What's new

Well, I has the stupid.

RimX action on the way.

Have been bird dogging a lefty Bergara B-14r carbon or steel with zero luck. Was going to start hunting a Tikka when I found the RimX used, with 3 mags for a great price.

Trying to be fiscally responsible. Gonna strip the chassis/ optics off another rifle for now. My math says used RimX + 3 mags, and a quality pre-fit is only a bit more than a B-14r. I'm actually saving money, since I would probably have upgraded the Bergara before I dumped it for a RimX/ Voodoo anyway. :laughing:

All I need is a barrel, and I'm shooting. Have some quality .22 around and more on the way. (Whidden Gunworks)

EDIT: Budget prefit options?
EDIT part II: Found a Proof steel comp contour 20" prefit from Front Range Precision, already have tracking. Was on sale too.

Last edited:
Everything came in Thurs. No luck finding a internal action wrench, so I gave it meh ftlbs with my exterior wrench and managed a bit of range time yesterday in between storms. Only could shoot to 45yds. Was having extraction issues, every few rounds it would kick a case in the wrong direction and it would lay perfectly on the bolt rail. I chalked it up to either operator error, or maybe I need to tune the mags seating depth a bit (it's adjustable).

Hit my first PRS style match today. Wind was tough, constant direction, but gusty 15-30 mph crossing. My extractor fell out on the second stage. Thank god I noticed it. Still lost a spring and maybe a detent. It was obviously loose, and possible causing the issues with extraction.

Ran the rest of the match, still about the same number of malfunctions without the extractor, maybe 1-15 rounds I'd have an issue. Cost me time on most of the stages. Also having no dope made things difficult. I wagged it and missed a ton of stuff I'll hit next go. Also picked up +5 mag extensions from a guy making them. Huge! All stages were 10-12, so I wasted a lot of time reloading, especially since I lost a round each time I had a malfunction and had to drop the mag to clear it. So I had reloads on stages I didn't need to.

When I did figure out holdover and wind dope on a stage I did well. The only thing that saved me is they factored wind in the difficulty and most of the targets were under 100yds. Farthest was 250.

I managed to make a hit that was pretty amazing on a hostage KYL rack. .25" target and I nailed it. Sadly I shot it out of order, it was hit to progress, and I blanked and skipped a target.

Winner had a 100, I think 2nd, 3rd, were high 90s. I had 39. :laughing:

Everything from full custom Voodoos/ RimX, built 10/22's, Bergara, Savages, Rugers, and I saw at least one that was a Anie, or Fab? Just got a quick look.

I had fun, and my son shot a couple stages and enjoyed it. Gonna probably build out my 455 for him. It was gonna be his eventually any way. Impressed with the Bushnell NRL optic, will grab one and maybe a budget chassis and be done. I have to go back and tune the trigger again. I went a bit too far. It's dreamy, but a hard hit to the butt will fire it.

I did ok on reading and gaming stages(from my USPSA/ 3gun days). Did ok on building solid positions. Only thing I hadn't faced before was the tank trap thing. Not huge, but I can definitely be better. I got away with a lot because it's .22.

Gotta month to figure it all out before the next match.

Is that a bolt gun?
Is your Google broken? :flipoff2:

This is the cheap option (barreled actions are available, I paid $650 for one).

The more refined options....

I have my Bergara in a krg chassis. I put a mag in before I torqued all the plastics on and it feeds flawless. Others have reported problems, but they are the same people that refuse to adjust anything. Vudoo mags work in the bergara so long as you are handy with a round file to knock a little plastic out for the bolt to run.

Everyone I know with a 22 trainer in a chassis has had to screw with mags or catches. Most chassis have an extra long "file to fit" mag release as an option. The rim-x mags are cool because they have the adjustment built into the mags, but they're also $125 each.

As a follow up the tacsol receiver/bolt took 3 rounds with the new Kidd barrel and volquartsen extractor, jammed and beat up a brand new barrel.

So it wasn’t out of alignment. There is so much slop in that tacsol it’s missing the barrel groove high and low.

It’s at tacsol now. When it comes back I might sell the barreled action with out shooting it and order the Kidd receiver/bolt toss new barrel in and so I’ll be 100% Kidd in the KRG chassis.

I was grabbing some more stuff from my Best friends parents house, and his dad had bought a Kidd 10-22 trigger group, so now I feel like I gotta build one.

I might ask 419 to build me a tikka. They seem to hang with voodoo just fine.

Extraction issues were user induced. I did not install the ejector.:homer: Runs like a top now, and mags all are dialed.

Switched my throw lever around as it ran into the bolt at max magnification, clear now.

Made sure everything was tight all around. All I need is a dope, and I'll have to find a whole new set of excuses next match.

Top Back Refresh