What's new

22R Oil Pressure

85 Yota

Member Number
I’ve got an 85 22R that I’m worried about. I have swapped new oil pressure sending unit and still have same issue. I have a digital gauge as well. Upon cold start I will have good oil pressure. The gauge reads fine. At some point, whether it be anywhere between 2-5 mins the gauge will go to zero. I can turn truck off and back on and pressure will be back. Then at a random time gauge goes back to 0. Is it possible for the oil pump to stop pumping or does it sound more like a sending unit issue still.

You sure you have enough oil in it? Also, if the chain guides have come apart they can clop the pickup.

I'd check sending unit first but sounds like a bearing issue to me

Yes. Topped off on oil.
I’ll try a new sending unit and see.

The engine needs rebuilt soon, just trying to limp it a bit longer without destroying it.

Idle is only 2 to 4 psi at idle. Factory. Stick a knownngood mechanical gauge.
I jave seen it when someone does a timingnset and does not tighten the 2 bolts holding the timing chain adjust to the block. Engine will run, you can even run the rubcion, well the best q stock truck can, and drive back. With 0 oil pressure.
If this is done, you will need a new head, new engine kit with pistons, a new crank, but the block will be fine.

No, I did not do this, but I picked up a cherry (almost cause engine) 85 extra cab 4x4 with efi 5 speed, and full power sr5 package for dirt cheap..

You should be able to rotate the engine with the VC off and see oil coming out of the rocker arm shafts. It there is, you will have pressure.

The pressure spring in the oil pump may also be weak.

Idle is only 2 to 4 psi at idle. .

WOW that seems very low! I have a simular issue. when warm near as I can tell to zero on mechanical gage. But it comes up quick right off idle. I thought motor was tired (180K) but sounds like thats normal for a 22RE?

If a tree falls in the wilderness, and no one is present the internet will have heard it and make a report.

Moral of ramble is
Don't believe all printed statt's

Yes. Topped off on oil.

What I was getting at was are you sure it has the right dipstick in it? Have you changed the oil yet to make sure it takes 4.5Q to hit the full mark? If somebody was playing fast and loose with the oil pans, it may not be reading right.

WOW that seems very low! I have a simular issue. when warm near as I can tell to zero on mechanical gage. But it comes up quick right off idle. I thought motor was tired (180K) but sounds like thats normal for a 22RE?

Yes. Normal. No lifters to pump up. Only thing that engine has to do is pump oil to the top of the engine, keep pressure on tensioner for chain, and keep oil pressure for the lower rotating assembly. If you want a little more oil pressure, I don't know if it changes at idle, but a oil pump for a turbo 22ret engine pumps more pressure.

Top Back Refresh