What's new

2022/2023/2024/NOW 2025 KoH; Attending for nOOBs: How/What/Where/Why

Someone did to the hike from the top of Jack Hammer to Kings Graveyard(?) and he said it was a long ass hike

Yep, that's a big ass hill. I bet you could jump in with some of the recovery crews if you want to head out that early in the morning. You'd also be on your own for getting back, since they're usually not off the trail until very late. I wonder if anyone has ever hit JT up for a ride when he's out roving around?

I have access to a lifted genuine golf cart.

Would that be helpful getting around while I'm there?

Any problems with it being swiped?

Golf cart would work for getting to/from hammer town. I leave my 250 just leaned up against the fence by the entry to hammer town for hours at a time with the helmet hanging off the bars and no one has ever messed with it. It's a beater though, so maybe most people figure it's not worth it. A golf cart would suck getting from camp out to the spectator areas. You'd want something faster that doesn't have issues with a little sand and whoops for that.

Golf cart would work for getting to/from hammer town. I leave my 250 just leaned up against the fence by the entry to hammer town for hours at a time with the helmet hanging off the bars and no one has ever messed with it. It's a beater though, so maybe most people figure it's not worth it. A golf cart would suck getting from camp out to the spectator areas. You'd want something faster that doesn't have issues with a little sand and whoops for that.

yeah for getting around, I usually use my FJ or Jeep to get from point to point but most likely next year I'll be driving the Jeep around. Since it's a JKUR, what we usually do is that if I share a camper with some friends, then we'll use my rig to shuttle us around through out the event, which will hold 3 passengers. But if I'm sleeping in my rig, then I only have room for 1 passenger.
Another thing to think about is that last year with a huge ass crowd, there were many times when we almost got hit by some ATV or UTV jackass not paying attention

open carry of pistols is against the law in CA and i doubt anybody will believe you are actively target shooting or legally hunting during KOH week. while nobody will probably say anything, if you are even a little paranoid about it, i cannot recommend open carry.

concealed carry is legal with a CA permit and isn't always super rare to get. CA does not honor (any?) out of state permits, but if you are carrying concealed and somebody happens to notice, odds are extremely high that they will simply assume That it's none of their damn business and they should keep their mouth shut.

If you are concerned about traveling and being pulled over, then you should probably not have it on your person or somewhere that it will be noticed by somebody walking around your vehicle.

I have heard of people carrying concealed without a permit and if you look at CA arrest records, it isn't as uncommon as the man would like you to think. it is a misd. if you are not breaking any other laws at the time.

hell, the $500 fine is damn near the cost of getting the permit :laughing:

Fixed.

as a legal CCW holder, i'm fairly lax about concerns regarding "printing" or "exposing" or whatever. i'm certainly not a deep conceal guy, I've maybe had a look or two from somebody but I've never had to actually produce my permit or answer a question about it.

Depending on your access to a camper, we stayed in landers area in an airbnb this year. Worse part was the drive up and down boone road each day. We showed up Friday the 29th, wheeled saturday through wednesday, and watched the rest of the races. Doing it again, at least coming from texas and planning to wheel, we would show up for the races and stay a few days after to wheel. Trails get plugged up bad about mid afternoon. We hiked up the hill on jack and sledge for race days and really enjoyed the action.

Depending on your access to a camper, we stayed in landers area in an airbnb this year. Worse part was the drive up and down boone road each day.

That would suck.

This was my first year there, and I can't wait for next year. I used rvshare.com and rented an RV. The owners dropped it off and picked it up from KoH for an extra $150, well worth it and if I don't have a camper by KoH 2022 then I'll use them again.

Now that I know whats there and how the place works .... we'll certainly rope off an irate campsite :smokin:

Now that I know whats there and how the place works .... we'll certainly rope off an irate campsite :smokin:

That would be sick !

I need to make it back there !

That would suck.

This was my first year there, and I can't wait for next year. I used rvshare.com and rented an RV. The owners dropped it off and picked it up from KoH for an extra $150, well worth it and if I don't have a camper by KoH 2022 then I'll use them again.

Depending on the size of the RV, getting a couple of people to chip in and share the RV wouldn't be a bad idea.

We didn't make it this year, but past years we flew into Vegas and rented an RV to drive from Vegas. Flights into vegas are dirt cheap and if you split the RV between a few people it is cheap too.

We didn't make it this year, but past years we flew into Vegas and rented an RV to drive from Vegas. Flights into vegas are dirt cheap and if you split the RV between a few people it is cheap too.

Logistics! Logistics! :flipoff2: :grinpimp:

What did it cost to rent the RV?
How did you fill the RV with food; grocery-run?
Did RV company pick you up from the airport?
Did they drop you off as well?

Logistics! Logistics! :flipoff2: :grinpimp:

What did it cost to rent the RV?
How did you fill the RV with food; grocery-run?
Did RV company pick you up from the airport?
Did they drop you off as well?

I think it was $500 - $600 for 4 nights, plus fuel. I think we spent about $200 in fuel. So $200/night, spilt between a couple of people.
Uber from the airport to RV rental company.
We usually stop at the wal mart in Barstow to fill up with groceries. It's right on the way.
its about a 4 hour drive from Vegas to the lake bed.

The hardest part is having a way to get around on the lake bed. We met up with friends out there and bum rides off them. Two years ago a buddy came along and rent a stock jeep in Vegas. That was enough to get us to backdoor, chocolate thunder, and sledge. A stock 1/2 ton or tahoe / suburban could get you to most of the viewing areas if you take it easy.

I think it was $500 - $600 for 4 nights, plus fuel. I think we spent about $200 in fuel. So $200/night, spilt between a couple of people.
Uber from the airport to RV rental company.
We usually stop at the wal mart in Barstow to fill up with groceries. It's right on the way.
its about a 4 hour drive from Vegas to the lake bed.

The hardest part is having a way to get around on the lake bed. We met up with friends out there and bum rides off them. Two years ago a buddy came along and rent a stock jeep in Vegas. That was enough to get us to backdoor, chocolate thunder, and sledge. A stock 1/2 ton or tahoe / suburban could get you to most of the viewing areas if you take it easy.

We were able to get to all the viewing areas just fine in a rented Nissan Versa and my buddies 2wd Avalanche another year :laughing:

IMG_2428.JPG

Honestly that year was the most fun I have ever had at KOH :laughing: We were passing Jeeps in the whoops and trying to make it up climbs in the Versa and it was a blast. We got stuck in the sand once and were able to self extract using the trunk mat (left a burnout mark across it :laughing:), and we ripped the rear bumper cover off trying to keep up speed in some soft whoops, but popped it back on and the rental agency didn't notice the big tear in it when we returned it :homer:

Last edited:
Honestly that year was the most fun I have ever had at KOH :lauging: We were passing Jeeps in the whoops and trying to make it up climbs in the Versa and it was a blast. We got stuck in the sand once and were able to self extract using the trunk mat (left a burnout mark across it :laughing:), and we ripped the rear bumper cover off trying to keep up speed in some soft whoops, but popped it back on and the rental agency didn't notice the big tear in it when we returned it :homer:

Ah yes, the rally car life. Cruised in the back seat of this thing to the top of chocolate thunder a few times. Did a lot of passing in the whoops on the way and it was surprisingly smooth except for feeling the occasional impact of the top of the whoop hitting the floorboard beneath my feet. :smokin:

xaGTiENh.jpg

I went alone from Toronto Canada for KOH 2019. Flew into Vegas and rented a 4x4 midsize thing. Loaded up on beer, a foam cooler, ice, water, steaks, potato’s, salt, butter, and wrapper snacks. Packed a sleeping bag, pillow, and clothes in a carry on. 5 days 4 nights. Went for the Shootout, and Power hour. I was back at home the next day for the big race. Best seat is online for that I think.
I just bought some fire wood, and cooked over a fire for dinner. Ate breakfast in hammer town. Beer and snacks all day.

The Nissan thing did fine. I was surprised the front fascia was so durable in the whoops. The sand climbs I had no idea what the thing was doing. I just floored it, all these dash lights sparkle, and I made it to the top of everything.

I just slept in the rental where ever I felt like it. I tried to pick places I wouldn’t get smacked by a hi-speed machine at night. Back door kept me entertained most evenings. I think I counted 5 blown motors, and countless axles over the 4 nights. Place is epic. I meet up with several People I knew, and everyone I meet, and partied with was really cool.

I caved on the last night and headed to a hotel for a shower. I just hit up the closet city about 1.5-2 hours on my way back to Vegas.

I almost ran out of fuel. I’d grab a jerry van if I do it again this way.

$1500 Canadian loonies total. Even bought some sandals at the airport instead of dumping the leftovers into the slots.

Can’t wait to do it again.
B59BC73A-0947-4063-BF31-A34120D6D5A6.jpeg

That's awesome about the Nissan:laughing:
yeah, definitely have to set up a site for the Irate4x4 crew to meet up at. We were camped near the 3Wheeler shit-show and next to the Stonehedge area. Can't wait to do it again

How do you media guys get around out there? Do you have to hike in? I always thought it would be cool if they had some media transport that could safely take you guys out to some of the other trails without driving on the course. Would have be awesome to see content from deadblow for example.
I've been media for the past three years. My first year I had to walk/bum rides. The following two years, I had a rental. The course is so massive, it's impossible to see every point of interest. Most of the media guys I've worked/talked with try and hit the biggest obstacles in the shortest distance. If you get too into the weeds on the course, you'll never get back to the finish line in time. It's easier when you're following a single racer, but when you're trying to cover the field, it can be daunting.

Last edited:
alright, it's official, Jan 27th through Feb 5th. Looks like the main race is on Saturday again. I put in my time off request already so I'll be going again this year for sure. I'm pretty sure it's going to be huge

Yeah I saw they extended the week to a week and change now. I’m curious what else they have in store

Not saying or knowing if anything will get added (like Dave doesn’t want to). It’s been listed as 9-10 days for a bit I think. But I was thinking Thur/Fri was probably mostly tech/check-in for the desert racers this year. Then desert racing first weekend. Move into U4 tech/qualifying Monday.

hey all, here's the official schedule for KOH2022. Looking at the schedule, it'll probably be a Monday through Sat for me.

Full schedule here: 2022 King of the Hammers Week

Saturday Jan 29, 2022 ~ The Toyo Tires Desert Challenge, Day 1

Sunday Jan 30, 2022 ~ The Toyo Tires Desert Challenge, Day 2

Monday Jan 31, 2022 ~ Can-AM UTV King of the Hammers: Qualifying | The Holley EFi Shootout | The Lasernut Rock Coronation

Tuesday Feb 1, 2022 ~ 4WP Every Man Challenge: Qualifying | All Balls Racing King of the Motos | The Pit Crew Challenge presented by Pro Eagle and Buggy Whips

Wednesday Feb 2, 2022 ~ King of the Hammers: Qualifying + LCQ

Thursday Feb 3, 2022 ~ The Can-Am UTV King of the Hammers

Friday Feb 4, 2022 ~ 4WP Every Man Challenge

Saturday Feb 5, 2022 ~ The 2022 King of the Hammers, powered by OPTIMA Batteries

Carry a backpack with you. Pack extra food, drink, headlight, toilet paper and extra clothes. Be prepared to freeze your ass off, and then boil the next day. Don't use any tarps or canopy unless your totally prepared for it to be torn off it's mounting and blown miles down the road. People are generally super cool and helpful. Theft occurs. Don't leave generators outside without a chain/lock. Same with spare sets of tires, tools, ARB fridges, or whatnot. Not sure how the COVID rules will be this upcoming year, but, it's Kalifornia, so expect some requirements including masks, and probably proof of vaccine. Pack more fuel than you think you'll need. If you're going wheeling while there, go with someone else, not so much for safety, but, moreso that you stay off the race course

I bought this for 2020 and worked great riding the quad around.

Holds 12 cans with ice.

Attachments

• B87F62EE-42B2-496C-B6B9-35EF84D8214E.png
    B87F62EE-42B2-496C-B6B9-35EF84D8214E.png
    412 KB · Views: 32
Pack more fuel than you think you'll need.

THIS!!! EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. we run out and we try to bring more each year but it doesn’t seem to matter....it pisses me off lol we camp in a big group so mid week every year we gather up every single 5 gallon can from the group and end up going to the nearest gas station and end up buying a ton of fuel. It wastes a couple hours, it’s a 15 min drive to the gas station once you hit pavement, but getting off Boone road and back on to Boone road and to camp can take a while depending on the time of day.

I'm trying to make this year my first time out there. I highly doubt the Mrs. wants to tag along for the shenanigans.

edit. spellins

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh