What's new

3 Gun shooters

tribal4krawler

DKA Motorsports
Member Number
So how many of y’all have tried 3gun before? I’ve been researching and thinking about trying it for a long time but finally jumping in. I’ve got a F1 Firearms BDRX15 with a vortex 1-8x24 and 5 mags, Cantik Mete SFX with 6 mags and picking up a mossberg 930 JM Pro. The plan to start is to have my wife try it too but I suspect she won’t really be into it (and I really don’t want to buy a whole other setup for her. We’re signed up for a club match in a couple weeks but still don’t have belts or mag pouches yet. I’ve looked at safariland and ratchet systems but boy i just have no idea. I have a feeling we might show up with mags stuffed in our pockets lol

It can be a gear intensive sport. I have a velcro pistol belt and hang magazines and or pistol off it. I use a Vepr12 so I don't need shell caddies.

So my load out is:

Walther PPQ M2 Match in a kydex holster.
Three 20 round mags (one in the gun, two in kydex mag pouch).
AR is one I built on an 80% with a 1-6 Primary arms illuminated reticle which I turn on and use as a red-dot, and can dial it up to 6x if there are targets past 100. And a kydex mag pouch.
Vepr12 with 10 round Molot mags, and a kydex mag pouch.

Blade-Tech make good products for a reasonable price.

I seriously considered running a mag shotty (and still want to buy one eventually because they look sweet) but didn’t like that I’d have to run open class. Other than the BDR which I did get for a great price the rest of my system thus far is very budget oriented. I’ve heard several people mention blade tech. What Velcro belt are you running.

I seriously considered running a mag shotty (and still want to buy one eventually because they look sweet) but didn’t like that I’d have to run open class. Other than the BDR which I did get for a great price the rest of my system thus far is very budget oriented. I’ve heard several people mention blade tech. What Velcro belt are you running.
Just a basic 5:11. I've looked at all the fancy-ass belts, and I realized that my money would be much better spent on practice. I do use Tru-spec pants with the built-in knee pads, sometimes you have to go to a knee.

I wouldn't worry too much about buying a bunch of fancy, purpose built equipment before you get a few matches under your belt.

You'll probably learn a few things and see what works for you and what is just a waste of money.

Just a basic 5:11. I've looked at all the fancy-ass belts, and I realized that my money would be much better spent on practice. I do use Tru-spec pants with the built-in knee pads, sometimes you have to go to a knee.
I hear ya. I’ve had a midway inner/outer belt that’s like 28 bucks in my checkout box for a couple days. I think I’ll probably bite on it and some bladetech pouches to get started with.

8706958A-2A2B-4345-98D4-239244BCB435.jpeg
4807B060-A0FA-4985-B8F7-1BA4C8FEE2AC.jpeg

My pew pews for 3 gun. Really enjoying the Canik Mete SFX. From what I’ve read it’s very similar (or a copy) of the Walther Q Match.

It's been 6 years or so since I shot a 3 gun match so I don't know what they are like now. Don't worry about shooting well or fast. For your first few matches just worry about being safe and learning the flow of things.

Likely you won't need more than 3 mags for the pistol and rifle for a single stage. The range will probably be a cold range so you will not have any loaded guns until you are on the line and ready to shoot. One mistake I made early on was to not have a mag pouch for my starting mag when I was between stages.

The stages we shot were mostly 25 yards and under, however it was not uncommon to have a few AR targets out to 300. Make sure you know your bullet drop for extended ranges.

You might need some slugs for the shotgun and you will need to know the POA/POI out to 100 yards. Try to get the lightest slug loads you can find, but make sure you test them before. Shotguns can be very finicky on what they will cycle. I don't think we ever shot buck shot. Reloading the shotgun is the most awkward part of the whole day. I would say if you are going to practice anything before hand, watch some videos online and practice reloading the shotgun. Be prepared to pinch your thumb and get your thumb nail caught on the shell lifter. If your wife has fancy nails this will be the part she doesn't like the most.

Have a plan for what you are going to do with all of your gear while you are not shooting. You will spend 1-2 minutes shooting and then 30ish minutes watching other people shoot before moving to the next stage. This is why wagons and jogging strollers are so popular in 3-gun. One range I use to shoot at was fairly large so people would bring SXS's with gun racks on them. One guy had vertical racks mounted to the outside of the cage on a YJ. Also mag loading tools are well worth the money.

As for a belt, I ran a normal gun type belt for a long time before I switched to a Double Alpha inner/outer type. The only advantage to an inner/outer style I could see at this point is that it would be easy to swap between you and your wife if you got two inner belts, assuming you both have similar size waists.

thanks for your insights! yeah i'm not going to be trying to quad load but i've known how to load doubles for quite some time so i'll just stick to that on the shotty. i have a fair amount of sporting clay/bird hunting experience so i don't think i'll suck too bad on that. like you said, the main thing will be not getting too excited and blowing through a course and missing everything. i was pretty concerned about only having one spare mag for my Canik (1 20 and 1 18) but I was able to find a blem Sig p226 20rd mag that I had to very slightly modify (the mag release mainly) but now it's working perfectly so i should be good with the 2 20s and a 18. On the AR i've got 5 mags now. Only thing i'm still missing from my kit is quad shell holders. I also found a pretty cool range (from what i've seen on FB) that isn't crazy far but has tactical shooting practice weekly and several events a month.

Top Back Refresh