What's new

2nd gen ram power steering fuck up

1981K20

Up North
Member Number
Loc
North of MT but south of AK
Wtf :mad3:

Replaced the power steering pump 450 miles ago. Seemed to work good.

Went out to move the truck and found that all of the fluid leaked out from where the pump was pressed into the reservoir. Warranty replacement from Napa was identical reman bullshit.

Installed it, bled it (front end off the ground, turned lock to lock with truck off then lock to lock with the truck on). Still no power steering. I swear it was easier to turn with the truck off than when the truck was running.

I figured the replacement pump was fucked so I went back to Napa and they had a brand new one in the box that they replaced it with.

Installed it and same fucking thing.

Any ideas???

Truck in question, 01 Ram 3500 24 valve

Screenshot_20210905-170208_Gallery.jpg

I think something in the steering box is fucked and causing your problem.
Do you happen to know if the pump flows through the steering box then on to the hydraboost brakes?

I was fucking around and found that I have next to no brakes and while on the ground it will not turn at all.

This is frustrating :eek:

Do you happen to know if the pump flows through the steering box then on to the hydraboost brakes?

I was fucking around and found that I have next to no brakes and while on the ground it will not turn at all.

This is frustrating :eek:
I’m guessing you have air in the lines, when I did my steering box I was told to turn lock to lock 100 times with the truck off to bleed it. And it still had some hesitation on the road after that.

Did you get just the pump or the vac/pump combo?
Just the pump. I'll try turning lock to lock 100 times to see if that helps but right now as soon as I put it on the ground I have no steering. I can't even move it from where it's parked, which I find odd because I have had this truck lose a power steering hose before and I could still turn it by hand. Now there is no chance of turning it by hand, or maybe there is but it feels like I'm going to break something :confused:

How are your connections at hydrobooster? Maybe there’s small leaks, where it’s just enough for air to leak in and allow the ps fluid to go back in reservoir & overfill it and air leaking into it preventing it from air to bled out, ever?

Also have you revved the engine past 1,500 rpm?

I’m having my own quirks with my 2nd gen ps pump too.

My ps pump will not do anything after starting until i blip the throttle and it’ll wake up. I made a habit to blip the throttle if there’s no power steer assist. My best theory is that the vane inside the pump isn’t seeing enough rpm for centrifugal force needed to come out & ride on the cam.

Fixed!!!!!

Was the steering box. I have owned 3 of these, currently own a 2500 and 3500 dually...I NEVER THOUGHT THEY WOULD EVER STEER LIKE THIS!!! Very easy to turn, light feeling and no play. My slight pull to the right is also gone.

All these years I thought the 'heavy'' front end was normal :laughing:

Will be replacing power steering pump and steering box in the 2500 asap.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Fixed!!!!!

Was the steering box. I have owned 3 of these, currently own a 2500 and 3500 dually...I NEVER THOUGHT THEY WOULD EVER STEER LIKE THIS!!! Very easy to turn, light feeling and no play. My slight pull to the right is also gone.

:smokin:

Fixed!!!!!

Since you're happy with it...
Where'd you get the box from?

I saw a guy who put a new pump in and didn't take the little blue plastic plug out of the high pressure fitting before he installed it. When he fired up the truck it shot that little plug down the line into the steering box and destroyed it.

Price out a Red-Head steering box and a autopart store reman. May not be much more to get a quality box.

Top Back Refresh