What's new

2nd Gen Dodge steering

Rooster831

RIP 4/22
Member Number
Anyone modify/upgrade their steering links on a 94-02 Dodge 2500/3500? Been wondering if I can drill out the knuckles and pitman arm to accept a 7/8" heim with a 3/4" bolt. Tie rod on bottom, drag link on top single shear.
Has a Redhead steering box and aftermarket track bar, Main concern is the added length of the drag link wont match the angle/length of the track bar and cause bump steer.
I wouldn't mind building a new track bar and mounts with heims aswell if that's an issue Ill run into.
Also considering just getting the 09+ T link style steering setup Ive heard its a great upgrade.
Any input/opinions on this?

I just did the t style upgrade on my 02 2500. Simple as can be it all bolts in easy peasy. Even bought the mopar kit off amazon for 40$ less than my buddys cost at local dealer he works at.
No bump steer at all and i daily drive the truck for two weeks since i did the swap.
i am gonna build my own track bar with hiems soon as i can have a day free. I have a new bar on it but i put longer control arms to make up for little lift and now the pumpkin touches the bar on heavy bumps.

If it's a driver just go with the 09+. I did it on my 06 and it was a great upgrade. I don't know if the steering box brace is a thing on your generation, but it kept my napa reman alive far longer than the factory box lasted.

I just did the t style upgrade on my 02 2500. Simple as can be it all bolts in easy peasy. Even bought the mopar kit off amazon for 40$ less than my buddys cost at .

That sounds like the best way to go, then atleast It would be a part I could buy anywhere if it somehow broke and got stranded away from home. Planning on Building a radius arm setup for it after my Tacoma is done, with brackets welded under the frame by the trans crossmember. The factory arms are terrible and Its only 2" over stock height.

If it's a driver just go with the 09+. I did it on my 06 and it was a great upgrade. I don't know if the steering box brace is a thing on your generation, but it kept my napa reman alive far longer than the factory box lasted.

I've heard pros and cons to the steering box brace on the 2nd gens, I guess with the brace installed when you turn the wheel and the frame flexes it puts an unnatural load on the sector shaft. Not sure if true or not Id have to do some more research. Wouldn't be a hard part to make from some flat plate and a carrier bearing though

Last edited:
Thuren Fabrication, Dodge Offroad, and Synergy offroad all make heavy-duty steering for the 2nd gen.

I also had well over 100k miles on mine with a steering box brace with no problems with the steering box.

Anyone modify/upgrade their steering links on a 94-02 Dodge 2500/3500? Been wondering if I can drill out the knuckles and pitman arm to accept a 7/8" heim with a 3/4" bolt. Tie rod on bottom, drag link on top single shear.
Has a Redhead steering box and aftermarket track bar, Main concern is the added length of the drag link wont match the angle/length of the track bar and cause bump steer.
I wouldn't mind building a new track bar and mounts with heims aswell if that's an issue Ill run into.
Also considering just getting the 09+ T link style steering setup Ive heard its a great upgrade.
Any input/opinions on this?

What reason for the upgrade? Is your truck lifted at all or are you just looking for a better feel for DDing?
I just picked up an 01 2500, I haven't driven it yet to see how the steering is. I do need to check for play in the tie rods etc. It's all pretty beefy. Mine is 8800 GVW if that matters.

Thuren Fabrication, Dodge Offroad, and Synergy offroad all make heavy-duty steering for the 2nd gen.

I also had well over 100k miles on mine with a steering box brace with no problems with the steering box.

Gotta watch though, some of those only work if you have over x" of lift. I was gonna go Thuren on my 07, but did the 09+ instead due to the minimum lift required for it to function properly.

My ‘99 2500 is stock with 315x75-16s. At 160k miles it got to the point I couldn’t keep it in a lane. Steering box was replaced with a Red Head and the track arm was replaced with a Moog. Drag link seems fine. It drives good now.

What are you looking to achieve?

Last edited:
My ‘99 2500 is stock with 315x75-16s. At 160k miles it got to the point I couldn’t keep it in a lane. Steering box was replaced with a Red Head and the track arm was replaced with a Moog. Track arm seems fine. It drives good now.

What are you looking to achieve?

The track arm will be fine for a while but the tie rod end they used on the frame side will loosen up in short order, it's just a failtacular design to use a tie rod in that fashion. Later stuff uses a regular bushing like the axle side does and all of the components are much larger and wear much better.

Gotta watch though, some of those only work if you have over x" of lift. I was gonna go Thuren on my 07, but did the 09+ instead due to the minimum lift required for it to function properly.

Good point. I forgot about that since I had the Thuren 3" lift on mine.

I had a 97 and the taper was diff than 00+ so i couldnt do the 09 upgrade, but I went HD moog trac bar, T steering, HD steering box (50% larger than the regular ones) and it was never 100%.

​​​​

I built a different track bar mount for mine to use a 7/8 heim and wrapped all the way around the back side of the frame and then built a frame brace/cross member that tied the 2 frame rails togeather right at the steering box. It pretty much eliminated all my steering problems and slop.

Top Back Refresh