What's new

2021 Gardening thread

Built the new bed on the left side to take up some more sq/ft and then threw gravel down. The wisteria on the chain link on the left grows out pretty wide, so didn't want the bed too close to that. Throwing around the idea of putting a small greenhouse in the back corner, but probably won't happen this year. Still need to get the beds topped off with soil, ran out of time before the weather turned to shit. Takes longer to get shit done with a 1 month old in the house. I'm basically just the builder & the wife does the actual gardening.

IMG_20210423_153732~2.jpg

Built the new bed on the left side to take up some more sq/ft and then threw gravel down. The wisteria on the chain link on the left grows out pretty wide, so didn't want the bed too close to that. Throwing around the idea of putting a small greenhouse in the back corner, but probably won't happen this year. Still need to get the beds topped off with soil, ran out of time before the weather turned to shit. Takes longer to get shit done with a 1 month old in the house. I'm basically just the builder & the wife does the actual gardening.

IMG_20210423_153732~2.jpg
Looks great! My parents neighbors who taught me how to garden had a very similar set up and it's still being used by their kids 50ish years later. They never let any weeds take hold and were a bit anal retentive. They would vacuum their back yard concrete with a shop vac weekly.:lmao:

Looks great! My parents neighbors who taught me how to garden had a very similar set up and it's still being used by their kids 50ish years later. They never let any weeds take hold and were a bit anal retentive. They would vacuum their back yard concrete with a shop vac weekly.:lmao:

Thanks! Definitely looking to keep the weeds/maintenance down. Though I don't think I'll be vacuuming the gravel, lol.

Got my broccoli, cilantro, and romaine ready for planting tomorrow.
IMG_0395.jpg

My daughter is doing an experiment with beans for school this year. We will see how it works out.

Got my broccoli, more spinach, and peas in the ground. Put my Yukon gold spuds in the ground. My back said fuck you when I thought about digging in the rest of my spuds (russets reds and a few purples). Also cant remember what Spuds I planted last fall as an experiment. Still need to put garlic and onion in as well. Still waiting to plant tomatoes squash (icebox watermelon, zucchini, salad cucumber, pickling cucumber, spaghetti, sugar/howden and giant pumpkins) sun flower starts needed to be started over. Cant direct sow them as everything decimates them when they come up. Even covered shit still finds a way. And a handfuls of other shit still to be decided. So much shit to get done including trench in a water supply line so I can automate the watering. Its hot here in the summer so twice a day becomes necessary on some stretches if I want to maintain my tomato production.

you guys that plant potatoes do you plant in the ground like corn and other seed crops?

My Dad plants his on top of the ground then rakes the soil up over them in a ridge. as they grow up he keeps raking more soil up. He ends up with a ridge about 12-16" high when it's all done. The potatoes grow really well since they can push the soil out easier and not have to push against the ground.

you guys that plant potatoes do you plant in the ground like corn and other seed crops?

My Dad plants his on top of the ground then rakes the soil up over them in a ridge. as they grow up he keeps raking more soil up. He ends up with a ridge about 12-16" high when it's all done. The potatoes grow really well since they can push the soil out easier and not have to push against the ground.
I do mine in 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in the bottom. Makes it stupid easy to harvest.

Anyone have any secret tips or recipes for growing tomatoes?

I did them in buckets last year. Last fall I made a 16x4 ft space where I dumped a mound of compost/soil for them this year. I plan to raise the mound a bit more when its time to plant so it will be 50/50 in ground/in mound.

Mix compost in soil to feed them. They are thirsty plants so keep em watered. Cut off the lower limbs to keep the plants from touching the ground (diseases).

That's all I got.

Lots of sun and lots of water. If it doesn’t cool off at night at least into the 80’s I like to flood them at night as well. Just dont get any water on the leaves or they could blight. I also burry they about 80% when I transplant the seedlings outdoors. Top them with compost as well to help keep with water retention as well as slow feed of nutrients. They can be heavy feeders if you let them. Best crop I have had to date was 4 beef stake plants I grew at my last house in 5gallon buckets on the deck. I had them all the way up on the roof. Climbed up every 3 days or so to harvest from the top🤣. They were 10-12’ tall. 8’ tall plants is fairly common for me.

How many pounds do you harvest out of an average bucket. Going to try a lot of spuds this year.
For big potatoes (russet and yukon gold) about 1.5 lbs. The fingerlings and little reds can grow like crazy in there if conditions are right.

Mound or "layer" the eyes in a "parfait" of dirt to about 4 eyes per layer. I usually do 8 eyes per bucket.

What’s the best fabric option that won’t burn the plants up?

What’s the best fabric option that won’t burn the plants up?

Deck zucchini in pots. Up next: bell peppers, poblanos, jalapeños, cayenne, tabasco, orange bomb, and pepperoncini.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpeg
    IMG_0342.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
Potatoes in a chicken wire ring do great. Start them at the bottom in soil with a straw cover. When the leaves emerge and are strong add more soil and cover with straw barely covering the leaves. Continue this until the potatoes are 2 to 3 ft tall in the surround. The other option is to use posts on corners. i'll probalby try this with bamboo this year. then build walls with boards or more bamboo. The nice thing is being able to pull off the bottom rungs and access the most developed potatoes without having to harvest the small ones too.

My best yield for spuds last year was massively late, started in June:eek:, and with seed taters that I forgot about. Chucked them in an old raised bed box that was damn near falling apart Compost on the bottom taters on top of compost and then shitty dirt to cover as they grew. Did about18-20” of cover and them just fucking ignored them. No consistent water or nothing. Dug them this spring:lmao: probably got5 lbs of russets. 2 lbs of yukon golds and a fuck ton of reds. Those are my seed potatoes this year. I found out elk wont eat them so thats great. They nibbled on them once last year and left them alone after that. I tried taters in burlap bags and got zip:homer:. So its the raised bed again, just put about 25’ of them in the ground and now will do 2 buckets of reds to see what happens. Also trying to get my remaining garlic and onions in the ground today. Hopefully I get enough shit done this morning so I canreplace the Yukon window kotor while my
youngest naps. Tgat way I can set up a air gun course for the kids this weekend. Going to be culling so roosters for a BBQ this saturday and figured all the kiddos will have some fun shooting paper plates in the woods. If they are good and do what they are told we may break out the .22’s. But thats a game time decision.

Anyone deal with gophers? They were everywhere last year. Lost a few tomatoes plants.
Thinking of line the hole with wire, or just saying fuck it and planting in 5G buckets this year

Anyone deal with gophers? They were everywhere last year. Lost a few tomatoes plants.
Thinking of line the hole with wire, or just saying fuck it and planting in 5G buckets this year
No gopher, but we have a muskrat that has taken up under the shed of the neighbor. I may have to take some night vision home and dispatch him.

Find a fresh hole. Route your exhaust into said hole, by the time you finish a 6 pack it should be taken care of. Just like that greenhouse gasses save the day:flipoff2:

edit: find a neighbor or friend with a Jack Russell type dog. Let it handle the problem. Or just shit in the gopher hole to establish dominance.

LC_Education_2_Safety.jpg

98s1fLV.gif

Top Back Refresh