world.

Damn, now if the Hatfield system would get opened up.

It’s a lane trail system, but it connects so many outlaw trails down there. One reason I’m hesitant to haul the Geo down.

Damn, now if the Hatfield system would get opened up.

It’s a lane trail system, but it connects so many outlaw trails down there. One reason I’m hesitant to haul the Geo down.
Theres parts of it opened to trucks like Ivy Branch.

Ya, agreed 100%... but how do you get the sxs or vehicular recreation industry to police itself without government regulation? I think that is the big problem. We aren't policing ourselves when it comes to stupid sxs behavior, and it has reached a tipping point.

If an industry is good at policing itself, then the gov wil typically stay out of it... look at the movie industry, they implemented age ratings (PG, PG13, NC17, R, etc) and were able to police themselves so government didn't have to ... How do we do that in the offroad industry when we all tend to be more "im gonna do what I wanna do" and "ya, do what you wanna do so long as it doesn't have to to with me" mentalities?

Ya, agreed 100%... but how do you get the sxs or vehicular recreation industry to police itself without government regulation? I think that is the big problem. We aren't policing ourselves when it comes to stupid sxs behavior, and it has reached a tipping point.

If an industry is good at policing itself, then the gov wil typically stay out of it... look at the movie industry, they implemented age ratings (PG, PG13, NC17, R, etc) and were able to police themselves so government didn't have to ... How do we do that in the offroad industry when we all tend to be more "im gonna do what I wanna do" and "ya, do what you wanna do so long as it doesn't have to to with me" mentalities?

Great question, however the only tool the government has is force. So what good could possibly come out of allowing the government into our hobby? It will either be used as a revenue generation scheme through licences and fines, and then a political football especially with all the environmental stuff coming down the pipelines, and lump vehicle modification on top of it. Tough spot to be in. So I guess the question is if SXS owners are now the douches causing problems, what got the jeep and truck owners in line that were getting places shut down in the early 2000s? I have my opinions on this but, they would be wildly unpopular, but curious to hear others thoughts.

Top Back Refresh