What's new

3/4" diameter welding rod

There used to be an absolutely fuckin amazing discussion on one of the welding forums started by a crew member that welds cracked sow blocks on GIGANTIC forging presses and punch presses. He was talking about repair measurement in FEET of width and depth, and burning up like 10 of those huge rods an hour for days on end to finish the repair. It was absolutely fucking amazing.
Unfortunately all the pics are gone because of the photobucket bullshit, which is to bad it was definitely a sight see.

I've seen a video from Abom and one from that Welding fella in TX. They were talking about 1000A running that thing.

My dad still has his dads welder outtah the shipyard. dual axle, 352 Ford v8 to power it. He has told me stories of rods 1/2" and larger that grandpa used to use, but I've never seen them.

Somewhere I have a 5/8 or so rod from a former employer. Cool to look at but I'm sure it's hell to burn more than one.

One of our contractors had a great story about a sag mill almost splitting in two at Montana tunnels back in the day. They brought in a bunch of 1000a rental welders and went to town stitching it back together. Probably only were using 1/2" rod though.

My dad still has his dads welder outtah the shipyard. dual axle, 352 Ford v8 to power it. He has told me stories of rods 1/2" and larger that grandpa used to use, but I've never seen them.
That sounds bad ass, do you have any pics?

Fuck kiddies. You haven't welded shit! Enjoy!:smokin:

I don't think they knew how to spell PPE back in the day. :eek:

There used to be an absolutely fuckin amazing discussion on one of the welding forums started by a crew member that welds cracked sow blocks on GIGANTIC forging presses and punch presses. He was talking about repair measurement in FEET of width and depth, and burning up like 10 of those huge rods an hour for days on end to finish the repair. It was absolutely fucking amazing.
Unfortunately all the pics are gone because of the photobucket bullshit, which is to bad it was definitely a sight see.

I remember that dude from the old Hobart site back in the day....he had those huge banks of O2 bottles for cutting out the crack. Those were always fun threads. Him and Engloid

Fuck kiddies. You haven't welded shit! Enjoy!:smokin:

I don't think they knew how to spell PPE back in the day. :eek:

I've formed metal that way....1 off pieces in the middle of nowhere for odd ball equipment just to get done. I can fully appreciate what it took back in the day. Temp field mod thrust or spherical bearings are a bitch. Just making 2 pieces agree to be 1 is bad enough without a sufficient arc.

I've formed metal that way....1 off pieces in the middle of nowhere for odd ball equipment just to get done. I can fully appreciate what it took back in the day. Temp field mod thrust or spherical bearings are a bitch. Just making 2 pieces agree to be 1 is bad enough without a sufficient arc.

How does that work? Is it just close enough to molten that adding pressure is good enough to get it to liquify and fuse on a microscopic level and you just keep hitting it until it's all fused.

Top Back Refresh