What's new

3 link Toyota steering box

What about all the guys running rear engine?

Show me pictures of these rear engine cars you speak of?

Your Bomber example sucks also. Those cars have the mass of the motor trans and tcase as well as the drivers compartment centralized between the axles. You think a Bomber car has a 40/60 front to rear weight ratio like that mud racer does? :lmao:

I bet Randy's cars are alot closer to 50/50.

Last edited:
Are you really saying it wouldn't??? :laughing: Look at the mud racer I posted above and think really hard for a minuite..... or five, and then get back to me on that thought.

Dude, you're high. I know it wouldn't, a longer wheelbase, plus moving unsprung weight forward will help dramatically. The small amount of sprung weight transferred to the back would not be detrimental at all.

I'm not just speculating either, I've helped build and wheeled with tons of rigs built this way and they work well. I see the point you're trying to make, but you're blowing it way out of proportion.

Mid rear, you know what I meant. Campbell, ufo, ect. By your theory, they would all just flip over on any climb, and obviously no U4 guys are running water in their tires.

Where is the mass centralized on any of those mid engine U4 cars you mentioned above? The engines in those cars are not directly ovef the axle. More like several inches in front of. And where are the drivers compartments on all those cars....... Waaay up front, aren't they.

I bet the cars mentioned above are very close to 50/50 weight bias also.

I'm not saying pushing the axle 15" forward is automatically going to make it flip on every climb, but it's certainly not helping the situation. If he pushed both axles out 10" from stock it would be less prone to flipping do to the weight of the vehicle being more centralized. It's REALLY just simple physics..... Don't hate the player, hate the game. :laughing:

Alright back to the steering box issue. Would anyone see anything wrong with setting the Fj box just right in front of the tie rod so the pitman arm won't bottom out on it? or will that be too weird of angle with the drag link and pan hard?

Where is the mass centralized on any of those mid engine U4 cars you mentioned above? The engines in those cars are not directly ovef the axle. More like several inches in front of. And where are the drivers compartments on all those cars....... Waaay up front, aren't they.

I bet the cars mentioned above are very close to 50/50 weight bias also.

I'm not saying pushing the axle 15" forward is automatically going to make it flip on every climb, but it's certainly not helping the situation. If he pushed both axles out 10" from stock it would be less prone to flipping do to the weight of the vehicle being more centralized. It's REALLY just simple physics..... Don't hate the player, hate the game. :laughing:

Getting more arrogant with each post is just making you look dumber not smarter.

​​​​​​A fucking samurai is not 50/50 stock. You think that pushing the axle forward is magically going to shoot 80% of the weight to the rear axle? No, it's probably going to still be front biased over all.

Again, 15" isn't that much on a samurai. I think mine was 10" and 39.5s would rub the firewall slightly.

I literally can think of half a dozen local rigs off hand that were built this way. Big stretch in the front and little to no stretch in the rear. It works well, I've seen it. But go ahead and keep speculating and posting stupid pics.

Alright back to the steering box issue. Would anyone see anything wrong with setting the Fj box just right in front of the tie rod so the pitman arm won't bottom out on it? or will that be too weird of angle with the drag link and pan hard?

Yes, that would be too weird of an angle imo.

First lower the tie rod on the axle. There is little to no benifit having it as high as normal high steer arms are once you go links.

Once you do that, you'll probably start getting limited by other things like the diff in the oil pan or driveshaft around the same time the tie rod hits the steering box.

Have you mocked up a panhard bar yet?

Yes, that would be too weird of an angle imo.

First lower the tie rod on the axle. There is little to no benifit having it as high as normal high steer arms are once you go links.

Once you do that, you'll probably start getting limited by other things like the diff in the oil pan or driveshaft around the same time the tie rod hits the steering box.

Have you mocked up a panhard bar yet?

No I haven't mocked up the pan hard yet that next on my list. Also quick question on caster if you know offhand. currently have it set up for 2.5 degrees like stock but I've read 5 is more ideal. Do you have any input on this?

you should tell jesse his front axle is too far forward

open-uri20160228-27039-1k5bae8.jpg

No I haven't mocked up the pan hard yet that next on my list. Also quick question on caster if you know offhand. currently have it set up for 2.5 degrees like stock but I've read 5 is more ideal. Do you have any input on this?

Try to throw at minimum a piece of pvc in there to at least get an idea of how the panhard will fit. Having something kinda similar mocked up in my garage and I can sympathize that I can be overwhelming trying to mock up everything at once. :laughing:

There was a recent thread in gen4x4 on this. Seems like opinions vary quite a bit. But the most common seems to be 6-8" I'm not sure that there is a magic number for every rig with different king pin inclination, scrub radius, tire size, ect. Luckily if you shoot for ~7* you have plenty of adjustment with a 3 link.

I actually read somewhere (I'm pretty sure it was Jesse) that some guys prefer a rear bias on sprung weight, then an over all front bias. Obviously they do this by filling 42" tires full of water in the front. But is still contrary to what you'd think as far as sprung weight.

Obviously that buggy pictured is not set up that way though, so either I'm thinking of someone else, or he changed his theory.

With the drivetrain and occupants behind the middle of the wheelbase, bet this 'tard does back flips everywhere he goes :flipoff2:

fetch?id=172725&d=1603637071.jpg

post #2 of this thread :laughing:

I saw it, I also said it once before, op didn't seem to acknowledge it, so I said it again since I think its more of an advantage than he realizes. :flipoff2:

I personally like the fror flat arms, I'd probably do tie rod under and dragging on top. The other thing you can potentially do, if you figure out all the motion ratios right, is mount the drag link behind the tie rod. This is what I'm doing on my pos, but it's a little different being a D60 with the tie rod on the stock pivot point. (artec arms)

is mount the drag link behind the tie rod. This is what I'm doing on my pos, but it's a little different being a D60 with the tie rod on the stock pivot point. (artec arms)

thats how mine is on my tow rig

tie rod is in the factory position(otk)
drag link goes to the tie rod hole on the high steer arm, gives me an awesome turning radius

20180620_194349.jpg

Last edited:
The amount of stupid in this thread is amazing..... :shaking:

Where are all the pics of these super front stretched rigs doing impossible climbs??? Same with the REAR engine rigs??? Why don't any of them resemble that mud rig???

Every fuccking rig posted in this thread has the mass centered between the axles. Including my fucking SxS. :homer:

Im amazed how far you tards are willing to go to argue something you have no fucking clue about.

I'm done here. It's obvious I'm not going to fix stupid.

The amount of stupid in this thread is amazing..... :shaking:

Where are all the pics of these super front stretched rigs doing impossible climbs??? Same with the REAR engine rigs??? Why don't any of them resemble that mud rig???

Every fuccking rig posted in this thread has the mass centered between the axles. Including my fucking SxS. :homer:

Im amazed how far you tards are willing to go to argue something you have no fucking clue about.

I'm done here. It's obvious I'm not going to fix stupid.

Wow, really triple doubling down on your stupid posts?

I don't even know where to begin.

First you say you want the motor over the front axle, then now you switch to having the mass centered? Well what is it?

To actually refer to the op, literally everything is between the axles except a 7 lb tail gate and a 9 gallon gas tank.

I don't have pics of any of the rigs I'm talking about, it's pretty common really with buggies out toyotas. Not that there is any point in arguing with someone who thinks he knows more than everyone. :rolleyes:

Do you have enough space to run the tie rod behind the axle. My old international was setup this way.

Top Back Refresh