What's new

2022/2023/2024/NOW 2025 KoH; Attending for nOOBs: How/What/Where/Why

I might just be walking around once I get out there... I got nothing.:lmao::lmao::lmao:
The only thing that would keep me from going is not having a ride.... of my own. Hell of a lot of long walks walking to see anything other than hammer town and the start/finish.

There is your million dollar idea, SXS rental place right off Boone Rd. for the suckers that rent an RV and are then stuck to it.

Will let you guys know as we get closer to being on the lakebed, although now I know cell service out there is terribad and to have shit set up before getting out there.
Cell service has gotten better over the years but if you have a HAM radio, that would be another way to contact me.
Also, if you see a black 4 door JK mall crawler with a bunch of KOH stickers on the side, with an Irate4x4 & Ultra4 media flag flying, that'll be me.

Will let you guys know as we get closer to being on the lakebed, although now I know cell service out there is terribad and to have shit set up before getting out there.
Speaking of which, do we want to begin planning the offical Irate sausagefest camp yet? Doesn't even need to be one cohesive plan/marked off area I'd say, as long as someone picked a general area to congregate around, it'd be closer than what we had last year :flipoff2:. That also makes it easier for peeps to grab rides from other members.

We'll probably stay at the same spot as last year, near the stonehedge area with rocks and next to the dudes with the trikes/giant Christmas tree.

We could probably choose a ham radio frequency as well

Speaking of which, do we want to begin planning the offical Irate sausagefest camp yet? Doesn't even need to be one cohesive plan/marked off area I'd say, as long as someone picked a general area to congregate around, it'd be closer than what we had last year :flipoff2:. That also makes it easier for peeps to grab rides from other members.
Probably not a bad idea, because it's going to be January before I know it. As it's only my second time going I have almost no clue as to locations, I think I was in the heights or near there this year. I would be more than willing to group up, in fact I would prefer it. It might just be me in the camper, my nephew is going to Honduras the same weeks and my brother now has his two boys to take care of. Their mother was supposed to have them for the school year and then last minute dropped them in my brother's lap.

We'll probably stay at the same spot as last year, near the stonehedge area with rocks and next to the dudes with the trikes/giant Christmas tree.

We could probably choose a ham radio frequency as well
Irate ham freq sounds like a seriously very good idea. Finding one not already in use by 30 other randoms has been a challenge for my friends and I in the past. Although listening in on random conversations during exit day produced some of the funniest shit we heard this last year.
Last time I set up shop in Hammertown Heights and that's probably where I'd look to go again.
That's the sameish area SurfnSnow is talking about correct? If it's even sliightly out of the dust and SxS retardation that is the main lake bed directly south of hammertown I'm game. I am seriously over the high traffic dust storm camp spot.
As it's only my second time going I have almost no clue as to locations, I think I was in the heights or near there this year. I would be more than willing to group up, in fact I would prefer it.
Yep, same. I had ideas to camp way out in the boonies to avoid riff raff, but it sounds like you all weren't too unhappy with the heights. Being closer to hammertown is better anyway.

Irate ham freq sounds like a seriously very good idea. Finding one not already in use by 30 other randoms has been a challenge for my friends and I in the past. Although listening in on random conversations during exit day produced some of the funniest shit we heard this last year.

That's the sameish area SurfnSnow is talking about correct? If it's even sliightly out of the dust and SxS retardation that is the main lake bed directly south of hammertown I'm game. I am seriously over the high traffic dust storm camp spot.

Yep, same. I had ideas to camp way out in the boonies to avoid riff raff, but it sounds like you all weren't too unhappy with the heights. Being closer to hammertown is better anyway.
We ended up way north of Backdoor a few years ago. Was nice to be away from the hustle. Hard to have much level space or get much big rigs out there.

No idea which rig will be ready or when I’ll try to show up, but I’m in.

Pretty much. It was like a 2-5 min walk from Austin's camp and ours. It's close enough to Hammertown but far enough where we don't have people blasting through our camp.

Last edited:
So a question. As far as hauling rigs and campers to the camping areas. What’s the risk of getting stuck? What I’m wondering is I have two trucks one has Goodyear Dura tracks on it and the other one has a factory whatever the fuck highway tires on it and I can switch them back-and-forth so I was wondering do I need to make sure I have the duratracks on for traction or will factory highway tires Do just fine

So a question. As far as hauling rigs and campers to the camping areas. What’s the risk of getting stuck? What I’m wondering is I have two trucks one has Goodyear Dura tracks on it and the other one has a factory whatever the fuck highway tires on it and I can switch them back-and-forth so I was wondering do I need to make sure I have the duratracks on for traction or will factory highway tires Do just fine
Highway tires are fine. Boone rd is a graded/maintained gravel road. The worst you'll have to contend with on an average year is washboard and traffic. Even when you hop off of boone rd to go make camp, the terrain is basically sand and whoops, so swapping tire treads wouldn't make enough of a difference to matter IMO. YMMV

It's definitely possible to get stuck in the sand if you get off the roads/trails. But there's so many people around that somebody would help you get unstuck.

Evidentially the Internet is saying chocolate thunder is completely fkd up.

The Internet is correct.

Back door oiled down with gear oil.
7BF16705-8FDA-4B45-807D-2A9517E77E16.jpeg

What's completely fucked up mean? lol that's relative to chocolate thunder. This Feb was the worst I've seen it.
I personally see no way a ifs car will be able to crawl it. They will have to do a moon shot. Today is the worst I’ve seen it, there will be massive winching there. Sxs’s are going up it. That’ll be a sight to see. Dave said and I quote ‘people are going to be fucked up this year’

Well I just got schooled. This car drove ct 3 times yesterday. Up and down.

Attachments

• 68B65E79-6B0E-4B81-917B-AB8A41B7432D.jpeg
    68B65E79-6B0E-4B81-917B-AB8A41B7432D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 37D9E510-7D9E-4DA6-B3A2-6A1CF92C304E.jpeg
    37D9E510-7D9E-4DA6-B3A2-6A1CF92C304E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
From what I understand, spectators will be able to sit on the canyon walls for the Backdoor Challenge, though probably not for the main race. Forgot if they went up or down Backdoor last race.

correct for the challenge. I like that they are running classes different directions to keep the track in better shape. Qualifying backwards and desert trucks backwards compared to the main race

Top Back Refresh