What's new

2bb bought a pos excavator and needs input from people smarter then him

2big bronco

Og irate
Member Number
Loc
Prunedale ca
So the turd fired right up cold (to the touch) yesterday and now that I got it home it wont. It is puffing white smoke while cranking so I assume it's getting fuel.

I know nothing about small diesels but it apears simple enough... I noticed there are a couple wires coming out of what apears to be the glow plug harness that at one time were attached to a resistor of some sort but only 2 are now and fuck if I know where the other ends go.
I'm thinking the glow plugs are not working and I am tempted to jump them with my jumper cables and see if that starts it. If they normally see 12 volts should there be any problem doing this? it's an early 90s model with no computer... then if this works can I tear all the wiring out and just hook them to a ford starter cylonoid and a push button?

20200717_173630.jpg

I wouldn't worry about glow plugs immediately...first thing I'd check would be to look for a fuel shutoff solenoid somewhere and make sure it's getting power.

After review of your picture, I changed my mind - obviously it's not running because the spark plug isn't seated in the engine block. :flipoff2:

I wonder if those 2 female plugs were connected? Think lesbian plugs.

After review of your picture, I changed my mind - obviously it's not running because the spark plug isn't seated in the engine block. :flipoff2:

As the first thing I noticed. It looks like that is the now oil drain line/ plug. Remove spark plug and lower below oil pan.

I wouldn't worry about glow plugs immediately...first thing I'd check would be to look for a fuel shutoff solenoid somewhere and make sure it's getting power.

If it's got white smoke there's fuel, I'd check the glow plugs. Or disconnect them and give her a shot of ether. Was it warmer yesterday when you started it? We went through a similar problem at work a couple months ago. Cold mornings and she was a bear to start. New glow plugs and a new starter from having to overcrank for a while and she fires right up now
​​​​​​

Wire them to momentary 12v and it should fire up if they work. 30 seconds on is plenty. White smoke is raw fuel, without enough heat to light.

Well since that wire sparked I knew it was hot. Touched that wire to the top of a glow plug for about 10 seconeds and it fired instantly.

I am beyond excited to have a mostly mechanical all worn out turd that is simple to look at and understand how it works

And that is what our wives think of us. Comforting isn't it?

:homer:

Just hook up a button on the dash for the glow plugs. I have a few machines that I did that too. Hold it for 10 sec then crank and they fire right up.

$7500. Sprockets look good . Tracks are maybe 20% some new hoses, most rams seep but dont look to need immediate attention, motor looks to be mostly free of leaks. The pins are all wore TF out. Seems to run really smooth with no smoke or blow by....

20200716_201120.jpg

That item in the pic is a bridge rectifier.

Or at least looks like one.

It most likely connects to an AC source and if hooked up correctly turns it to DC.

Like in a power supply.

Not at all a resistor, google bridge rectifier.

Last edited:

It most likely connects to an AC source and if hooked up correctly turns it to DC.

@PAE

Yes it does say AC on it. What would be ac on this thing? Possibly a block heater? Or could the altenator be ac?

i always had to give my diesel just a small squirt of starting fluid (either) when it got cooler than 60 degrees out.

You beat me to it! Might be used for isolation to prevent back-feeding. Just guessing without a wiring diagram...
OP Is there more than one of those "bridge rectifiers"??? Most alternators are 3 phase and usually have the rectifier built in. YMMV:smokin:

Top Back Refresh