What's new

312: 4×4 Off Road Trail Ettiquette

ST4x4 Podcast

snailtrail4x4podcastep281.jpg

================================================================

Please Consider Helping CJ with a CJ. The goal isn’t a lot compared to the medical bills pouring in. He is a great guy and an educational asset to our off road community. Stop by the GoFundMe below and reach out to him on IG @rustylidoffroad with some fun jokes to make his day.
CJ Arnesen Recovery Fund-Raiser, organized by Kelly Radcliffe

================================================================

Trail Ettiquette, Spinning Tires and Stacking Rocks!! Join Jimmy and Tyler on today’s episode as they talk about some ideas that you should consider when going off the beaten path. Check em out and let us know some other ideas!

WE ARE GIVING AWAY A WINCH! All you have to do to enter is leave us a review on iTunes/Apple Podcasts! Once we reach 500 reviews, we will do the drawing from those 500 reviews! At 300, 350, 400, and 450 reviews, we will do give-aways for some fun swag packs as well! So get your reviews in! Congrats to PEDDY1111 for winning the 300 swag-away! And Six String Trucker for winning the 350 swag-away!

CALL US AND LEAVE US A VOICEMAIL!!!! We want to hear from you even more!!! You can call and say whatever you like! Ask a question, leave feedback, correct some information about welding, say how much you hate your jeep, and wish you had a Toyota! We will air them all, live, on the podcast! +01-916-345-4744. If you have any negative feedback, you can call our negative feedback hotline, 408-800-5169.

Episode 312 is brought to you by all of our peeps over at patreon.com and irate4x4! Make sure to stop by and see all of the great perks you get for supporting SnailTrail4x4! Discount Codes, Monthly Give-Aways, Gift Boxes, the SnailTrail4x4 Community, and the ST4x4 Treasure Hunt! Thank you to all of those that support us! We wouldn’t be able to do it without you guys (and gals!)!

As of April 1st, 2022, we will no longer be supporting Patreon! We are moving all of the “Patreon activities” over to Irate4x4.com. Make sure to head over there, cancel your SnailTrail 4×4 Patreon subscription, and sign up on irate! We will still keep Patreon up and running in case you have to keep using it, but we will not be interacting anymore on that platform.

Our June Give away is TOOL MONTH!!!! Huge shout out to GearWrench Tools for kicking in another awesome tool month this year. We will have a contest/giveaway every single week this month. And a final big give away at the end for our Snail Quad over at Irate4x4.com. This month’s give away will be a complete setup of a 26″ tool chest, topper, and all 5 of GearWrench’s new EVA tool-filled foam trays!

July’s SnailSquad Give Away is with Spartan Ropes! We have a 1″ x 30ft kinetic rope and two 7/16″ soft shackles to give away to a lucky winner. Total value this month is just under $300. Make sure to stop by and check out Spartan Rope for all of your pull-out needs!

Listener Discount Codes:​

MORRFlate snailtrail to get 15% off MORRFlate Multi Tire Inflation Deflation™ Kits
Ironman 4×4snailtrail20 to get 20% off of all Ironman 4×4 branded equipment!
Sidetracked Offroad snailtrail4x4 (lowercase)to get 15% off lights and recovery gear
Shock SurplusSNAILTRAIL4x4 to get $25 off any order!
Mob Armor – Snailtrail4x4 for 15% off
Empire Abrasives – Snailtrail4x4 for 10% off first order

Continue reading...

The person going downhill backs up because its easier to control. If you drop a tire off a ledge backing up you can probably pull forward. If you are backing downhill you might not be able to get back up. Also backing downhill its harder to stop if you take off.

Wheel spin on muddy trails seems unavoidable. Thoughts on how this could be achievable up here in the PNW?
I’m guessing excessive wheel spin is what you two were talking about during the rock stacking segment.

Wheel spin on muddy trails seems unavoidable. Thoughts on how this could be achievable up here in the PNW?
I’m guessing excessive wheel spin is what you two were talking about during the rock stacking segment.
Ya correct. Excessive wheel spin. I haven't done any wheeling up there yet, but here in norcal, if a trail is still really muddy, we are supposed to stay off of it. But our trails also eventually dry out lol

Do you have those hills that are so slippery that the vehicle won't hold on the brake unless you bake little holes with some wheel spin before stopping? Not excessive but necessary wheel spin.

Do you have those hills that are so slippery that the vehicle won't hold on the brake unless you bake little holes with some wheel spin before stopping? Not excessive but necessary wheel spin.
This is curious to me... because that doesn't seem sustainable. Serious question... What do you guys do when 5000 rigs go up that hill and all bake in little holes which turns the hill into impassable deep ruts? 🤔

This is curious to me... because that doesn't seem sustainable. Serious question... What do you guys do when 5000 rigs go up that hill and all bake in little holes which turns the hill into impassable deep ruts?

If it's a competition stage then there is no chance of a lot of rigs going over it before nature reclaims the hill.

If it's a forestry track we as recreational 4wders do nowhere near the amount of damage that logging vehicles do. After a few years of ruts forming , the local operators grade the tracks and they become smooth as any dirt road again.

A few things to note are that we don't go 4wding in these areas during the Summer months. The risk of bushfire is usually too great and we have machinery bans in a lot of bush areas and in Australia we don't really have the population to support trail systems as an infrastructure type deal. We just go out in to the bush and drive challenging tracks. Remote destination travel is a totally different type of deal compared to rec wheeling. Some of the most challenging trails near where I live would be lucky to see 100 vehicles a year. Big tyres are illegal so they are not as common, the ruts can only get so deep before the IFS vehicles with little tyres scrape off the centre mound if they choose to winch it. And like I mentioned, the tracks that are important to industry get graded every few years regardless because water run off does just as much as damage as driving on them.

If it's a competition stage then there is no chance of a lot of rigs going over it before nature reclaims the hill.

If it's a forestry track we as recreational 4wders do nowhere near the amount of damage that logging vehicles do. After a few years of ruts forming , the local operators grade the tracks and they become smooth as any dirt road again.

A few things to note are that we don't go 4wding in these areas during the Summer months. The risk of bushfire is usually too great and we have machinery bans in a lot of bush areas and in Australia we don't really have the population to support trail systems as an infrastructure type deal. We just go out in to the bush and drive challenging tracks. Remote destination travel is a totally different type of deal compared to rec wheeling. Some of the most challenging trails near where I live would be lucky to see 100 vehicles a year. Big tyres are illegal so they are not as common, the ruts can only get so deep before the IFS vehicles with little tyres scrape off the centre mound if they choose to winch it. And like I mentioned, the tracks that are important to industry get graded every few years regardless because water run off does just as much as damage as driving on them.
Interesting. It's always fascinating hearing about how different this hobby can be to different people lol. I don't really want to go anywhere unless I can somewhat challenge myself or my vehicle and there is a great location to get to. But that makes total sense that since you guys have such higher restrictions on vehicles, you don't see as many issues, since most people just go out to go camping, rather than challenge their vehicles.

Interesting. It's always fascinating hearing about how different this hobby can be to different people lol. I don't really want to go anywhere unless I can somewhat challenge myself or my vehicle and there is a great location to get to. But that makes total sense that since you guys have such higher restrictions on vehicles, you don't see as many issues, since most people just go out to go camping, rather than challenge their vehicles.
Yeah it's hard to try and convey differences in culture and the nuances that go with it but it is fascinating. There is a small minority of us who wheel primarily for the challenge of it and actually know where the good tracks are and are willing to deal with the consequences of driving an "illegal" vehicle. The scene is mostly made of overpackers with instagram handles like " something something adventures" or shiny modern 4wds with full catalogue ARB builds that don't see much more than beach runs.

In any case, the challenging tracks are in no danger of over use.lol.

Sorry, got sidetracked with boring non-wheeling life.

I’m just getting back into the hobby after a 10yr hiatus.
I recall some hill climbs where big block K5/Broncos tired skinny pedaling up, those burnout areas would turn into burms to divert runoff from eroding the ruts further.
Then some trails so dug out (from full-size rigs), they would swallow the stock mini trucks we owned back in early 00’s. I feel like those trails get ‘closed’ until some fill dirt and rock can be added.

I feel like the wheeling up here isn’t sustainable, plenty of IG accounts show casing that kind of ‘offroading’, but you bring up some good questions 4x4toyotatyler. I don’t truly know how Oregon or Washington maintains trails or what local groups maintain the trails (which I plan on researching now).

I also think Rubicon and Moab are iconic areas that get much more attention than the OHV parks up here due to the history. Along with the difference of Californian govt. vs it’s neighboring northern States.

Time to do some research on my end. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Sorry, got sidetracked with boring non-wheeling life.

I’m just getting back into the hobby after a 10yr hiatus.
I recall some hill climbs where big block K5/Broncos tired skinny pedaling up, those burnout areas would turn into burms to divert runoff from eroding the ruts further.
Then some trails so dug out (from full-size rigs), they would swallow the stock mini trucks we owned back in early 00’s. I feel like those trails get ‘closed’ until some fill dirt and rock can be added.

I feel like the wheeling up here isn’t sustainable, plenty of IG accounts show casing that kind of ‘offroading’, but you bring up some good questions 4x4toyotatyler. I don’t truly know how Oregon or Washington maintains trails or what local groups maintain the trails (which I plan on researching now).

I also think Rubicon and Moab are iconic areas that get much more attention than the OHV parks up here due to the history. Along with the difference of Californian govt. vs it’s neighboring northern States.

Time to do some research on my end. Thanks guys!
Ya man. That's the goal! To get the brain juices flowing and see what's really going on In our own backyards.

Also, down here its easier to be challenged by tracks as our cars tend to be less modified. So you can travel remote and have fun in the same vehicle, on easier tracks. I find the guys with the really modified patrols etc get bored because stuff is really easy to drive. Just dont overbuild the car and you won't have to chase ever harder tracks...

Also, down here its easier to be challenged by tracks as our cars tend to be less modified. So you can travel remote and have fun in the same vehicle, on easier tracks. I find the guys with the really modified patrols etc get bored because stuff is really easy to drive. Just dont overbuild the car and you won't have to chase ever harder tracks...
That is far easier said than done!

Support Snail Trail 4x4!

$5.00 /mo
- Snail Squad Forum Access
- General Support
- Exclusive Content
- Access to Treasure Hunt
- Access to Group Buys
- 20% Merch Discount
- Vendor Discounts
$60.00 /yr
- Same as monthly but billed annually