What's new

30x45 build "The Donut Shop"

Subscribed. Loving the shop. I've got a Crossfire Pro as well.

À how do you like it? I've been wanting a CNC plasma and had not found the crossfire Pro yet. I had written off the crossfire as I have a project four the house that I needed to do a 40" part on.

That led me to looking at 10k plasmas or precision plasmas. I don't think I'm going to be starting my own shop or really using this for paying jobs. I just want to be able to play and make tab and slot parts. The crossfire Pro looks like the sweet spot of easy setup and decent capacity. I don't have any plans to cut over 1/² plate ever.

At sub 3k... This might be the ticket. Did you get the auto height adjustment? Is that worth it?

À how do you like it? I've been wanting a CNC plasma and had not found the crossfire Pro yet. I had written off the crossfire as I have a project four the house that I needed to do a 40" part on.

That led me to looking at 10k plasmas or precision plasmas. I don't think I'm going to be starting my own shop or really using this for paying jobs. I just want to be able to play and make tab and slot parts. The crossfire Pro looks like the sweet spot of easy setup and decent capacity. I don't have any plans to cut over 1/² plate ever.

At sub 3k... This might be the ticket. Did you get the auto height adjustment? Is that worth it?

I'm a big fan. Time consuming, but easy to set up and get running.

The hardest part about it isn't the workflow, nor figuring out the feeds and speeds, it's figuring out what to make with it. I thought that'd be the easy part, but after knocking out 5 or 6 projects right after I got it, I'm searching high and low for things to make!

Super useful tool. Got to have a good air compressor and air dryer setup for it to work well. That's one thing I didn't anticipate, how dry the air has to be for the consumables to last.

And here we go, kept telling people not quite ready yet but people are persistent.

20200711_160233.jpg

One job repaying help I got with building shop for auto service on his Chevy (trans filter, rear end service, change fuck oil sending unit...that one sucks I have large hands looks like I got into a fight with a bag full of pissed off cats)

20200712_164528.jpg

Other a good customer (has 5-6 classic cars I work on) his dodge fried the ECM and he kinda forced my hand by dropping it off. Kind of a cool truck, 1500 shortbed, extended cab with 5.2 and 5 speed manual. Somewhere along the line it had a motor swap, they messed up the grounds (no wonder ECM fried), missing vacuum lines and bolts falling out of brackets.

20200717_172239.jpg

20200717_171535.jpg

20200717_171540.jpg

the 5.2 the straight 5 cylinder diesel?

I wouldn't touch that with a 10' pole :laughing:

Unless you get to charge for all the time spent fucking around with tightening brackets and installing bolts.

the 5.2 the straight 5 cylinder diesel?

I wouldn't touch that with a 10' pole :laughing:

Unless you get to charge for all the time spent fucking around with tightening brackets and installing bolts.

No, the 5.2 as in fuel injected 318 gasser. The bolts were easy, they were laying on the side of the intake in ground squirrel shit 2" deep so didn't have to look far.

Best part of the job, wiping sweat off my face with my hand after digging in the rodent shit for the bolts then realizing......... I'm a dumbass....

Any updates?

It's just about "done" for now. Just waiting for my electrician buddy to feel good and come by so we can finish the last 5' of 2" conduit from the trench to the house panel and pull the wire (need to be heated and shaped to go up inside wall properly). He's in his 60's and had heart surgery a couple months or so ago.

Stuck all the dusk/dawn sensors on outside lights the AV code requires and added a motion/occupancy light inside as well.

Once cable pulled I have to put down a load of gravel for a "dust free driveway" and have my final inspection. Everything else has been signed off/OK'd without issue.

And power is on. So now its onto figuring out if where I stuffed my crap is usable or am I going to keep rearranging it. I need to save some $$ and finish insulation and drywall then scrounge up some pallet racking for storage. This weekend I'll hopefully get my mill/lathe moved in from front garage too.

BTW amazon sells dual row 8' LED lights 10 for $220 that are bright as hell and work well.
In below pics I've just cheated and wire tied them up as I'm not sure if they are going to stay in that position or I might need to move a little to get rid of shadows.

20200808_211910.jpg

20200808_211852.jpg

The mill/lathe will go in the open spot on the RH side of photo

20200809_164122.jpg

And the most important part of having a shop (teaching the younger generation)... My youngest brother showing the kids how to change and gap spark plugs using a SBC head.

20200808_182417.jpg

Got the little plasma area all squared away with PC,Monitor and plasma mounted and connected. Just need to do some cable management to cleanup the wire mess.

20200809_164133.jpg

So my brother and a buddy stopped by. A few beers later after we did brakes on a vanagon and injectors on a toyota we moved the last major part into the shop (for now).

Yes its a "toy" but any mill/lathe is better than none and it moves metal pretty good for what it is and I use the shit out of it. Vidmar cabinet to the right is full of tooling.

20200814_201609.jpg

20200814_202146.jpg

20200814_202018.jpg

IMG_20141005_103700_413.jpg

IMG_20141005_103447_551.jpg

It's awesome to see the kids learning valuable shop skills... I made sure my daughter spent a lot of time in the workshop with me when she was little... Although when I think about it, now she's older and driving it seems that the main thing she learned was 'if it breaks, take it to dad, he will fix it' 🤔

Good choice of skookum safety sticker on the mill too :)

Compressor is 220 5HP on a 30 amp circuit.

I have all receipts but havent actually added them up.... buuuut I think I am right about 28k. Concrete 8.2k, lumber 8k, roofing 2.5k, stucco 3k, electrical (with main run) 2k, doors 1.8k, beer 1k

That will draw less than 20 amps (math says less than 16---------------(5 hpx746watts/hp)/240 volts=15.54 amps.
Or, if it actually is 220 volts there--------------(5x746)/220=16.95 amps

You had to put in a larger breaker for the inrush current at startup.

Why transition from scissor to conventional trusses Instead of scissor the whole thing?

Cost for 1 and 2 the other side I spec'd them out as storage trusses. Its open down the middle of it and I've sheeted the floor with 4, 4x8 sheets of plywood.

Are you saying the scissor trusses are more expensive than storage trusses?

Top Back Refresh