What's new

2RZ Falling on its face

Stevsie

Member Number
was given a 1996 2RZ 2wd Tacoma. Planned on swapping it all over into my ‘71 Hilux but wanted to drive it for the summer. Did the ol revive n drive on it. Drove 2 hours down to get it, put a battery in and wired the fuel pump backward to unlock it. Got fuel to it and it ran and drove great the 2 hrs home. Proceeded to drive it to work for a week or so and did a fuel filter, plugs, new battery, flushed the coolant. Ran great.

Loaded it up the other day to haul dirtbikes and it slowly started running like shit. Would chug out when ever you touched the throttle and could barely get it home. Now it will only idle and if you touch the throttle it sounds like it’s trying to die and pop through the intake. Lots of stumbling but when it idles there’s no miss and it idles just as it should. I’m at a loss.

I’ve replaced the MAF, TPS, and cleaned the IAC with the throttle body. Checked for broken wires n such and broken intake boots. Also no check engine light yet.

Any ideas? Attached is a video of it running but not sure if it’ll go through.

Swapped a buddies throttle body on today and no difference. Going to drop the tank and throw a new pump and strainer in.

Excuse me

Attachments

• E5280CD7-AAE4-4281-AC62-7A32F79E63B3.jpeg
    E5280CD7-AAE4-4281-AC62-7A32F79E63B3.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 8
Just keep tossing parts at it instead of trouble shooting. :flipoff2:
Just post a stupid comment instead of something useful :flipoff2:

If I smack the bottom of the tank before I start it I can get a handful of throttle blips out of it before it starts cutting out. Also when I dropped the tank to get it running it had a ripped fuel strainer anyways. Plus the inside of the tank and the pickup assembly itself had Chrystalized schmoo on it. Just trying to rule shit out and extra parts sitting on the shelf don’t hurt my feelings any.

Fuel pressure?
How do you check fuel pressure on these motors? I’m guessing you have to have one of those kit deals to put in between the banjo fittings? I can find a schrader valve on the rail.

How do you check fuel pressure on these motors? I’m guessing you have to have one of those kit deals to put in between the banjo fittings? I can find a schrader valve on the rail.
I have no idea, I've never ever seen a toyota motor :homer:. On early 90s chevys I've made fuel pressure test manifolds out of fuel lines and connected them after the fuel filter at the fuel filter.

I experienced the exact same symptoms with my old 3rz. Dirt wiped out the pump enough so that it would start and idle, but couldnt deliver any demand. A walbro fixed everything.

No test port, gotta put a fitting it at the banjo.

If you have a fuel system in the condition you describe you are wasting any time doing anything else.

I'd start with cleaning the tank, new OEM pump, filter, etc.

Take the injectors out and clean the screens. Maybe buy a cleaning kit and pulse them while spraying them out.

All of this shit is more then two decades old, you have to start going through and making things right if it's deteriorated that bad.

Just post a stupid comment instead of something useful :flipoff2:

If I smack the bottom of the tank before I start it I can get a handful of throttle blips out of it before it starts cutting out. Also when I dropped the tank to get it running it had a ripped fuel strainer anyways. Plus the inside of the tank and the pickup assembly itself had Chrystalized schmoo on it. Just trying to rule shit out and extra parts sitting on the shelf don’t hurt my feelings any.
emecreator.org%2Fstatic%2Fimages%2Fmemes%2F4182902.jpg

Giving details like this stop what you call "stupid comments". Just saying... :flipoff2:

emecreator.org%2Fstatic%2Fimages%2Fmemes%2F4182902.jpg

Giving details like this stop what you call "stupid comments". Just saying... :flipoff2:
Sorry it’s all coming back to me now.
I experienced the exact same symptoms with my old 3rz. Dirt wiped out the pump enough so that it would start and idle, but couldnt deliver any demand. A walbro fixed everything.

It indeed was the fuel pump. Cleaned the shit out of the inside of the tank and put a new pump and sock on. Good to go.

Fuck dude you replaced all those parts instead of just putting a new pump in? That's a new level of self hate...

Fuck dude you replaced all those parts instead of just putting a new pump in? That's a new level of self hate...
I would have loved to test fuel pressure but apparently there’s no schrader valve. Oh well. The only extra parts I replaced were the TPS and Maf. Not a huge deal IMO.

Ain’t nobody got no time to correctly diagnose shit. :homer:

Ain’t nobody got no time to correctly diagnose shit. :homer:
You are correct considering I work 70+ hrs a week from Monday-Friday and when I’m not working my wife is so I’m soaking up time with my toddlers. Sometimes it’s easier to bolt a few parts on in the hopes something works. Throw shit at the wall and see if it sticks ya know?

hit the easy button and send it to someone to fix it for you
If the fuel pump didn’t fix it I was planning on dropping it with a buddy who’s done a few RZ swaps. Or just keep pecking at it when I had time. Either way I’m glad it’s running again so I can proceed to beat the shit out of it and treat it poorly for the rest of the summer until it gets sacrificed for the Hilux swap.

I get it, just sucks when those parts are expensive and you got nothing out of it. At least you know you have a new MAF which is failure prone when old.

I bought the China ones. Less than 100$ between the two 😂

Top Back Refresh