What's new

2025 KoH; Attending for nOOBs: How/What/Where/Why

I got soft this year and booked an AirBnB in Landers. The camper we used last time got sold and I wasn't about to scramble up a junk camper for one trip.

Will Axel non D.O.T. rated brain buckets be enough to keep the fuzz off my back while in the SXS? I'll have my 14 yr old daughter and my 60 yr old pops with me so I'm planning on staying out of trouble if possible. Glass windshield in the X3 so full helmets aren't our jam and aren't required by law in NV so we don't own anything else.

Theres so many people out there I dont think they have the resources to check everyones helmets for certifications. I will say that make sure you have it on if your moving, I got yelled at last year for rolling through some of the parking area outside of hammer town. I literally moved 10 yards with a cup of coffee in my hand and one of the officers got on me after i came to a stop.

Agreed, def seems like some of the staff vehicles are more bicycle helmet style equipped.

I will say the full face and pumper was well worth it last year given the dust as usual.

If you plan on getting close at all…. Make sure anyone with you is able to climb, some hills, some rocks and be able to breathe some serious dusty conditions!!!!! Didn’t bother me at all, but I was so glad I was by myself…. No bitching or whining…… just doing whatever the fuck I want, when I want!!!!
Also…. To get a decent visual…. Your gonna have to sit your ass in a good spot well before (hours) the show!!!!!

Otherwise…. You might as well plant yourself on the couch with laptop/TV sitting in front of you!!!!!

If you plan on getting close at all…. Make sure anyone with you is able to climb, some hills, some rocks and be able to breathe some serious dusty conditions!!!!! Didn’t bother me at all, but I was so glad I was by myself…. No bitching or whining…… just doing whatever the fuck I want, when I want!!!!
Also…. To get a decent visual…. Your gonna have to sit your ass in a good spot well before (hours) the show!!!!!

Otherwise…. You might as well plant yourself on the couch with laptop/TV sitting in front of you!!!!!
Every year in race day I watch them all take off, go back to camp and make breakfast, and then take my chair over to the jumbotron in town and watch the race from there

That's how I usually do KOH! Feet up in a heated shop is a great way to see 98% more of the race than you get to see at the race.

Daughter is getting to that age where she probably won't be hanging out with her lame dad as much and I'm at that age where I'm not sure how many more trips my dad will be around for so we're going to make it happen.

That's how I usually do KOH! Feet up in a heated shop is a great way to see 98% more of the race than you get to see at the race.

Daughter is getting to that age where she probably won't be hanging out with her lame dad as much and I'm at that age where I'm not sure how many more trips my dad will be around for so we're going to make it happen.
Me and my buddy were talking about watching races at koh last year, he didnt want to help pit because he wanted to watch the race

I told him i fully expected to not wheel once, not see any racing and i was ok with it, any wheeling or races that we watched were a bonus

but going there is the worst way to watch the race :laughing: sitting at home watching the stream is the way to go

koh is also the worst time to go wheeling out there btw, tons of people and then tons of racers prerunning

Me and my buddy were talking about watching races at koh last year, he didnt want to help pit because he wanted to watch the race

I told him i fully expected to not wheel once, not see any racing and i was ok with it, any wheeling or races that we watched were a bonus

but going there is the worst way to watch the race :laughing: sitting at home watching the stream is the way to go

koh is also the worst time to go wheeling out there btw, tons of people and then tons of racers prerunning
Been 10x + and never brought a wheeler. If I want to go at night someone always has a seat and I can enjoy my beverages while not having to drive.

Been 10x + and never brought a wheeler. If I want to go at night someone always has a seat and I can enjoy my beverages while not having to drive.
yep, same here. I just use my rig to get around the lakebed to get photos at different spots, no real wheeling. At night if there's a night run, I sit in passenger seat with my drinks and provide helpful, yet drunken, insights.

That's all I'm bringing the SXS for is to get from A to B. Thing is useless in the rocks anyway. Breakover of a city bus.

Speaking of the golf cart, any issue with theft? I know the dirt community are generally good people but I don't usually hang out with 80k of them either. Should I leave the tool boxes and whatnot at camp? They are all strapped down.

That's all I'm bringing the SXS for is to get from A to B. Thing is useless in the rocks anyway. Breakover of a city bus.

Speaking of the golf cart, any issue with theft? I know the dirt community are generally good people but I don't usually hang out with 80k of them either. Should I leave the tool boxes and whatnot at camp? They are all strapped down.
Always hear stories of it but im also 100% careless of where I leave my pitbike laying around there and never had issue.

I wheeled all the popular trails last year no issue. it was pretty damn easy to get around out there the worst parts going to and from power hour and the shootout because traffic is bonkers then.

For those wanting sewer or water don’t try to get it first thing in the morning because they hit all the race teams first so you might as well wait till about 11 o’clock or later and cruise around until you find the guy.

We had a pick up bed of firewood piled up by the road and damn a full bar on a table under an easy up the whole week and nothing got touched. Along with a couple expensive coolers outside that were still there when we packed up to go home.

1701350084944.png

Seems like it. Also wondering what the Rock course pre-run actually is. Wonder where they're going to do the qualifications this year.

Is the Heavy Metal Concepts map still the best map on Avenza to see trails n whatnot? It’s from 2011 so I’m guessing there has to be something better. I know of OnX of course but I don’t use it.

Is the Heavy Metal Concepts map still the best map on Avenza to see trails n whatnot? It’s from 2011 so I’m guessing there has to be something better. I know of OnX of course but I don’t use it.
TurtleTrucks is the one I have saved. No experience on it personally.

IMG_6075.jpeg

Anyone else trying to make koh arrive sooner? I’ve almost started packing the crawler hauler twice now. Trying to find anything to do on the shitbox to pass the time.

Anyone interested in getting a camp/radio channel setup? Having others in camp to watch out for each others shit would be nice

View attachment 789254

Anyone else trying to make koh arrive sooner? I’ve almost started packing the crawler hauler twice now. Trying to find anything to do on the shitbox to pass the time.

Anyone interested in getting a camp/radio channel setup? Having others in camp to watch out for each others shit would be nice

View attachment 789254
Not quite ready yet but I did get my box full of extra tools n shit loaded yesterday
1000002374.jpg
1000002375.jpg
1000002376.jpg

I'll be there from Sunday to Sunday and camping with the WheelingwineWhiskey group. Don't know if anyone wants to do a meet up, but I'd be down for one. Probably Thursday would be the best since that's the day of the UTV race.

Starting to prep the motorhome already. My buddy and I will be there 1/30 - 2/4. Bringing my wheeling truck but only so we don't have to walk from camp to spectate. Not planning to lock the hubs if we don't have to. I haven't been since 2016, so it should be an interesting.

Starting to prep the motorhome already. My buddy and I will be there 1/30 - 2/4. Bringing my wheeling truck but only so we don't have to walk from camp to spectate. Not planning to lock the hubs if we don't have to. I haven't been since 2016, so it should be an interesting.
The only thing that's changed is the amount of traffic on the Lake bed, which kicks up a ton of dust but otherwise, not too bad.

For those wanting sewer or water don’t try to get it first thing in the morning because they hit all the race teams first so you might as well wait till about 11 o’clock or later and cruise around until you find the guy.

Do you recall what the sewer and water cost?

Seen a commercial for coverage on MavTV today while watching Dakar... is that a new deal? Don't remember seeing TV coverage before

Top Back Refresh