What's new

2022/2023/2024/NOW 2025 KoH; Attending for nOOBs: How/What/Where/Why

I’m looking forward to it. Will have a rig and a quad for buzzing around. My friends team will be trying to con me in to being camp chef / camp bitch all week but it’s too much work even with every paid for.

I’m looking forward to it. Will have a rig and a quad for buzzing around. My friends team will be trying to con me in to being camp chef / camp bitch all week but it’s too much work even with every paid for.
yeah, it can be too much work for one person. What we do is split up the work: each day of the week, 1-2 different people will be in charge of dinner (cooking, providing all the food for that night, etc.) for each day. For breakfast, we all bring something so we have enough for the week. At the end of the trip, we add all of the costs and see who paid what and who owes who. it's worked really well over the years and we'll probably do the same thing again this year

Even with the lead sponsor paying for all the food and booze for 2 teams, it was exhausting and not worth it.

yeah, it can be too much work for one person. What we do is split up the work: each day of the week, 1-2 different people will be in charge of dinner (cooking, providing all the food for that night, etc.) for each day. For breakfast, we all bring something so we have enough for the week. At the end of the trip, we add all of the costs and see who paid what and who owes who. it's worked really well over the years and we'll probably do the same thing again this year

Told the new job that I won't be in the first 2 weeks of February and they were fine with it. My best friend lives in Tahoe so it will be a trip to see him and then down to Johnson Valley.

I've done that same thing a few times, skiing then KOH. The drive down 395 is pretty nice as long as you don't have any snow going on. Usually I've rented an SUV from Reno, had a sleeping bag in my suitcase, grab a $8 air mattress from Walmart, slept in the SUV at KOH, and returned it to Ontario or Vegas.

How’s the cell service? Can you get signal on the lakebed with a booster?

During the day you'll have 'signal', especially with Verizon, but it tends to get overloaded with that many people out there so it can be slow and spotty even though the signal looks strong. I've found once it's later and most people have gone to bed that the service gets a lot better.

alright, it's official, Jan 27th through Feb 5th. Looks like the main race is on Saturday again. I put in my time off request already so I'll be going again this year for sure. I'm pretty sure it's going to be huge
Ok;
JAN. 27th through FEB. 5th. :beer:

If I'm coming from the PNW via I15; would I basically hang a left when I get to Barstow?

I'm going by vague memory.:homer:

Please feel free to post a route.:grinpimp::beer:

When I travel to San Diego; I go to Twin Falls/hang a right/connect to 93 South/spit out just North of North Los Vegas/continue South on I15.
Sorry that is the route! I thought you meant all the way around SLC through St George and then Vegas.

This will be my first time to KOH! If I can, I'd like to tag along with someone to some good spectator spots on Thurs, Friday, and Saturday. Ya'll post up GPS coordinates of the Irate camp and I'll set up out that way.

I'll be pulling my cargo trailer with my jeep in it from DFW. I've got the trailer set up to sleep in. Heading out Tuesday night, drive through the night into the next day to Joshua tree via 287 and 40. Crash in a hotel in Joshua tree, get up Thursday and head out to the lake bed. I'm going to break up the trip back, stopping in ABQ.

I'm pumped.:smokin:

My plans got hosed just before Christmas, I've got to be in St.Louis for a meeting on the 1st. The wife and I are leaning towards using points to fly into Burbank on the 2nd, renting an RV and heading to the lakebed. Could be there Wednesday evening but would have nothing to drive wound which really sucks. Still working on a plan.

I had planned to be there by Monday and sectioning off an area big enough for IBB people near Hammertown Heights. Unless somebody else wants to do that we may just have to aim for the same area and post up locations.

I'll be with the wheelingwineandwhiskey crew and the plan is to be at the same spot as last year, near the stonehedge and close to the 3-wheel atv dudes. just bought the irate whip flag and will have that on my mall crawler throughout the week.

I'll be with the wheelingwineandwhiskey crew and the plan is to be at the same spot as last year, near the stonehedge and close to the 3-wheel atv dudes. just bought the irate whip flag and will have that on my mall crawler throughout the week.
I'll be down there with the winch mob kinda close to your camp... If Jimmy makes it down this year, I'll probably wander over to you guys to say what's up. Not sure if I'm taking the mobile meth lab down or if I'll be in a new motorhome, but I'll be cruising around in my stretched YJ when we're not working recovery:
PXL_20211114_004724081.jpg

Cool. From what I know, Jimmy and Tyler are coming down around Tuesday and we'll be in the same area. I just got my Irate4x4 flag so that'll be on my mall crawler

Looks like I'm showing up on a quick and dirty trip. Arriving Thursday. It will be my first time out there, so should be interesting

Wild that the are running turkey claw. Are they running SOS too?

That'll be cool, to go from the starting line, watch that, and head over to Turkey claw, since it's so close to camp and won't be as packed as Chocolate Thunder or Backdoor.
I think this year, they will be coming down Backdoor so not too much action there.
Can't wait to see what the final course will be. That'll make it easier to scout it out before the race.

Last edited:
Backdoor will have a ton of action going down with UTV, 4500-4600 and a little bit of 4800. 4400 is boring to watch going down.

We have done recovery there for years. I wanna say UTV is 70+ rollovers going down in 2020. 30-40 for 4500-4600-4800 and only a couple for 4400

Wonder if they'll be going up Chocolate Thunder this year? Last year they came down and up that new section. Pretty good spot to sit and watch.

Was hoping to be able to bring a bike out this year but that probably isn't happening. If I can get the travelling flag from Briansc33 before I go I'll fly it off my buddy's Pinzgauer that we'll supposedly be driving around in with no seats singing sea shanties. I'll be on the lookout for a big gay irate camp. maybe i can convince the boys to drop in there and make it a little gayer.

Top Back Refresh