What's new

2021 KOH Picts Page

SurfnSnow

Member Number
Loc
Oakland, CA
Not sure if this is the right place to put them, but here's some pics from 2021's KOH. I'll post more as I work my way through all of the pics I got. First up, some pics from the Bronco Reveal
988f89e5-d590-46f9-baae-2d9dd0d23778_rw_1920.jpg?h=1583959709572a1042f32dad77ab5d4e.jpg

988f89e5-d590-46f9-baae-2d9dd0d23778_rw_1920.jpg?h=1583959709572a1042f32dad77ab5d4e.jpg

c510af17-c755-4bce-ad29-8ced477d3ec6_rw_1920.jpg?h=ed61646dc398efaaa7a274bd12d895cf.jpg

4b8885b0-27d2-4cc6-8414-b615ea0713c3_rw_1920.jpg?h=c338087af939722c032bb66ed1b1f442.jpg

Nice work! Did you shoot the EMC also or just 4400?

Thanks man! I shot the whole race with the exception of the UTV class and the T1 trucks. I'm barely half way done going through & editing my photos (roughly 4800 of them).
It's super fun to get photos but man with all the walking/hiking, it reminds me of how out of shape I am

What kind of camera gear were you sporting?

I had 2 Canon cameras: a 5D Mark IV with a 100-400mm telephoto lens and a 70D with a 18-135mm lens. I also had a 50mm lens with me but wound up not using it.
To carry them around when shooting, I have one of those harness things that you can attach your cameras too with having to hand carry them all day

I like the pictures! They look great!
I do really wish there would be more highlight videos of ULTRA 4. Or at least videos of different obstacles edited to not be 8 hours long. But oh well.

I do really wish there would be more highlight videos of ULTRA 4. Or at least videos of different obstacles edited to not be 8 hours long. But oh well.

Agreed. The live coverage is great and being able to watch it all again on youtube is awesome but I do miss the old KOH DVD's.
With all the "official" camera crew out there during the race there's gotta be tons of awesome footage noone ever gets to see.

The problem is that HammerKing lost their butts when they tried making DVDs. The amount of money, manpower and time so that maybe a few thousand people buy a DVD is not worth it. There’s a few film makers who’ve tried making movies about KOH but generally they aren’t very successful. It’s hard to understand the appeal of KOH if you’ve never been, especially if you don’t already know a fair amount about it or what it takes to compete.

The problem is that HammerKing lost their butts when they tried making DVDs. The amount of money, manpower and time so that maybe a few thousand people buy a DVD is not worth it. There’s a few film makers who’ve tried making movies about KOH but generally they aren’t very successful. It’s hard to understand the appeal of KOH if you’ve never been, especially if you don’t already know a fair amount about it or what it takes to compete.

I think you're onto something here. There's plenty of media people running around capturing all kinds of photos and video but the amount that's put online or shown is pretty small outside our own "group"

Yeah I blame social media for that. Facebook and Instagram have gotten so good at specifically steering people to what they think the people want to see, and they’re promoting the people that have managed to figure out the social media algorithms or are just lucky enough to be famous already. It’s insane to me that some little 12 year old girl could have tens of thousands of followers for not really doing anything and the average Ultra4 racer who spends thousands of dollars a year on media has maybe 2k followers (like me :laughing::laughing:) the only way to break that is to have social media influencers be involved in our sports, like Lightbright Nation, Vaughn Gittin, etc.

I've never watched Lite Brite's stuff before, and I know they were getting some hate in the Chit Chat thread, but the KOH video they edited was the best race video I have seen any team put out. It is really worth watching if you want to get a feel for what the entire race is like other than a two minute highlight reel or the disjointed race day coverage.

Yeah I blame social media for that. Facebook and Instagram have gotten so good at specifically steering people to what they think the people want to see, and they’re promoting the people that have managed to figure out the social media algorithms or are just lucky enough to be famous already. It’s insane to me that some little 12 year old girl could have tens of thousands of followers for not really doing anything and the average Ultra4 racer who spends thousands of dollars a year on media has maybe 2k followers (like me :laughing::laughing:) the only way to break that is to have social media influencers be involved in our sports, like Lightbright Nation, Vaughn Gittin, etc.

I am one of those 2k followers.

Yeah I blame social media for that. Facebook and Instagram have gotten so good at specifically steering people to what they think the people want to see

Very true. Since they are both owned by FB, the data they harvest is incredible. Instagram is soaring in popularity and screen time because of their 'unique content' policy. You'll notice it's a PIA to try and share another post. People are drawn to profiles because there isn't the same crap posted and reposted by all their friends. Stuff is posted and reposted and reposted on FB though .... so all that reposted garbage on FB is tracked and thats how they know what IG tunnels to send you down for new content.

Now .... I need to get back to my IG post that takes forever to prepare lol

Yeah, that's another good point Austin. When I first started using Intagram, I thought just posting a photo was good enough. Now I have to think about which image to post along with the appropriate tags and @'s etc. Which actually makes me think about who am I trying to target, why am I trying to target that audience, which overall makes me more mindful of what I post

How much money are you spending per season in social media coverage ?

Dave Cole said it best :

Dave Cole said:
You guys are looking at this wrong.

Can you race TT with a LS Motor, YES

Can you win, No

So you go to a motor guy and pay for better parts.

Why would you not blink at 40k for a motor that, by its existence, does nothing to increase your revenue, but you wont spend 5,10,20k on a social media and content plan that virtually guarantees a return.

Social Media and Content is just another tool in the toolbox.

Want to play in the deep end of the pool, learn to swim.

Read this thread and watch the video, it's very informative :

https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/th...racing.135582/

Top Back Refresh