What's new

2nd Gen ram axle\brake upgrade opinions

350TacoZilla

Member Number
Loc
MD
So I'm just spitballing here because I have way too much time on my hands and not enough money to try all my ideas, if pointless bench racing upsets you move on I suppose but this might end up getting done down the rd if money becomes available for it.

I'm back and forth on doing the D50-60 ford outers on my 94 ram front D60 to get manual hubs, I'm not against the unit bearings since they are an easy service deal but there are certainly benefits to the swap like the spindle strength, hubs for better MPGs and reduced wear, better brakes etc. I'd also like to change rear if I do the front swap to get rid of the drums and go with disc's but still want to be able to run a 16-16.5 wheel. I also hate when the rear axle is way narrower than the front so that got me thinking about express\savanna van D70's with the factory disc brakes but I know nothing about them. Are this gen (03+ correct?) van axle the same 70" i have seen for earlier ones? I would love a 14bolt disc setup but it looks like the newer truck axles are around 68.5" WMS and that wouldn't be bad but not as close to front as I would like, going DRW silverado\sierra jumps to the 11.5 and they seem to be going for more $$ than the 10.5 or van D70 (was there a van D80 in these years?) and the truck currently has a D70 so seems like it would be fine strength wise.

I'll eventually get mine going :laughing:

Id really look into swapping 99-04 Ford knuckles out, and a matching 10.5 rear. Everything about that generation is inexpensive to obtain.

Brakes alone are worth it

20220510_164327.jpg

The stock Ram rear diff is about 70".

After you add the ford hubs up front you'll be at 73-74". Might as well get the dually pickup rear to match closer. E350/450 is another wide Dana axle with discs.

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking that the width would be close to the drw truck. Not sure what all width the van stuff comes in like straight van srw, cutaway srw and cutaway drw. The pickup dually rears I have seen around here are 2x or 3x the money of the van rears. I understand that the 11.5 is a way heavier duty axle and all that but overkill for my needs and again money is tight. If I could get a rear in something 70-74 range that clears a standard 16" wheel it would be great. My thinking was the vans used that wheel size for years after the trucks correct?

The cutaway van is typically dually pickup width.

I've had a few of the e-series cutaway diffs; 73-76" wide. 8x6.5" pattern with 16's. The disc ones may or may not have a parking brake. Mine have been 70u and 70hd - presumably from motorhomes. The 80 you probably have to get from an ambulance or max gvwr option.

In my 94 dodge I have a factory disk brake 14 bolt (AAM 10.5). I have a dodge dana 60 front axle and the width difference is not that noticeable. I personally like having a narrower rear axle. I 100% believe it helps turning on the trail.

I would take any width difference for the 14 bolt though. I really like the axle and has better ground clearance than the 70's with just a simple cut and grind cover.

If it was staying stock front setup the 68.5" 14 bolt would be fine width wise but the hub swap adds like 3" to the width of front then making rear about 1" narrower than stock would add up to look bit odd. The truck is a dd/tow rig so trail turning isn't a priority but I do appreciate the thought, I know people claim that's a reason they did the track widths different from factory. I found a place about 2hrs from me that has 2 different width express rears but it's a pull it yourself with 0 info available so I would have to make the trip to measure them and also find out gearing (I'm currently running 4.10s). Like I said I'm bench racing at this point but it's a swap I keep thinking about so info is always helpful for making the decision.

Top Back Refresh