What's new

2022/2023/2024/NOW 2025 KoH; Attending for nOOBs: How/What/Where/Why

The spot I stayed at last year was a 100' circle that actually had cell service, I'm gonna see if I can track that spot down this year. It would make things easier I'm thinking. Just drive around until my phone says "HERE"

The spot I stayed at last year was a 100' circle that actually had cell service, I'm gonna see if I can track that spot down this year. It would make things easier I'm thinking. Just drive around until my phone says "HERE"
Pro tip:Turn on GPS photo tagging on your phone when you're out there. Take pictures of stuff. Then the next year you want to find something, just go back and check the GPS tag location.

Example- the ultra3 race last year:
1674234280352.png

Pro tip:Turn on GPS photo tagging on your phone when you're out there. Take pictures of stuff. Then the next year you want to find something, just go back and check the GPS tag location.

Example- the ultra3 race last year:
1674234280352.png
In the photo, if you turn around and walked 2-3 minutes, you'd be in our camp. I think that's the area we're shooting for again. Also at night, that's what I use to navigate my way back to camp:laughing:

In the photo, if you turn around and walked 2-3 minutes, you'd be in our camp. I think that's the area we're shooting for again. Also at night, that's what I use to navigate my way back to camp:laughing:
We were camped close. I had just walked out of our camp, across the "road", and past some of their vehicles when I took that picture. We'll probably be in that same area again.

I'm still on the fence of making it. Would be there 8th-11th ish. A group of my buddies are going for sure, I just don't know if I'll make it. If I do make it, I'll be in either a stock white Tacoma or with my buddy in a Wagoneer on 40's.
'84 Bronco II and I are rolling out in a really similar timeframe. Hopefully if you go I can actually find you this time :laughing:

What’s the status of welders out there. I’d assume there’s more welders in hammertown than most major metropolitan cities. But wondering if I should bring one. I’m showing up like a full race team because i want to party and have means to fix shit afterwords

What’s the status of welders out there. I’d assume there’s more welders in hammertown than most major metropolitan cities. But wondering if I should bring one. I’m showing up like a full race team because i want to party and have means to fix shit afterwords
I'm not sure if Ruff Stuff will be there this year but if they do, they're awesome about welding up both competitors and spectator rigs in need for free (I think).

Also, if you driving through Barstow, like Mexican food and taxidermy, then go check out Casa Jimenez. It's actually pretty good though it's a bit weird to have a stuffed deer or fox staring at you .
casa.jpg

We were camped close. I had just walked out of our camp, across the "road", and past some of their vehicles when I took that picture. We'll probably be in that same area again.
Sounds like we were camped right on top of each other. We should be near there again, arriving the 2nd if all goes well.

Alright, final dirtbike question from me, but this one will pertain mostly to people's experience with law enforcement in the area.

My bike is registered as street legal in the state of new mexico and I have current documentation on my registration and insurance.
As such, I do not have an OHV sticker for it.

I figured that this wouldn't be an issue for me as long as I bring my registration and insurance documentation with me, however '84 Bronco II has heard of and seen people getting hassled by BLM enforcement on the lake bed about street plated SxSs and the like needing a nonresident OHV permit for use on public land. Everything I researched in the last half hour or so says I should be in the clear, but I'm not looking to get into a situation with some dickhead out there.
Please advise.

Alright, final dirtbike question from me, but this one will pertain mostly to people's experience with law enforcement in the area.

My bike is registered as street legal in the state of new mexico and I have current documentation on my registration and insurance.
As such, I do not have an OHV sticker for it.

I figured that this wouldn't be an issue for me as long as I bring my registration and insurance documentation with me, however '84 Bronco II has heard of and seen people getting hassled by BLM enforcement on the lake bed about street plated SxSs and the like needing a nonresident OHV permit for use on public land. Everything I researched in the last half hour or so says I should be in the clear, but I'm not looking to get into a situation with some dickhead out there.
Please advise.
Never heard of anyone having trouble with a plated bike. But, I'd avoid LEOs out there at all costs. They're a bit high strung due to having to police what amounts to a mad max movie every year. Story below:

Last year, on the way to the race course to do recovery, I had an incident where a group of rangers/officers in patrol vehicles cut in front of me and the rest of my group. The were going extra slow(probably because the latest ford explorer doesn't do well when it gets bumpy) and I had to wait for a chance to pass. I made a clean pass, and tried not to do it with any drama (going about 15 mph to their 10), and immediately got pulled over. The officer was what I can only describe as "in a dick-ish mood" and told me my trasheroo was covering my license plate. It was, I apologized, pulled it off and threw it in the back. He then went on to tell me that I had passed him unsafely and that my vehicle was throwing mud/rocks. It finally came out that he was peeved that when I went by, a dirt clod had landed on his windshield. I lost my cool a bit and argued with him that he was at an off road race in the middle of a designated OHV area and that sort of shit is the least of his worries out here until another officer rolled up, asked me if I was doing recovery by the flag I had and my vest.I said yes, he said sorry, we'll get this sorted, and then sent me on my way.... but not before the first cop tried to tell me again how reckless I was passing him and throwing dirt and rocks everywhere.

My friend finally noticed I wasn't right behind him in the desert, turned around to see what happened, and managed to snap this picture of me getting let off :
1674858902322.png

Last edited:
Never heard of anyone having trouble with a plated bike. But, I'd avoid LEOs out there at all costs. They're a bit high strung due to having to police what amounts to a mad max movie every year.
That's pretty much gonna have to be the plan. Advantage of being on a bike is I can loop around Means to the south and avoid the hammer town clusterfuck on it altogether. I've never seen them get very far away from the front of hammertown/pit area or just around chunder/backdoor.

I did read your story before, and it's that situation I'd like to avoid, those tards probably wont know any of the letter of the law they'd be trying to enforce on me.

Ride discrete and generally stay away from hammertown. Seem like a solid plan?

That's pretty much gonna have to be the plan. Advantage of being on a bike is I can loop around Means to the south and avoid the hammer town clusterfuck on it altogether. I've never seen them get very far away from the front of hammertown/pit area or just around chunder/backdoor.

I did read your story before, and it's that situation I'd like to avoid, those tards probably wont know any of the letter of the law they'd be trying to enforce on me.

Ride discrete and generally stay away from hammertown. Seem like a solid plan?
I ride down to hammer town, rather than walking or around to chunder/backdoor sometimes. I think as long as you give johnny law a couple car widths away, you should be good. I don't think I've ever caught any of them craning their next to look for a green sticker, so as long as you don't give anyone a reason, you can probably ride where you want.

There's so many out of state plates on so many funky not very street legal rigs(looking at you Arizona) that I bet you'll be fine.

Didn't see if this has been posted yet but here's the 2023 Spectator Map. Trying to figure out the game plan for shooting the main and EMC race, start off at the starting line, make my way to Turkey claw after that, head to the desert 2 area and then Chocolate Thunder. Not sure which direction they are going to be coming or going on when they hit Sledge and Jack hammer though.

Spectator Map.jpg

Nice! What kinda speeds you getting?

Would be interesting to test daily as more and more people show up
48F1DB73-B2D7-468D-8399-6AAF8B54F1F8.png

I’ll check again today around same time to see if it’s different. I don’t think it will be, I think a lot of people are waiting until tomorrow or even as late as weds to show up

Didn't see if this has been posted yet but here's the 2023 Spectator Map. Trying to figure out the game plan for shooting the main and EMC race, start off at the starting line, make my way to Turkey claw after that, head to the desert 2 area and then Chocolate Thunder. Not sure which direction they are going to be coming or going on when they hit Sledge and Jack hammer though.

The ultra4 race is going counterclockwise so we’ll go from start out to the sand hill past backdoor and out on the desert loop and then come back in, do turkey in reverse from last year, into HT and then out to rock loop. Sledge and Jack is an either/or in the up direction (we’ve been told from the bottom of jackhammer just get to the mailbox however you want)

Top Back Refresh