What's new

2D Floor Plan Design Software

TTMotorsports

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Lucerne Valley, CA
OK so I'm looking at a piece of property and it doesn't have a home so I am looking to build a steel building, bardominium on it. Basically a 1 Bed 1 Bath small home inside the shop with a large 2000 sq ft garage attached. I am wanting to get a rough layout of a living room, kitchen, bathroom, laundry, bedroom to determine how much living space I would need/want. Since I would mainly want the garage space but the area that i'm looking to buy in I can't just build a steel shop on without a home since it's permited as an accessory building, which is why I would just want to build a living area inside the steel building with a large garage since they have no restrictions on garage sizes, lol

So basically looking for a good floor plan layout program for free that I can play around with. Thanks.

this works, and it in in budget so hang in there until the end

graph paper

lay our your building to chosen scale
furniture, bays, hoists, showers and toilets,
again individually cut out to the same chosen scale above

move your furniture around, or shop around until you get an idea that you are looking for

seen it done, and have done it myself

OK gotcha. I use my 2D Sheetcam type program I draw stuff on to cut out on my CNC Plasma. So I'll take some measurements and draw it out in that and see what I can come up with.

OK gotcha. I use my 2D Sheetcam type program I draw stuff on to cut out on my CNC Plasma. So I'll take some measurements and draw it out in that and see what I can come up with.
oh
I have used the CAD for my cutting table too

I was thinking that you were going to have to learn a new software, and sometimes that isn't worth it

Use that table software, it will be less messy with the confetti

this works, and it in in budget so hang in there until the end

graph paper

lay our your building to chosen scale
furniture, bays, hoists, showers and toilets,
again individually cut out to the same chosen scale above

move your furniture around, or shop around until you get an idea that you are looking for

seen it done, and have done it myself
Did this recently rearranging my garage.

We did some homeowner type software thing on the internet for our bathroom remodels and I didn’t care for it as things seemed not to size.

Did this recently rearranging my garage.

We did some homeowner type software thing on the internet for our bathroom remodels and I didn’t care for it as things seemed not to size.
I did that too for my garage, but instead of graph paper I used Autocad. :flipoff2:

But seriously, graph paper is a great option if software is a limitation. I’ll use that until I get something I’m happy with, then transfer to autocad.

I have used painters tape on the floor for layout before. Keep moving it till its right. Then in thebarea I had questions I tipped up scrap wood at cabinet perimeters to make sure it was still walkable. Now I have a tiny room at the back of a gravel carport. And to think I used to think a 2 car garage wasn’t worth the effort for a build//repair area :homer:

OK so I'm looking at a piece of property and it doesn't have a home so I am looking to build a steel building, bardominium on it. Basically a 1 Bed 1 Bath small home inside the shop with a large 2000 sq ft garage attached. I am wanting to get a rough layout of a living room, kitchen, bathroom, laundry, bedroom to determine how much living space I would need/want. Since I would mainly want the garage space but the area that i'm looking to buy in I can't just build a steel shop on without a home since it's permited as an accessory building, which is why I would just want to build a living area inside the steel building with a large garage since they have no restrictions on garage sizes, lol

So basically looking for a good floor plan layout program for free that I can play around with. Thanks.

This is a great use for Sketchup.

Trimble bought it from Google and Trimble fucked up a great thing but I think you can find the older Google versions and maybe even still use the Trimble Pro version free.

OK got it layed out. Tried a few different ways but this should work perfectly and be within my budget depending on how much well and septic stuff costs along with Permits. Total building is 40ft x 65ft and the dots on the program I set to 1ft square. Not a lot of room but comfortable and i've lived in a smaller apartment with a girlfriend before without issues. will still have a 47'x 40' shop space. PLUS above the living area will be a mezzanine for more storage and the white box near bed is for a staircase I will build to get above it. I will have a forklift as well so I'll put some pallet racking where it fits and be able to lift stuff ontop of living area with that if needed. Each box represents 10'x20' for a vehicle with work area around it. s

Attachments

• Barndominium Layout.png
    Barndominium Layout.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I'd put another bathroom with a utility sink in the shop area personally. Walking through the bedroom to take a piss or wash your hands will get old real quick. Maybe even under the stairs?

Yeah I will put one in under the stairs and move the door from living area to shop over to put a small landing ontop of the stairs for the toilet and tub sink for easy cleanup. My old shop had a wash sink under the stairs and always used that and never the one in the bathroom in office.

go bigger on the shop if you can swing it
It is never big enough:laughing:

two things I see
1. agree with the bathroom, and when you walk into your bedroom with metal still stuck in your boots will get old when you find them in your feet later that night
when you are greasy and you need the bathroom
when your friends need to wreck your bathroom and then question the brand of lube that is still sitting out
when you are selling a car, and the buyer really needs to use the bathroom......
b. closets?
III. you load the cutting table with a forklift? I do and that seems like a odd spot to me

5. I'd rock it anyway, move in

OK Here's is the next revision of many I am sure. Made a landing at top of the stairs with a bathroom under it for the shop. I may actually do a sliding barn type door for this so I can keep it open but can be shut if someone needs to use it and is shy. The half circle arc's along wall are gonna be the windows so 2 in living room, 1 kitch, 1 bathroom and 1 bedroom above the bed. Also I would love to go 50x80 or 50x100 BUT the ex wife took my extra money I had so I'm on a limited budget, which doesn't go as far currently since everything is so damn expensive, $65 for a sheet of 1/2" OSB, and will go as big as possible because I know how shop space is. Never big enough and even if it is big you will fill it up. Also the CNC Plasma cutter I don't cut anything thicker than 1/4" or maybe once in a while 3/8" thick and I have a couple small pieces that are easy to handle by hand. I have a nice pipe vise that I modified to use with my engine hoist to pick up pieces of plate to load it on there easily.

Barndominium Layout with shop bathroom.png

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh