What's new

2023 Ultra4 Schedule

SurfnSnow

Member Number
Loc
Oakland, CA
hey the schedule for 2023 Ultra4 has been released. Looks like they've moved the finals to AZ but the rest are in the mid-west. I'll probably only able to make it to the AZ one
schedule.jpg

Not a huge fan of the new schedule despite some new race courses (PA & AZ). Lost the Tennessee race that was 1.5 hours away and the racers really enjoyed (minus the heat) but kept the Rush, KY race that the racers and U4 staff hate going to.

yeah, I agree, not to thrilled with it either. Guess I try to go to something more local like the NorCal or Vorra races
For the west racers, I see NorCal getting way more entries next year since only three races (KOH, Montana, and Arizona) are "West races"

I won't go to Rush, KY since it is always a cluster so may have to go 10 hours west from here to check out a race at MidAmerica next year.

Last edited:
yeah, I agree, not to thrilled with it either. Guess I try to go to something more local like the NorCal or Vorra races

Have you seen a good NorCal schedule? I like to camp up top out of the way and enjoy the day, always several friends there racing.

What have the issues been at Rush? I am looking to get back into for 2023.

Have you seen a good NorCal schedule? I like to camp up top out of the way and enjoy the day, always several friends there racing.
The NorCal series is always fun to check out, though kind of glad that there's not any races up there in July and August because it gets stupid hot at that time of the year. I'll be going to all of those for sure

What have the issues been at Rush? I am looking to get back into for 2023.
They race during the Anniversary Bash/Birthday weekend so there’s a massive rock bouncer event going on at the same time as the Ultra4 race. Park isn’t big enough or flat enough for that many folks to attend the same weekend so they cram everyone into the park in every available inch of parking with very limited reserved parking. You end up with racers setup in spots they’d never want to park semis/motorhome etc and tear up their equipment just to park for the weekend. The you have the access roads running right through their pit/camp area.

Locals/bouncer fans don’t seem to care that there is a race going on that weekend. It’s like Kentuckys version of racing in Mexico (ie a free for all). So they’ll ride the race course leaving abandoned/broken vehicles on course or tear the marking tape down over night to trail ride. Last race a group of SxS drove through marking tape and was driving backwards on race course during the EMC races etc.

Racers and even Ultra4 staff hate going there due to the cluster of all things involved with that place.

It also seems to pour rain the day before or day of the race so it’s an insanely muddy, tight woods race of pure luck due to the entire race being a mud bog.

While weather could be an issue when they raced at Dirty Turtle, parking issues or people being on the race course, was not an issue there.

Last edited:
They race during the Anniversary Bash/Birthday weekend so there’s a massive rock bouncer event going on at the same time as the Ultra4 race. Park isn’t big enough or flat enough for that many folks to attend the same weekend so they cram everyone into the park in every available inch of parking with very limited reserved parking. You end up with racers setup in spots they’d never want to park semis/motorhome etc and tear up their equipment just to park for the weekend. The you have the access roads running right through their pit/camp area.

Locals/bouncer fans don’t seem to care that there is a race going on that weekend. It’s like Kentuckys version of racing in Mexico (ie a free for all). So they’ll ride the race course leaving abandoned/broken vehicles on course or tear the marking tape down over night to trail ride. Last race a group of SxS drove through marking tape and was driving backwards on race course during the EMC races etc.

Racers and even Ultra4 staff hate going there due to the cluster of all things involved with that place.

It also seems to pour rain the day before or day of the race so it’s an insanely muddy, tight woods race of pure luck due to the entire race being a mud bog.

While weather could be an issue when they raced at Dirty Turtle, parking issues or people being on the race course, was not an issue there.
I think Ultra4 racing is dying on the east coast... rock bouncing seems more popular. Some even do not know what it is,, they want the Whoopow show!

I think Ultra4 racing is dying on the east coast... rock bouncing seems more popular. Some even do not know what it is,, they want the Whoopow show!
Racer turnout has remained about the same year to year at parks like the one they would go to in Tennessee or Dirty Turtle.

Ultra4 has never figured out how to market/advertise regional races or setup spectator areas.

Here in the southeast, bouncer events are 10x more popular because they keep the spectator in mind when picking hill climbs. Park the vehicle, short walk to a place to see 80% of the hill climb, and have food vendors etc right there with them.

Racer turnout has remained about the same year to year at parks like the one they would go to in Tennessee or Dirty Turtle.

Ultra4 has never figured out how to market/advertise regional races or setup spectator areas.

Here in the southeast, bouncer events are 10x more popular because they keep the spectator in mind when picking hill climbs. Park the vehicle, short walk to a place to see 80% of the hill climb, and have food vendors etc right there with them.
I think you're onto something there. It's tough to setup spectator areas unless it's a short-course type of event. Also, trying to be a spectator out at past events like Ridgecrest during September is just plain miserable. 95A Speedway in Fernley could be a good place to have a short course race that's akin to Prairie City

I think you're onto something there. It's tough to setup spectator areas unless it's a short-course type of event. Also, trying to be a spectator out at past events like Ridgecrest during September is just plain miserable. 95A Speedway in Fernley could be a good place to have a short course race that's akin to Prairie City
That it is for spectator areas at non-short courses. Our local park had 4 years of Ultra4 races and never figured out a spot for spectators that didn’t require hiking into a spot and staying there for the entire day or riding into the woods and seeing the cars pass by for 5 seconds.

The final year they made spectator areas even worse by totally blocking off the Starting line from spectators and making it hard to see the big screen that they had setup.

Agreed on timing of races and temperatures. Three of the four years the races were in June and July in middle Tennessee. So hot and humid as balls fit spectators and I cannot imagine how miserable it was inside the race cars.

Let's face it, if it wasn't for KOH U4 as a whole would be a flop. As a spectator sport it sucks, and watching U4 cars lumber around a short course is nowhere near as exciting as watching Pro 2's and Pro 4's race the same tracks.

Dave was smart ditching the series side of it while it was still profitable and worth something to sombody. I see that side of U4 jumping the shark in the not so distant future.

Let's face it, if it wasn't for KOH U4 as a whole would be a flop. As a spectator sport it sucks, and watching U4 cars lumber around a short course is nowhere near as exciting as watching Pro 2's and Pro 4's race the same tracks.

Dave was smart ditching the series side of it while it was still profitable and worth something to sombody. I see that side of U4 jumping the shark in the not so distant future.
Very true all around there.

Yeah, for KOH that's part of the appeal for me in that you have this huge space where you can bomb around from point to point to watch the race. Plus they've added screens to the other major areas like Chocolate Thunder and Backdoor which is pretty cool

the disney race is not the off road park but a little bit aways correct? i thought i saw a park on the way to the off road park by the spill way

This.

Top Back Refresh