What's new

2022/2023/2024/NOW 2025 KoH; Attending for nOOBs: How/What/Where/Why

Guess it’s safe to say that’s Schererer-er’s new car is slightly past the middle portion of the build…
E6F04580-A419-415B-A0C7-7C7535DD39DB.png

is there an app that has the trails mapped out on it? avenza? something better? wanted to give the passenger an ipad to find our way around competently.

also- whats the firewood situation? and anyone that dumps and fills rv tanks?

is there an app that has the trails mapped out on it? avenza? something better? wanted to give the passenger an ipad to find our way around competently.

I'll share my map tomorrow if I remember.

If you bring your own firewood, you might want to consider figuring out a route around one of the ports of entry because they might confiscate it if they find it. I know there is a service in Hammer town for pumping RVs, but I don't know whether they service campers outside the fence.

Why / when did they ban firewood?
It's been illegal to bring firewood in from out of state for years, maybe forever.

Edit Linky:

It's been illegal to bring firewood in from out of state for years, maybe forever.

Edit Linky:

Thanks, never crossed my mind, seems like a lot of work to move it to at far.

Last year they provided us with the app BFG OnTrail for the course map. I know in the past it was Avenza maps and you could purchase the maps through Ultra4 but not sure what they are going to use this year.

Honky Lips here are the maps I have, they are 95% stolen and I haven't taken the time to clean them up and add in all the stuff that's missing, but should be good enough to find most of the main trails.

EDIT: The ratings in the legend are a crapshoot by the way.

Attachments

• Johnson_Valley.kmz
    280.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Also, here is a map I made of the 2021 EMC course. Obviously the course changes every year, but it should give you a rough idea of where the race runs.

Attachments

• KOH EMC Course 2021.kmz
    94.1 KB · Views: 5
Not been to KOH yet, but in the past there’s been a firewood vendor in Hammertown selling wood by the arm full. No idea if that’ll be a thing for 2023 or not though.

Next year will be my first time. I’m looking at going the 4th - 7th, so basically catching the Class 11, Desert Challenge, and the EMC qualifying.

What have people thought of these events in the past? Worth it as stand alone trip?

Also, since it’s a short trip I’m debating towing the Jeep down or not… am I really limiting myself if I just have my truck, or will I want my Jeep out there? I don’t want to participate in any of the dumb drunk trail runs, just spectate and check out cool rigs. I’ll honestly probably be more stoked on the attendees rigs than some of the race cars.

Next year will be my first time. I’m looking at going the 4th - 7th, so basically catching the Class 11, Desert Challenge, and the EMC qualifying.

What have people thought of these events in the past? Worth it as stand alone trip?

Also, since it’s a short trip I’m debating towing the Jeep down or not… am I really limiting myself if I just have my truck, or will I want my Jeep out there? I don’t want to participate in any of the dumb drunk trail runs, just spectate and check out cool rigs. I’ll honestly probably be more stoked on the attendees rigs than some of the race cars.

If you're not planning on doing any wheeling, any stock 4x4 will get you around just fine, and there will be more awesome rigs parked/running around than you can shake a stick at. It is fun watching the drunken night time debauchery at least once over at Chocolate Thunder or Backdoor, but there is no way in hell I'd ever be an active participant in it :laughing:

Personally, I think it is a bit of a waste if you're not there for the main race or at least the EMC. The other stuff is just kind of an amusing side show in my opinion, but still cool to see.

I've been going since 2010, it keeps growing and growing. Definitely worth being on the lakebed for a few races, there is nothing quite like being AT a race and absorbing the energy and excitement.

And desert-capable transportation is a must....after-dark shitshow on Chocolate Thunder or BackDoor, spectator spots for race days, and zero chance your campsite is convenient to any of them. I got home from KOH 2010 and had a RZR 800 in the driveway a week later. The old Duramax sucked out there...lol

FINDING the RV Dump guy can be a challenge, but they do hit the entire lakebed. I know a few years back it was $300 to dump and fill fresh water. My wife and I did 10 days on the lakebed in our truck camper years back for KOH, 44 gallons of fresh got us by.

I'll be out the prior week or so to wheel, but will be watching the big race from a beach in Cancun :)

I took this pic on Sledgehammer in 2010. Those were the days...

DSC_0430.JPG

There is a way in gmaps I think to pull up lat and long cordinates. The first guy to roll in and want to start the group going should probably just put them here. Or have a bunch of groups "hammer heights", "near checkpoint one" etc.

Guess it’s safe to say that’s Schererer-er’s new car is slightly past the middle portion of the build…
E6F04580-A419-415B-A0C7-7C7535DD39DB.png

He said it is way better than his last car.... the one he got to the front row of the start line with 8 years in a row.

Of course he is an incredible driver, but :eek::eek::eek:, can't wait to see how well this new car runs.

I gots a questions for the local Californians regarding fuel quality if you have any experience with Octane rating and altitude.

I'm planning on bringing my dirt bike out to the lakebed this year. It runs on premium, and I'm wondering if you guys have any experience with running slightly lower grade fuel from higher elevations down close to sea level. Here in NM, I can get 90-91 octane as premium out of the pump, but I know that most of the country has 93 at the pump. I normally wouldn't sweat 2 octane numbers for such a thing, but I've never ridden any of my bikes at such a low elevation before, so wanted to get some advice from the locals.

Buy California Premium once in state? Take 10 gallons of premium from NM? Buy some other shit in AZ somewhere? Buy a jug of VP onsite?

INB4 octane booster: Those products have a history of wrecking Yamaha fuel pumps. Not quite down with that.
TIA

I gots a questions for the local Californians regarding fuel quality if you have any experience with Octane rating and altitude.

I'm planning on bringing my dirt bike out to the lakebed this year. It runs on premium, and I'm wondering if you guys have any experience with running slightly lower grade fuel from higher elevations down close to sea level. Here in NM, I can get 90-91 octane as premium out of the pump, but I know that most of the country has 93 at the pump. I normally wouldn't sweat 2 octane numbers for such a thing, but I've never ridden any of my bikes at such a low elevation before, so wanted to get some advice from the locals.

Buy California Premium once in state? Take 10 gallons of premium from NM? Buy some other shit in AZ somewhere? Buy a jug of VP onsite?

INB4 octane booster: Those products have a history of wrecking Yamaha fuel pumps. Not quite down with that.
TIA
I generally run California 91 in my bikes with no issues. Usually I'm down at KOH goofing around on a yamaha stock 4 stroke 250.

He said it is way better than his last car.... the one he got to the front row of the start line with 8 years in a row.

Of course he is an incredible driver, but :eek::eek::eek:, can't wait to see how well this new car runs.
That’s pretty crazy to think about.

Bring my premium from home it is. :beer:

If you camp with the Irates I'll bring a NM local brew with your name on it
I'll be up at the winch mob camp in the heights for a few days with the family this year. No need to bring me any brew, but I'll definitely try to seek out the irate camp and say what's up this year.

Top Back Refresh