What's new

.22 LR AR?

Gatorgrizz27

Member Number
I have an extra AR15 stripped upper laying around, so we know how that goes. It’s a PSA one so I’m planning on building a “fun gun” rather than a “serious gun.”

It looks like the CMMG .22 conversion kit is a good way to go for this, which fits in a standard 5.56 barrel. I also like the idea thst I could shoot 5.56 in it if desired.

I have a Dead Air Sandman - S as well as a good supply of 55 gr ammo, so I’d like to find a short (7.5”?) 5.56 barrel with a 1:12“ twist, but haven’t had much luck. From the reading I’ve done it looks like .22 LR out of a 1:7 or 1:8 twist isn’t very accurate.

Can anybody confirm this or is it not a big deal? I’m fine with 2” groups at 50 yards but if it’s much worse than that it takes away from the fun of shooting cans, etc.

I’m not super interested in a dedicated .22 LR upper, for the price you’re not that far away from something like the HK 416 pistol.

Have a CZ scorpion also so I’m not considering a 9mm AR either.

Search you god damned newb. :flipoff2:A CMMG bolt and 4.5 inch barrel is $240. Their 9 inch barrel is $115.

Heres where I got my shit for .22lr.

Last edited:
Last time I saw a 1:12 twist barrel was on my vintage SP1. I have built several uppers and have yet to see one for sale anywhere, slowest I seen is 1:9. No reason you couldn't order up a custom barrel, though :flipoff2:. With that said, I'm confident that I could build a dedicated decent upper just as cheap that doesn't use a conversion kit. Although I have no personal experience with a conversion kit, using one certainly WON'T make the rifle MORE accurate...

Last time I saw a 1:12 twist barrel was on my vintage SP1. I have built several uppers and have yet to see one for sale anywhere, slowest I seen is 1:9. No reason you couldn't order up a custom barrel, though :flipoff2:. With that said, I'm confident that I could build a dedicated decent upper just as cheap that doesn't use a conversion kit. Although I have no personal experience with a conversion kit, using one certainly WON'T make the rifle MORE accurate...
Correct. 1:12 twist will be custom made. You might as well buy the dedicated bolt and barrel. Gotta pimp my blaster:flipoff2:
78C7F7CF-3559-43DA-9A94-138561A35168.jpeg

I get that you guys are talking all kinds of custom stuff here with parts you may already have but for plinking at the range how would a M&P 15-22 compare to a basic 22 cal AR?

If you want a 22 long rifle AR 15 build a dedicated one.
If you just want a drop in kit why build a rifle upper to be concerned with 22LR performance? A dedicated upper will outperform a drop in bolt, and a drop in bolt will be good enough for what you want.

1:16 dedicated barrel, off the shelf.

Various lengths and complete uppers there as well. I've got their stuff on myv22lr pistol and like it

I get that you guys are talking all kinds of custom stuff here with parts you may already have but for plinking at the range how would a M&P 15-22 compare to a basic 22 cal AR?
The M&P may perform better than a basic .22lr AR. But if you should decide you want to do another chambering later, say a 9mm PCC, you're hosed. Can't do anything else with the M&P, might as well buy a 10/22 (or any .22lr rifle).

Thanks for the replies so far. I’m not really interested in complete .22LR guns, I looked at the HK416 but I don’t like the proprietary parts for future proofing, and at some point I’ll file my SBR paperwork they “disapproved” again.

I’m not looking for pinpoint accuracy, I have a Tikka T1X for that, but I didn’t know if the conversion kits were shooting stuff like 4” groups at 25 yards, which means you miss cans, small steel targets, etc. I’d heard the faster twist barrels were the reason for that, but 2-3” groups at 50 yards would be fine.

Cost wise it looks like it’s a wash between the .22 barrel and bolt vs the conversion kit and a cheap 5.56 barrel, plus they are all out of stock. I have other AR’s it might be fun to switch the kit into for training also, they just aren‘t set up for kids to use.

I have to admit I’m intrigued by firing 5.56 out of a 7.5” barrel for range fun also.

Will likely just order the conversion kit and build an upper for it soon.

I've had them all and sold all my conversions. I have a few M&P 15-22's, way mo betta imop but everyones needs/wants are different. I'm not a fan of swapping uppers, it gets old fast, just like moving suppressors

Be sure to add a brake onto it, that way EVERYONE at the range can get pissed off...:flipoff2:
Without any real reference, both myself and my wife were impressed with the forward brake on my 6.5 grendel. Noticeable difference from expectations, based on 5.56 use, at the shooter for sound.

Edit: linear is the word I'm looking for

Be sure to add a brake onto it, that way EVERYONE at the range can get pissed off...:flipoff2:
Without any real reference, both myself and my wife were impressed with the forward brake on my 6.5 grendel. Noticeable difference from expectations, based on 5.56 use, at the shooter for sound.

Edit: linear is the word I'm looking for

I was a little disappointed in the lack of earthquake level blast force on my 11.5” 5.56 with a single port brake.

Linear compensators work, but also increase recoil. Suppressors do both.

I have to admit I’m intrigued by firing 5.56 out of a 7.5” barrel for range fun also.
Have one, can confirm that it’s a blast at the range. Big fireball. Especially with the cheap shit I run through it. :lmao:

I’ve had my fun with it though, currently looking into getting a can for it or going with a longer barrel + better muzzle device.

One daughter has a dedicated .22 upper with 1:16 twist sweet and accurate. The other daughter has the M&P 15-22 she loves it and its seems to be just as accurate, she built herself another gun when she was wanted a "big girl" gun. As of now she has put together a .223 and a 300blk she got tired of switching upper as said before. Damn kid is trying to have more guns than me LOL, I think she is on her seventh or eighth shotgun. I have shot a conversion in my .223 it was ok for plinking. Won't buy another one though.

Have one, can confirm that it’s a blast at the range. Big fireball. Especially with the cheap shit I run through it. :lmao:

I’ve had my fun with it though, currently looking into getting a can for it or going with a longer barrel + better muzzle device.

I have a Dead Air Sandman S that I can’t properly abuse in the way it was designed for with my 11.5” gun.

Well for anyone interested, I ordered the conversion kit yesterday. Still hunting for the cheapest 7.5” 5.56 barrel I can find if anybody wants to part with one.

Well for anyone interested, I ordered the conversion kit yesterday. Still hunting for the cheapest 7.5” 5.56 barrel I can find if anybody wants to part with one.
If you end up going new you're probably not gonna get any cheaper than these

I have a Clint Beyer barrel on a dedicated AR22. It's a tack driver. Lately I've been wanting to build a 7.5" .223 for the reasons above and have considered getting a CMMG conversion just for fun. I do not need or really want another dedicated 22.

I did a huge ammo test with my 18" M&P 15/22 Perf Center rifle. There's a huge difference in ammo for that rifle. The Wolf Extra Match (by Eley IIRC) shot best, but it was the most expensive. Standard vel CCI shot damn near as good for much cheaper.

Found a cheap 7.5” 5.56 barrel from Ballistic Advantage. Have everything I need to get the upper built besides a gas tube, just been busy and lacking motivation.

One thing I read said some don’t recommend suppressing the conversions due to twist rate. That would be a huge bummer as it was primarily why I wanted one. Anybody have feedback on that?

Yeah, CCI standard velocity is good stuff. My Tikka shoots one ragged hole with it.

Found a cheap 7.5” 5.56 barrel from Ballistic Advantage. Have everything I need to get the upper built besides a gas tube, just been busy and lacking motivation.

One thing I read said some don’t recommend suppressing the conversions due to twist rate. That would be a huge bummer as it was primarily why I wanted one. Anybody have feedback on that?

Yeah, CCI standard velocity is good stuff. My Tikka shoots one ragged hole with it.
You should have just bought a dedicated .22 barrel you cheap bastard.

I would suggest just getting a M&P .22 for $400. Yeah its plastic, but will function great, be accurate, and all around easier to deal with.

Fill a grip with lead shot if you think its too lightweight.

Top Back Refresh