What's new

2022/2023/2024/NOW 2025 KoH; Attending for nOOBs: How/What/Where/Why

After you get through the gate, go forward and turn left at the guy who's selling fire wood. Follow that fence and take the 45 degree turn when the fence ends. Look for the sign that says Hector Heights, volunteer overflow. Go through that sign and a little past that you'll see the WheelingWineand Whiskey sign on the side of a pop-up tent. You'll see Elvis's rig with the Irate4x4 flag. I'm parked a bit behind Elvis, so look for a black JK 4 Door with the Irate flag and a Ultra4 media flag.

not at all. got home earlier today and trying to figure out what did and what didn't work this time so I can plan better for next year :laughing:

one of my buddies is from San Diego as well and the thing he always mentions is how cold it is out in the desert at night. this year, there were some cold nights, within the low 20's. I slept in my jeep with a soft top and just had a 30 degree sleeping bag with a liner and I was good.
Though the longer I stay, I find that I need to take more stuff, food, gear, etc. and trying to figure out if I need a small trailer or something like that

one of my buddies is from San Diego as well and the thing he always mentions is how cold it is out in the desert at night. this year, there were some cold nights, within the low 20's. I slept in my jeep with a soft top and just had a 30 degree sleeping bag with a liner and I was good.
Though the longer I stay, I find that I need to take more stuff, food, gear, etc. and trying to figure out if I need a small trailer or something like that
It was effing cold this year. When we are out in recovery or even just wheeling for fun, I bring pretty much everything I need to stay out there all night should something happen. I have a bag I throw in my jeep with extra thermals, gloves, beanie, warm jacket, blanket, headlamp, flashlight, extra batteries for those, food, and water. Never know when you're gonna have to hike out or spend the night on the trail. I also always wear warm socks and good hiking boots, even if the day seems pretty hot.

The thing I'm going to try to do better next year is either leave way earlier, or later. It's hard because usually for the 4400 race, we're out until midnight or 1 am, so getting your junk loaded up the night before is difficult. I did a test this time and was loaded and leaving by 11am. I sat in standstill RV traffic until 1pm, while the rest of my camp stayed where they were and hung out, then they headed out when I told them things were finally moving. They ended up about 30 mins behind me on the road.

It was cold in the mornings, I saw 18 one morning on the truck thermometer. We are trying to figure out a better set-up for more people going next year, hopefully. We left Saturday around 3 and drove to Kingman, AZ to make the rest of the drive shorter. Driving out we stayed at the Love's in Williams, AZ. We plan to do food prep a bit different, more meals ready to just heat up, and bring something better than a F-350 long bed to drive around with.

lakebed.jpg

Froze my ass off in the rental, figured I had enough clothes to be good...wrong. Fawk me. Looked for the other Irates for a couple hours and then just pulled up next to a camp in the heights and said "hi". They welcomed me in with open arms.

Service sucked on the lakebed. I couldn't get my post to upload.

PREPARE FOR DUST!! We used ski goggles and gaiter style masks, they worked well. I brought a leaf blower and ended up using it to blow out my air filter on my carb'd jeep.

Bring lots of fuel. I ran my 3500 watt genny every night for 4 nights and all day one day for my crock pot. I used about 10 gal in the jeep. I used a total of about 30 gal. If we needed to run the generator more, we would have run out. If you run on propane, bring a lot, our neighbor ran out and slept in the cold.

Drink water! I'm still dehydrated. It was cold and I didn't drink enough water.

It would be nice if we knew what the course entailed each day. Like what runs on which laps are required so you can plan your day better. We set up on backdoor for the utvs and no one came down. (There were even recovery vehicles on the trail). We were on jackhammer most of the rest of the time.

DON'T TRY TO LEAVE ON SUNDAY if you have a full day of driving ahead of you. There is ONE exit and everyone is headed to it. Sat in line for HOURS not moving. I got to my hotel in ABQ at 4 in the morning just to leave at 8. Shower was nice, though.

Overall, great experience, fun, and met a bunch of cool people.

That traffic on Sunday was bonkers. I tried leaving just after 0900 and just sat. After not moving in 30 minutes I pulled over and started drinking. Ended up leaving Monday at 0500.
It was definitely the worst its ever been(not that it's ever good). I heard something broke down or got stuck on the bridge and that fawked everything up.

I left Saturday morning at 5:00am and didn't have to wait for anyone :flipoff2:

I would have liked to hang around to watch the main race, but with it being on Saturday, knowing how the traffic leaving is, and having a full day of driving ahead of me, it was a no-go. Dave needs to run the main race on Friday again so people have more time to leave and drive back home.

'New' tips:
1) Either leave Saturday morning or Monday.
2) Be prepared for blowing dust: goggles and neck-wrap/masks
3) Bring enough+ fuel for generator, etc.
4) Pack for windy-cold!
5)

Froze my ass off in the rental, figured I had enough clothes to be good...wrong. Fawk me. Looked for the other Irates for a couple hours and then just pulled up next to a camp in the heights and said "hi". They welcomed me in with open arms.
Did you try putting on ALL the clothes you brought?

That's a snowcamping/mountaineering trick/tip.

Did you try putting on ALL the clothes you brought?

That's a snowcamping/mountaineering trick/tip.
Holy shit did I. You would have thought I would have learned after I froze my balls off Thursday night trying to sleep in one of the rest areas on I-15 on the way to KoH. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

That traffic on Sunday was bonkers. I tried leaving just after 0900 and just sat. After not moving in 30 minutes I pulled over and started drinking. Ended up leaving Monday at 0500.

In a situation where you're camping out of the rental - as I often do there - I "leave" Saturday night after the race and festivities, and by that I mean drive down Boone Rd and pull off nearly in sight of the highway and camp. Wake up Sunday with less than a 1/4 mile to go and the wait is minimal.

Dumb question, but I heard CA had a ban on gas generators.
Is that any true ?

Seems mind blowing to me.

Dumb question, but I heard CA had a ban on gas generators.
Is that any true ?

Seems mind blowing to me.
The ban is on selling new ones and it takes effect in 2028. That is if it doesn't get reversed before then. The RV industry is pissed because they originally thought generators mounted to vehicles would be exempt and it turns out no.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.
So if it's only the sale that's banned, you can still use them if bought out of state. Or at least that's how I understand it.

So if it's only the sale that's banned, you can still use them if bought out of state. Or at least that's how I understand it.
yeah, I'm assuming so. I would imagine they'll also have to grandfather in existing ones. Can't just rip those out of everyone's hands without torches and pitchforks showing up.

Reminds me of when I lived in San Diego;
When I remodeled my kitchen back in '95; the custom cabinets I wanted were not available in CA due to it's finish (environmental chemical ban).
So I had to order the same cabinets out of PA!

MONEY/COMMERCE QUERY:

What's ideal for carrying payment options; cash and/or debit card?
For most things I never had a problem with just using card with all the vendors down there. Exceptions are buying parts off of other people down there, and the moonshine guy who occasionally will drive through camp and try to sell you a jar. I know a lot of people who bring tons of cash with them, but I've had good luck with $200 cash just in case and using a card.

Edit: and girl scout cookies. Need cash for the girl scout cookies.

For most things I never had a problem with just using card with all the vendors down there. Exceptions are buying parts off of other people down there, and the moonshine guy who occasionally will drive through camp and try to sell you a jar. I know a lot of people who bring tons of cash with them, but I've had good luck with $200 cash just in case and using a card.

Edit: and girl scout cookies. Need cash for the girl scout cookies.
Holy shit!:eek:

I bet they make a killing!:lmao::smokin:

most likely. I don't even eat much sugar, but when a cute little girl scout comes up to you at KOH and asks if you'd like to buy cookies, you buy the cookies.
It was comical the number of trucks running around with girl scouts hanging out the back. They got me a couple times.
Let's see:
1) Week-long event
2) Lots of adult beverages being consumed
3) CA is a pot-friendly state

I'd say that's the ingredients of a serious cookie-sale killing!:lmao::smokin:

Top Back Refresh