What's new

2022 Ram 3500 drw, HO Diesel....What to expect?

Buddy of mine did this.

Then when his fuel injector / fuel pump had warranty issues the claim was denied. Cost him like 8k to fix.

And it wasn't the fault of the tank.

New 2022s and newer have an OEM factory option for a larger tank

Well fuck. I went down the list of options with the sales manager on his computer and a larger tank never came up.

I guess swamping back to the stock tank to bring it in the the dealer for a major issue isn't the end of the world. It would suck though.

I thought
Well fuck. I went down the list of options with the sales manager on his computer and a larger tank never came up.

I guess swamping back to the stock tank to bring it in the the dealer for a major issue isn't the end of the world. It would suck though.
Why not just do an aux tank in the bed and run the feed line to the vent to the stock tank alot of hot shot truck do this.

Crew Cab Long Bed only.

Ok, that make sense. I got the Mega cab with the 6'4" box. The Titan and S&B tanks do fit the Mega cab short box.

I thought

Why not just do an aux tank in the bed and run the feed line to the vent to the stock tank alot of hot shot truck do this.

My thought was to do both the 50gal replacement and a 50gal in the bed.

A buddy of mine has a 2019 3500 Ram dually that is a work truck for his concrete business. It just turned over 40k miles and he had to put front brakes on it. None of the parts stores said they could get pads for it, so pads and rotors from the dealer were just shy of $900.

A buddy of mine has a 2019 3500 Ram dually that is a work truck for his concrete business. It just turned over 40k miles and he had to put front brakes on it. None of the parts stores said they could get pads for it, so pads and rotors from the dealer were just shy of $900.

Wear parts like that make the jump to a 4500 worth it. Got an F450 that tows 20k for work. 100,000miles on it, original tires (regrooved at 80k) and a set of brake pads (also at 80k). Regrooved, the tires have about 3/8" tread and will probably make it another 40k+. Pads were $160 for all 4 corners and the groover was $50.

Ok, that make sense. I got the Mega cab with the 6'4" box. The Titan and S&B tanks do fit the Mega cab short box.

My thought was to do both the 50gal replacement and a 50gal in the bed.
From awhile ago I remembered people where buying the mid ship tank from the cab and chassis trucks and adding them to there truck. I don't know if there still able to do it and not affect the warranty but that's another way to add a tank that's factory.

On rock auto they have pads and rotors for that truck in stock.

From awhile ago I remembered people where buying the mid ship tank from the cab and chassis trucks and adding them to there truck. I don't know if there still able to do it and not affect the warranty but that's another way to add a tank that's factory.

That's a great idea. I'll check into it. Thank you.

I have a 16 3500 HO with the Aisin, 4.10's, and air suspension. Knock on wood, I haven't had a single issue other than having to replace the 5.5 year old batteries recently. Factory tires that came on mine (Nexen) were absolute crap. 4 out of the 6 separated on me in less than 30k miles. Currently have a set of BFG AT's on it with approximately 5k miles. My experience basically mirrors what Tree Climber said. 15-16ish mpg empty. 12 mpg with my 4k lb truck camper in bed. 9-10ish with truck camper, 18' car trailer, jeep, and spare parts on board. Tank of DEF usually lasts me an entire year unless we tow cross country and that usually uses a full tank.

I had a 14 3500 SRW 3500 short bed prior to this one and it rode like an absolute hat full of assholes. Soda would go flat in 30 min of interstate driving in the cup holder. That was the main reason behind air suspension and long wheel base. It still rides like a 3500, but much better than the short wheel base.

Only real gripe other than the factory tires are the rims. I optioned mine with the polished 17" aluminum wheels. I went to rotate my tires at 5k miles and only one side of the wheels are finished/polished. At 20k miles I took to a tire shop and had them swap tires on rims to rotate. Maybe all manufacturers do this? I dunno. My old dually had steel wheels with plastic wheel covers so it didn't matter.

I have a 16 3500 HO with the Aisin, 4.10's, and air suspension. Knock on wood, I haven't had a single issue other than having to replace the 5.5 year old batteries recently. Factory tires that came on mine (Nexen) were absolute crap. 4 out of the 6 separated on me in less than 30k miles. Currently have a set of BFG AT's on it with approximately 5k miles. My experience basically mirrors what Tree Climber said. 15-16ish mpg empty. 12 mpg with my 4k lb truck camper in bed. 9-10ish with truck camper, 18' car trailer, jeep, and spare parts on board. Tank of DEF usually lasts me an entire year unless we tow cross country and that usually uses a full tank.

I had a 14 3500 SRW 3500 short bed prior to this one and it rode like an absolute hat full of assholes. Soda would go flat in 30 min of interstate driving in the cup holder. That was the main reason behind air suspension and long wheel base. It still rides like a 3500, but much better than the short wheel base.

Only real gripe other than the factory tires are the rims. I optioned mine with the polished 17" aluminum wheels. I went to rotate my tires at 5k miles and only one side of the wheels are finished/polished. At 20k miles I took to a tire shop and had them swap tires on rims to rotate. Maybe all manufacturers do this? I dunno. My old dually had steel wheels with plastic wheel covers so it didn't matter.

I do wish Ford would get on the air suspension bandwagon, that must be really nice vs leafs.

And I think that is the norm for aluminum wheels, only finished on one side, not flipable = stupid.

Are you're rear inners aluminum? Ford uses steel :laughing:

I do wish Ford would get on the air suspension bandwagon, that must be really nice vs leafs.

And I think that is the norm for aluminum wheels, only finished on one side, not flipable = stupid.
I'm a fan. Better ride, self levelling, etc. Only complain with it is it has an "alternate ride height" feature that drops the rear a couple inches. It only works if there is sufficient enough load in the bed. You can't use it empty. I usually use it when i unhook my gooseneck (or dumping the shitter on the camper) but I can't back up to the goose, drop the suspension, and then raise it.

Love my 18 mega cab dually, asian, 4.10 power all day long, fast, 14-15mpg combined but I live in the mountains, 22 highway. Its my daily driver and I throw an 60 gallon tank in it for long trips. The wheels on the 19+ trucks are an 8x8 bolt pattern. I had a 2011 3500 single rear wheel and the truck is night and day different in power and towing.

4.10 with the double overdrive is pretty bad ass for towing.

Ford 6.7 isn't getting 22 highway unless it's downhill with the wind at its back.

Ford 6.7 isn't getting 22 highway unless it's downhill with the wind at its back.
Best mine has ever seen is 17 and that is because I was following my dad in a 1957 Willys Wagon doing 45 mph. My usual driving style is "rubbin is racing!"

I've been saying that for a while. When you have a 20k or whatever ridiculous payload capacity, the leafs are rough. Even my loaded 18 F250 was rough.

same. My inners are steel. I believe "well you cheap sonsabitches" came out of my mouth when i took the outers off.

No shit, "sorry, aluminum inner wheels just weren't in the budget on your $100k truck" :laughing:

No 1 ton dually is getting 22.

I've got 34k on my 2020 RAM Mega Cab 3500 SRW and will also backup what has been said about the funky shifts from the Aisin when not under load. Never had any issues towing with want for more power or any issues with peformance.

The automatic exhaust brake and gear limit is amazing in any mountain towing situations.

Plan on fuel filter changes (both of them) with every oil change - and oil changes vary based on fuel consumption and not so much mileage it appears given the % tracking of the truck. Go ahead and order the filter tool and the low profile filter cap socket before your first oil change. Its not fooling around with the low DEF warning system, it WILL set you to 5 mph so I have kept mine at 1/8th min tank.

If you get the dealer option B&W gooseneck hitch, and hopefully they have fixed it because there was a recall about it... MAKE SURE the lever is all the way seated for the pin. Theres a point on the pin and if the ball isn't seated in the receiver, the tip of the pin will go in and the spring will draw the lever in but not quite as far as it should because its not a 1:1 linkage. The trailer can yank the tip of the pin off and thats just a mess.

Also, I hope yours got the cargo monitoring because it would be great for hooking up a gooseneck one shot by yourself - I tried to add it to mine after the fact and the harness isn't even in there and its not worth ripping the headliner out to add it.

As for the comments on the twin airmattress, you can fit one in there if its inflated while its in the cab. Its deformed some and if you're 6' you can sleep at an angle like mentioned. I used to do it in my OG '06 mega all the time.

20210912_174119.jpg

I've got 34k on my 2020 RAM Mega Cab 3500 SRW and will also backup what has been said about the funky shifts from the Aisin when not under load. Never had any issues towing with want for more power or any issues with peformance.

The automatic exhaust brake and gear limit is amazing in any mountain towing situations.

Plan on fuel filter changes (both of them) with every oil change - and oil changes vary based on fuel consumption and not so much mileage it appears given the % tracking of the truck. Go ahead and order the filter tool and the low profile filter cap socket before your first oil change. Its not fooling around with the low DEF warning system, it WILL set you to 5 mph so I have kept mine at 1/8th min tank.

If you get the dealer option B&W gooseneck hitch, and hopefully they have fixed it because there was a recall about it... MAKE SURE the lever is all the way seated for the pin. Theres a point on the pin and if the ball isn't seated in the receiver, the tip of the pin will go in and the spring will draw the lever in but not quite as far as it should because its not a 1:1 linkage. The trailer can yank the tip of the pin off and thats just a mess.

Also, I hope yours got the cargo monitoring because it would be great for hooking up a gooseneck one shot by yourself - I tried to add it to mine after the fact and the harness isn't even in there and its not worth ripping the headliner out to add it.

As for the comments on the twin airmattress, you can fit one in there if its inflated while its in the cab. Its deformed some and if you're 6' you can sleep at an angle like mentioned. I used to do it in my OG '06 mega all the time.

20210912_174119.jpg
Yeah mine goes through fuel filters about every 10-15k miles. I change my oil every 5. I know its overkill but that's just the way i am.

My Aisin does "flare" or "rev" up sometimes when it shifts under no load. Never really had anything to compare it to as all my other tow pigs have been manuals.

I got the cargo camera in mine instead of the automatic high beams and wipers option (why you can't get both I don't understand) and I can tell you with a tool box in your truck it is completely useless. I thought man this is going to be great! Nope. Just looks at the tool box lid.

My experience with the shifting was loaded. You'd be in the sweet spot up a hill and it would just up shift :homer:

Do these trans "learn" the driver like many of the other newer trucks? If that's the case, I can see why it could be fucked up as the truck I drove was a company whore, with different people in it all the time.

Top Back Refresh