What's new

2022/2023/2024/NOW 2025 KoH; Attending for nOOBs: How/What/Where/Why

Starlink is all that got me through the10 days we were there. Camp, race car, pit, chase truck all had them. My texting signal was fine almost everywhere. Hammertown my ability to send pictures went to shit if I wasn’t in the pits. I have xfinity mobile and it uses Verizon towers. I was out at Desert 2 area and was able to watch the live stream of the race on regular 5g.

IS THIS PLAUSIBLE?
Get/use Starlink while at KoH?

I know part of the answer because it was stated some teams used it to follow KoH just like we did.
Said teams also used Sat. phones for the commo.

I'd like to be able to watch/follow KoH like we just did, only I want to do it while being there.
Our team used starlink instead of race radios this year. With the app we had it was just like radios/walkie talkie.

Starlink still works well there. Before long they may not unless Musk dedicated more satellites to the area…. Which doesn’t qualify for more coverage except for during KoH.

I’m thinking for selling mine and getting one of the new bigger ones that works while driving the RV

nOOB questions:
During qualifying and race week; how do you guys typically spend your day?

Out all day in the field, and then return at dust?
Go out, then return to camp or Hammertown/repeat throughout the day?
Hang out at camp or Hammertown most of the time?

nOOB questions:

Trying to sleep off my hangover/ waiting for it to get above 40, then to hammer town for my morning poo, back to camp for breakfast, fix whatever broke the day before, maybe go watch qualifying and look for friends, drink some beer, mild wheeling, dinner, fix more shit, go out for night time shenanigans... rinse and repeat

nOOB questions:

We ended up in the Can-Am members lounge area for a good chunk of the trip. They had a pretty sweet setup near the S/F line. Had the live feed up and a set of bleachers. We ventured out to Backdoor and Chunder a few times but seemed to end up back in HT. Hanging in town is not cheap and is BYOB.

nOOB questions:

When I used to volunteer:

Leading up to recovery days
Wake up with hangover
Head to hammer town for morning poop/social media check
Back to camp to make breakfast and fix anything I may have broke the previous day
Head over to hammer town to check things out now that the rest of camp is awake
Lunch
Load up and prerun some trails
Back in time for dinner.
Go watch some night shenanigans from a distance, go night wheeling way out away from crowds, or head over to Ultra 3 if it's Tuesday.
Bed

On recovery days
Wake up early with hangover
Head to hammer town for morning poop/social media check
Back to camp to make breakfast, pack a lunch, and refill the cooler
Load up rig and get out on trail to before racers
Setup ez-up/chairs, and watch racer on trail
Eat lunch
Watch lower talent racers become trail tampons and help them un-tampon/flip back over
Cook some sort of dinner/snack
Watch all the racers who had the bad luck to be out on course late. Offer water/emotional support to their co-dawgs.
Pack it up and head back whenever race-ops calls it (ealier for UTV/everyman, ~11pm for 4400)
On the way back to camp, get re-directed by race ops to check on racers that haven't moved in a long time and no one has heard from. Sometimes find a rig that needs to be drug out to a main road so their team and get them back to the pits/camp
Roll into camp super late and eat some sort of late night dinner/snack and have a cocktail.
Bed

Trying to sleep off my hangover/ waiting for it to get above 40, then to hammer town for my morning poo, back to camp for breakfast, fix whatever broke the day before, maybe go watch qualifying and look for friends, drink some beer, mild wheeling, dinner, fix more shit, go out for night time shenanigans... rinse and repeat
pretty much the same here with the exception of going out for scouting photo shots, getting photos and going from point to point.
What usually kicks my ass is the last day or two; during the main race, up early and made it out to the first spot of the day then spend the entire day going from point to point, getting photos, race back to camp at dusk, get a quick bite to eat, go to get picks at the finish line. Then go back to camp, drink, relax and hang out with friends. go to sleep around 1am, wake up at 4am, pack up and start the 9 hour drive home.

Get up in the morning. Go to hammertown for morning poo. Head out and watch some racing/qualifying.

Come back to hammertown around lunch for a monster and food and check out the rigs going through tech.

Head back out for more spectating in the afternoon.

Swing back into camp for more clothes and supplies before heading to chunder for night time spectating.

I would like to do some wheeling but i cant seem to find anyone local to go with or meet up with anyone there.

Would like to camp with a group in '25 instead of just me and a buddy.

Can/does Hammertown keep you occupied/interested throughout qualifying/race week?
Or does one or two two-hour walk arounds do it?

Are there a lot of vendors?

The shitter is definitely a popular attraction!:laughing:

1) Is Hammertown foot traffic only?
Or can you drive around inside?
2) If not; Is there a parking area right outside Hammertown?

1709410717429.png

Parking right outside Hammertown and walk in.

Plenty of stuff to see in hammertown most days. Also the pits are close also and a lot of cool stuff going on there to check out. Quite a few vendors but you could prolly check them all out in a couple hours but if you stop and visit that time can increase dramatically lol. I will say if you are looking to build/upgrade your rig going in an asking the vendors is a great way to learn what will/wont work for you.

Walking around tech inspection days is pretty cool if you're not out watching the races as you get to talk to the drivers & teams.

nOOB questions:

Normal hammers day for my group is

wake up 7-8ish

grab a breakfast burrito/coffee/take a dump

10ish restock ice chests and head out to watch some qualifying/racing

5ish back to camp for dinner/hangout

9ish chunder/backdoor/ultra 3

some of the days we'll replace watching qualifying/racing with checking out hammertown (usually 2 days of walking around for about an hour) or getting lunch or wheeling, we do a trip into town for lunch on one day, this year we drove out to see the big rock on the way to yucca valley

we really dont watch alot of the racing, we try to get around and have some food, look at rigs and just hang out

Top Back Refresh