What's new

2021 Gardening thread

Killing grass with a hose = Bad

Killing grass with a trailer = Acceptable :confused:

I didn't have to go near as far as you do, but I ran hose out to my drip irrigation and used a quick connect to coil it up for mowing.

You can't dig a slit trench just deep enough for some black poly pipe, blow it out with air at the end of the season?

I dont care about the grass in the garden section its the yard directly next to the house Id rather not kill. So the tank sitting over by the beds is fine.

The trench and pipe was my initial thought but having the drainage ditch between where I need to run it makes it more difficult. The route I would have to take is quite a bit longer at that point because of it.

For $90 each I can pick up food grade IBC 275gal tanks. I think Im going to buy 2, station one at the garden and fill the other off my shed gutter, then pick up a 12 volt pump to run off my grizzly to transfer water.

i aint got time for that. the soil was what ever the local nursery delivered. just figured i needed to "freshen" it up.

Compost.

Check out Charles Dowding on youtube.

Last year in October I added a couple inches of horse manure and mushroom compost to all the beds and put down a top dressing of mulched leaves to protect it over winter. This gave it time to work into the soil so it will be ready come spring.

Built this today to sow my seeds. I should have made this years ago. It simplifies the whole process by providing light for the plants and warmth for the germination trays.

photo54844.jpg

photo54845.jpg

photo54846.jpg

photo54847.jpg

Got seed started in the cold frame last week. Expecting the first sprouts next week. Supposed to snow 1-3” tonight with 20mph winds after 1/2 rain today. Love spring:lmao:

Any experts on grape plants? I got these plants about a month ago. They are supposed to stay dormant but they were growing like that before purchase. I am not sure if I should plant them now or wait till after last frost.

photo55935.jpg

Got my garden tilled up tonight. We, by we, I mean I plant a fair sized salsa garden, tomatoes mostly. Grew a bunch of jalapenos last year that are still in the freezer. Also grew some cucumbers on a cattle panel to keep them off the dirt and make it easier to pick.

I plan to plan 24ish tomatoes, 3-4 cukes and some Bell peppers.

I tore out a raised strawberry bed and tilled it up also. I am contemplating growing some hot peppers there to keep them away from the rest of the garden plants. I don't need any ghost peppers or scorpions but I am open to ideas.

I wish y'll would at least put what state you live in other than the state of confusion, we're zone 6a don't even think about planting till May take this week, most of the week in the 7os during the day 50s at night this morning it was in the 20* and warmed up to a balmy 42*

Going to till the garden this week. Also building some more raised beds. That I am putting around some of our young fruit trees to give extra growing area that I dont have to worry about disturbing the roots.

Temp hoop house with irrigation is working well in my big raised bed. Zone 6b. Trying more companion plants this time.

0410211823.jpg

I tore out a raised strawberry bed and tilled it up also. I am contemplating growing some hot peppers there to keep them away from the rest of the garden plants. I don't need any ghost peppers or scorpions but I am open to ideas.

Try some shishito, mild and some Padron's, which are a little hotter

Sowing a bunch of tomatoes and have a few Big Mama tomatoes but they all dying for some reason. They got about 7" tall and started going limp. All the other tomato varieties are doing fine.

Anyone have any solutions for not having water close by? The location we are going to use for this year is a side yard plot that is about 125ft away from the closest hose bib. I dont want to have to snake out a hose every day for water nor do I want to leave one run and kill my grass/ get run over by the mower. Anyone use a water trailer or anything else? I thought about running water out there but I live in an ultra rocky area of New England so trenching will not be fun and there is drainage ditch in between the house and the side yard. Ive been contemplating a trailer setup with big poly tank to fill periodically and leave over there.
Just read this. I'm in the same boat, but not as much distance. I'm thinking of running a cheap 115v submersible pump in the rain barrel (which is near the hose/outdoor spigot for easy fill during the summer). Then setting up a barrel with a gravity spigot near my planter boxes. Intend on using that to fill watering cans. I was going to fashion a quick disconnect hose setup for transfer of water from barrel to barrel.

If it is successful, maybe next year burying the hose underground.

Just read this. I'm in the same boat, but not as much distance. I'm thinking of running a cheap 115v submersible pump in the rain barrel (which is near the hose/outdoor spigot for easy fill during the summer). Then setting up a barrel with a gravity spigot near my planter boxes. Intend on using that to fill watering cans. I was going to fashion a quick disconnect hose setup for transfer of water from barrel to barrel.

If it is successful, maybe next year burying the hose underground.
Look up self wicking beds. They work well and depends on the size only need to be refilled every few days to weeks.

Trying container gardening on the front deck this year.

So far we have...

Strawberries,
Raspberries,
Peppers (Bell, and some other sweet pepper)
Tomatoes (Roma and Beefsteak?)

Just started Japanese cucumber, and seedless watermelon.

Probably more to add as I find time

Calling for 1-2" of snow tonight here in west central MO!

Talked to my dad this weekend and he said his taters are up an inch or two. I am ready to get the tomatoes in the ground but it's still a month too early. Few years ago I planted now and while they didn't freeze, they didn't grow at all. The ground is just too cool yet.

Things are starting to take off. Had some of our first lettuce last night and finishing off the winter carrots and onions. Probably pull the rest of those and the leaks and put the cantelope starts in soon.

Attachments

• 20210419_164549.jpg
    20210419_164549.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210419_164621.jpg
    20210419_164621.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 36
Calling for 1-2" of snow tonight here in west central MO!

Talked to my dad this weekend and he said his taters are up an inch or two. I am ready to get the tomatoes in the ground but it's still a month too early. Few years ago I planted now and while they didn't freeze, they didn't grow at all. The ground is just too cool yet.
I am in PA and we planted in Mid May last year. Got hit with a frost that wiped out everything, even the stuff we covered. I am not planting till end of May this year.

Yeah I don’t plant anything outside until Memorial Day at the soonest (peas and onions are the exception) Anything sooner and your asking for trouble.

Yeah I don’t plant anything outside until Memorial Day at the soonest (peas and onions are the exception) Anything sooner and your asking for trouble.
Yup.

Rain they said......:laughing:

Attachments

• 20210421_064235.jpg
    20210421_064235.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • 20210421_064343.jpg
    20210421_064343.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
My sowing station just got bigger...

Attachments

• 20210421_212020.jpg
    20210421_212020.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 33
Planted some hops for the first time this year. Normally just do tomatoes. No idea what i'm doing but apparently they are mostly a weed and if you give them room to climb, good to go. Lets see

I planted a few weeks ago, got the drip lines put in yesterday. We had drip in the past, but not the last few years. We got tired of watering without it. I forgot I ordered adjustable drippers, and put them in without adjusting. That’s why there are bigger wet spots than I’d like, already adjusted for next time. Might plant a few other things too.

031E0B6D-7F73-48EB-961B-BB1497C9058B.jpeg

EF482946-84FD-47D1-AABE-5FE53A9B544E.jpeg

6161EF04-FCA8-400F-9C1D-F7586DF5D0E7.jpeg

Getting the ground ready.

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpeg
    IMG_0330.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 29
Plants grown indoors from seed, acclimating for outside.

Attachments

• IMG_0334.jpeg
    IMG_0334.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 38
16 tomato plants in the ground. I'll also plant cucumbers and pole beans in the garden. I'll grow zucchini, and all sorts of herbs in pots on my deck.

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpeg
    IMG_0341.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 30
Top Back Refresh