What's new

2v 4.6L oil question

F***roads

Member Number
Loc
Canukistan
I've got an 04 f150 with the 4.6 2v. n00b question. the manual calls for 5-20, and from what I can tell the previous gen called for 5 -30. is there any pro/con to just using 5-30 in my tired engine? its got 388 000km. was wondering if the slightly thicker oil would be beneficial? what do the fellow ford folk say?

cool, I use wix filters as well. you use full synth? or just conventional? i run Castrol high mileage now, may switch it up.

Yep Ford did it for better MPG
I hope I didn't take some life out of it running 5-20 all these years. 5-30 is going in next oil change. that little fucker isn't fast, but it gets abused & keeps coming back for more.

I hope I didn't take some life out of it running 5-20 all these years. 5-30 is going in next oil change. that little fucker isn't fast, but it gets abused & keeps coming back for more.
I had a 96er in a grand marquis that was still going at almost 300k. Only got retired because my kid flipped the car on its lid.

It will be fine. You can run either viscosity.

I use to work on Cop cars, Crown Vic's with4.6 2v's, we put 5/20 in those and the Cops never fucked one up, so you should be safe, you can't beat anything harder than the Cops do or you wouldn't have a license.

thank you all for your perspective. any recommendations on oil brands also? currently run Castrol high mileage blend. I tried full synthetic once and I swear it burned/leaked more oil on it, but maybe that was just in my head..

thank you all for your perspective. any recommendations on oil brands also? currently run Castrol high mileage blend. I tried full synthetic once and I swear it burned/leaked more oil on it, but maybe that was just in my head..
Dealers choice, but I have put hundreds of thousands of miles on 5qts of Mobile1 and 1qt of Lucas on 5k change intervals on several Fords. 4.6's and a 5.4L

Top Back Refresh