What's new

2022/2023/2024/NOW 2025 KoH; Attending for nOOBs: How/What/Where/Why

I just pulled the plug on our easter jeep safari trip. Was gonna be around $2k in fuel there and back and 1 or 2 tanks through the jeep for 4-ish days of wheeling. Gonna buy my kid a new bike instead.
I live 850 miles from Johnson Valley.
I calculate, at current gas price, the trip will cost me about $950 roundtrip.

That represents two months of discretionary funds.:eek:

dust cloud.jpg

This was Friday morning from Chocolate Thunder looking back to hammertown. Just a little dusty

I live 850 miles from Johnson Valley.
I calculate, at current gas price, the trip will cost me about $950 roundtrip.

That represents two months of discretionary funds.:eek:
Ouch, yeah. For me it's worth it, but I'm also maximizing my fun by getting to go wheeling every day of the event as a volunteer.

So far car camping has worked out for me. A couple of items that I'll get over the year, like a power station but other than that I'll be good. As for gas, I'll gas up in Lucerne and with a full tank, that'll last me all week.

Shit, KOH costs me at minimum 5k, and usually closer to 10k. That’s two rigs/trailers with fuel, plus all the fuel we need out there, food, booze, water/sewer dump, entry fees, etc. I’m definitely hoping fuel prices go way back down before KOH next year lol

Does/did the wind and dust get so bad as to need goggles and mask?
100% on a gaiter personally every year for dust, plus sun coverage. Goggles 100% if in a open rig, and even somewhat just for spectating some days.

Didn’t go this year, but coverage showed way way way more dust than I’ve ever seen. 2020, I could see the dust cloud from the other side of 29 Palms when we drove over on Thursday.

100% on a gaiter personally every year for dust, plus sun coverage. Goggles 100% if in a open rig, and even somewhat just for spectating some days.

Didn’t go this year, but coverage showed way way way more dust than I’ve ever seen. 2020, I could see the dust cloud from the other side of 29 Palms when we drove over on Thursday.
X2 on what he said! Gaiter is a good thing to have, there's always one vendor handing them out every year. Also keep a couple extra and with some rubber bands and use them to wrap up my cameras when I'm out and about to protect them against the dust.
Goggles for an open rig but if the wind kicks up, having some wouldn't hurt either.
For almost the entire week, the dust was really bad and seems to be getting worse each time.

It was so bad one afternoon I got completely lost heading back to Hammertown from Tack Hammer and didn't realize it until I popped out of the dust by the entry arch :laughing:

Here's my dust picture from the garages inside Hammertown and that wasn't even the worst of it. There were several times throughout the week you couldn't see the qualifying hill in the background at all through the dust :eek:
81CF525C-DCCA-4EDB-B507-3CEC4901FF49.jpeg
Just reading this thread for the first time. I walked by your setup multiple times, I was camped right down the street from you. :beer:

In 19 it rained quite a bit and the dust was never an issue. Talk about some slippery ass shit though. I did like a 1440 at 75-80 mph during the UTV race through a muddy section back by Cougar Buttes. That was pretty scary lol. We had to look at the GPS to make sure we were going the right way after spinning around so much

In 19 it rained quite a bit and the dust was never an issue. Talk about some slippery ass shit though. I did like a 1440 at 75-80 mph during the UTV race through a muddy section back by Cougar Buttes. That was pretty scary lol. We had to look at the GPS to make sure we were going the right way after spinning around so much
Ah; now we got rain.🤔

Rain gear to pack for sure.:beer:

Who is the contact to rent a tent and RV in Hammertown? We have a bunch of 4500 class cars headed down to race.

Shit, KOH costs me at minimum 5k, and usually closer to 10k. That’s two rigs/trailers with fuel, plus all the fuel we need out there, food, booze, water/sewer dump, entry fees, etc. I’m definitely hoping fuel prices go way back down before KOH next year lol

Ha!

Friend and I were thinking about going again... till we figured fuel alone would cost us nearly $3000.

Here's the link to the early bird tickets:
KOH 2023 – Limited Early Bird General Admission Ticket – King of the Hammers

Also, if you're using a camper or RV, you'll need to get a camping pass, it's 1 per vehicle:
KOH 2023 – Camping Pass – King of the Hammers

Finally, for all of the media folks, here's the link to be added to the email list to get details on when media registration is open:
Media – King of the Hammers
If anyone has any questions about the media application process or whatever, feel free to DM me.

Also, if you're using a camper or RV, you'll need to get a camping pass, it's 1 per vehicle:

Finally, for all of the media folks, here's the link to be added to the email list to get details on when media registration is open:
If anyone has any questions about the media application process or whatever, feel free to DM me.

Ah; good to know.:beer:

If planning/hoping to touch (work on) cars in the hot pits during races, need a USAC Crew License. Same cost as standard ticket currently and includes entrance. Not available on the lakebed.

Top Back Refresh