What's new

2021 Gardening thread

Well the compost tea helped out vegetative growth but 2 more massive heat spikes fucked my garden for the year. Cucumbers did well. Tomatoes not so much, zero pumpkins set fruit, same with zucchini.

Starting aother round of lettuce, spinich, green beans amd maybe try some peas with the cooler nights.

Berries did well no on blackberries, probably picked 10lbs so far and have another 30 or so to go ish. Might try some blackberry wine this year.
Maybe try shade cloth next time? I get full intense sun on most of my garden and some veggies need the shade cloth to stay cool.

Last edited:
Maybe try shade cloth next time? I get full intense sun on most of my garden and some veggies need the shade cloth to stay cool.
Agreed on the shade cloth, I just added it to my raised beds to try to tame the 90 degree days we are still having.

Thefishguy, are you using some kind of mulch or ground cover?

Last edited:
Our 8-28-2021 harvest And cucumbers on 9-6-2021. From July 9 to date we have picked 43 buckets of pickling cucumbers and an untold amount of the long slicers.
Nice harvest!!! I am jealous of the kohlrabi, I just discovered it this year. I have 20 kohlrabi seedlings sitting outside about to go in the dirt in the next couple of days.

Any pics of the garden?

We had crazy swings this year. But I will look into it for next year. We went of 65 daytime average to 65-75-100-105-110-116-105-75. Then back to normal 80’s and sunny. Stuff did ok again then we did the 100 plus shit agin for a week and back to normal for a few weeks then back up to 100+ for a few days. Everyone in town struggled.

20210915_132521.jpg

I got around 25 lb of tomatoes, 5 lb zucchini and 3 lb of carrots and 1lb green beans . First time trying raised boxes didn't work out so well. Was way over crowded and killed a lot of the smaller crops

Attachments

• 20210912_101321.jpg
    20210912_101321.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210906_163027.jpg
    20210906_163027.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
I got around 25 lb of tomatoes, 5 lb zucchini and 3 lb of carrots and 1lb green beans . First time trying raised boxes didn't work out so well. Was way over crowded and killed a lot of the smaller crops
I think the learning experience is what its all about. Keep your brain working and the garden works itself out. The harvest looks great!

Here is my latest harvest, only pulling stuff once a week for the most part.
0917211929a.jpg
0917211942_HDR.jpg

How do you size your garden? I'm looking at a mix of squash, peppers(spicy and bell), onions, etc... the final tally is up in the air. I'm also considering "unwilding" the wild black berries around my yard. It will feed two of us.

Any choices of items that can or freeze better than others?

Also, how fortified do you have to make it? I've got "small" black tail deer, black bears, turkeys, rabbits, and bob cats that I've seen. I've smelt skunk. I'm curious how sturdy and tall of a fence I'll need to consider.

Mine is all just fucking around and seeing what happens. Small, right outside of town neighborhood. I am fortunate to not have much animal pressure, mainly bugs.

Couple pics:
0929211647b_HDR.jpg

0929211656_HDR.jpg

Red bell pepper had 16 peppers on it!
0927211455.jpg

The last watermelon was good, also a shot of the new serbian chefs knife. First saw them on a crazy youtube channel called Farm Life Vlog. If you like my hippie garden and self sustainability but dont neccesarily need to hear someone yapping the whole time, check it out. Its in Azerbaijan and they dont speak english, well they dont really speak much at all :lmao::lmao:.
0923212037.jpg

We finished the cucumber season at 52 buckets with an untold amount of slicers. We have pulled them out other than a couple to snack on. We have been picking tomatoes, bell peppers and jalapeno's to make salsa. So far we have done 33 pints of salsa and 12 pints of sauce. We will be making many more batch's of each.

We also had a couple dozen watermelons, cantaloupe and muskmelon.
This weekend was potato time. Three kinds of potatoes, Two are on the tars and the third filled our yard trailer.

We are still picking onions, tomatoes and peppers with a few cucumbers mixed in.

Attachments

• potatoes 2021.jpg
    potatoes 2021.jpg
    605.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 2021 potatoes.jpg
    2021 potatoes.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 16
We finished the cucumber season at 52 buckets with an untold amount of slicers. We have pulled them out other than a couple to snack on. We have been picking tomatoes, bell peppers and jalapeno's to make salsa. So far we have done 33 pints of salsa and 12 pints of sauce. We will be making many more batch's of each.

We also had a couple dozen watermelons, cantaloupe and muskmelon.
This weekend was potato time. Three kinds of potatoes, Two are on the tars and the third filled our yard trailer.

We are still picking onions, tomatoes and peppers with a few cucumbers mixed in.
nice haul on the taters.. where are you going to store them to keep them from spoiling?

I think the learning experience is what its all about. Keep your brain working and the garden works itself out. The harvest looks great!

Here is my latest harvest, only pulling stuff once a week for the most part.
0917211929a.jpg
0917211942_HDR.jpg
Totally agree, my oldest just turned 3 so he's been helping me with it all summer. Good learning experience for him too

Made a batch of hot sauce with habenaros and batch with Caribbean heat peppers. Its hot as all fuck. 😂😂
1002211827_HDR.jpg
1002211902_HDR.jpg
1002211918_HDR.jpg

Since the season is coming to a close for most of us. Let's talk prep for next year.. Do any of you guys/gals plant a cover crop to help protect from erosion over the winter? Doing a little google search it looks like this website recommends Winter Rye. Cover Crop article

Winter Rye seed

We got some apples and made 44 quarts of pie filling and 60 pints of apple jelly.

We have also done 32 pints of salsa with more to come as the garden produces more tomatoes, onions and peppers.

Attachments

• pie filling.jpg
    pie filling.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 9
  • apple jelly.jpg
    apple jelly.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 10
Found this avocado plant growing within the tomato plants when I tore down the garden, seed was from the compost I put in like 6 months ago. Tossed in in a pot under a small grow light and water it with coffee every few days. The leaves have doubled in size in less then 2 weeks

Attachments

• 20211011_124836.jpg
    20211011_124836.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
Since the season is coming to a close for most of us. Let's talk prep for next year.. Do any of you guys/gals plant a cover crop to help protect from erosion over the winter? Doing a little google search it looks like this website recommends Winter Rye. Cover Crop article

Winter Rye seed
As a matter of fact last week/weekend I cleaned up all of the (4+) raised beds, added ~1-1/2 C. yards of some really nice compost to the beds, and I'm getting ready to plant my garlic around 10/21. My garlic last/this year was awesome! A bit of an effort to prep the cloves & such, but I had a great crop!
Last year (and I'll do it again this year) I planted winter wheat in the other beds. Man, does it grow fast & pretty! Kind of a pain to turn it under in the spring and I'm not that sure that if helped the soil but it did keep the soil stable. (I don't really have erosion but it doesn't 'splash' with the cover crop). How 'bout you? Did you, and do you feel it is worth the effort? I'm in Springfield, MO and I think you are StL or KC?

I have a current fall garden going, I will take some pictures later. I am holding out hope to get a harvest before it gets too cold.

I am about to prep new ground for some 30" market beds. The plan is to cardboard and compost a 100'x24' easement between the rear neighbors. I will probably slightly till it first. I am going to look at a gravely two wheel tractor bundle this coming weekend. I will probably try out most of the attachements to see what they do, then get a couple loads of compost dumped.
I am considering a more detailed thread in the park to follow my market garden journey. What do you guys think?

As a matter of fact last week/weekend I cleaned up all of the (4+) raised beds, added ~1-1/2 C. yards of some really nice compost to the beds, and I'm getting ready to plant my garlic around 10/21. My garlic last/this year was awesome! A bit of an effort to prep the cloves & such, but I had a great crop!
Last year (and I'll do it again this year) I planted winter wheat in the other beds. Man, does it grow fast & pretty! Kind of a pain to turn it under in the spring and I'm not that sure that if helped the soil but it did keep the soil stable. (I don't really have erosion but it doesn't 'splash' with the cover crop). How 'bout you? Did you, and do you feel it is worth the effort? I'm in Springfield, MO and I think you are StL or KC?
I'm up by KC. I haven't done the cover crop in the past but that winter rye that I linked is cheap enough and the online article I read said it tills down in the spring easy enough as long as you don't let it bloom. It also helps add nitrogen to the soil.

I just hauled in about ten or twelve yards of soil to build the garden level back up. I need to spread it out then I'll sow the rye.

Top Back Refresh